Best route from Lake Charles to Houston Space center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Hwy 146 is a good road and takes you to the end of NASA rd 1 in Seabrook, note NASA rd 1 is being converted into the elevated NASA parkway, when I last drove through the area 3 or 4 years ago they had completed the western end of the parkway between I-45 to just west of the space center.  I am not sure when / if it will be extended to Hwy 146.  I don't know if you are planning on driving your RV, but you should be aware that the space center museum has pay parking, I am not sure about RV parking and even for cars it was around $8-10 the last time I was there.  As to getting there, consider Hwy 73 from Orange to Winnie, TX, my mother in law lives in Lake Charles and works for a company in Houston (tele-commutes 90% of the time) and she always skips the Beaumont area of I-10 where construction is going on using this route, and claims it is faster)

One word of caution though, the when going west bound on the Hwy 73 route you will have to cross the Rainbow bridge in Bridge City, TX.  This was the tallest bridge in Texas for many decades (built in the 1930's) , it is somewhat steep and narrow, though thankfully for the last 30 years it has been south / west bound only since the contruction of the Veterans Bridge which carries the north / east bound traffic, which is wider and much longer so not as steep.

See https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/RainbowBridge_%28Texas%29.jpg

I hated driving over that bridge back when it was a 2 way bridge when I was a teenager

p.s. going down Hwy 146, will take you over the current tallest bridge in Texas, the Fred Hartman bridge, though at over 2.5 miles long and 8 lanes wide, it is not nearly as dramatic of experience.

Back
Top Bottom