Common failures on trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gray

I currently own a 2010 Ford F150.  I bought it to tow a TT.  I now know it's too small for my TT.

I will be upgrading but I would like to do a bit more research this time.

My F150 has a "common failure" right now.  It seems the 5.4L engine has a system that varies the valve timing. The Cam gear (called phasers) are rotary actuators. They are controlled by solenoid valves (one in each head) . These "Variable Cam Timing" solenoids (VCT solenoids) are controlled by the trucks computer.  When the VCTs stick, the cam timing gets stuck in either an advanced or retarded position.  The result is that the engine runs terrible near idle and through acceleration.
From what I have found, there are knowledgable Ford people that believe this failure is very common in higher milage engines and occurs frequently in lower milage engines (40k to 100k) that have not been serviced regularly.  Mine has only got 75k on it.  I bought it with 70k.

So now I'm looking to upgrade to a F350 with the 6.7 diesel.  Have any of you 6.7 owners uncovered any, "common failures" that I should be aware ?

I would really appreciate knowing what things to look at when choosing my next truck.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well, quite honestly, I've never heard of that "common failure" you are referring to.  Doesn't mean it isn't so, just that I haven't heard of it.  I had a 2003 F-250 with the 5.4L that was rock solid (never saw a shop for anything other than routine maintenance).  I sold it with 125K, and the guy I sold it to put another 50K or so on it before someone whacked him and totaled the truck. 

So that said, how big is this TT that you feel you need to jump from an F-150 to a F-350? Things to be aware of with the 6.7L are, try to pass on an '11 or '12 (it seems like you are looking at only used).  My '11 dropped a valve at 78K.  That was supposed to be common of the early build engines, but mine was a later build and still failed.  Also, the radiator's still seem to be a bit of an issue.  And the DEF heaters seem are an issue.  I had one replaced on my '11 under warranty.

I think there are probably some other things people will chime in with, but these are the main ones I've seen.  I bought another 6.7L even after the devastating loss of my '11 so prematurely.  I believe that thy must have all these kinks worked out after 8 years.  Anyway, hope this helps some.  Good luck.

My 2013 only has 11K miles so far, and no issues.  I have talked to folks with DEF problems on the '11 and '12 models.  Being a new motor, it was a kink to be worked out.

I pull a 15K FW and it barely knows it is back there.  Even on hills of eastern KY, the cruise can hold the speed at 60 mph +/- 2 mph.  Lots of pulling power.

2003 5.4L truck engines probably did not have variable valve timing so the issue the OP posted probably would not have happened on an older one. 

Im sure you already know this since you are looking at 6.7L trucks, stay away from the years with the 6.0L powerstroke. 

A problem could occur often enough to be known to mechanics who specialize in that brand of engine, but still not be "common" enough to affect most or even many owners.  Makes little difference here, since apparently Gray's F150 has it and now he wants a different truck rather than repairing the old one.

The 6.7L Ford diesel was developed to eliminate some "common" problems of its predecessors, but any engine will have some set of things that happen a bit more frequently than others. Here are some articles on ther 6.7L potential problems. I wouldn't say any of them are frequent, though.

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.7-power-stroke-problems.html

https://www.expertswrite.net/6-7l-power-stroke/common-problems.html

https://www.littlepowershop.com/ford-6-7-powerstroke-diesel-common-issues-problems-and-fixes/

Sorry to hear about your Ford 5.4L woes, I too have a 2008 Expedition with the same condition. Apparently around 2014 Ford changed the design to correct this flaw.
I'd like to point out that more than one version of the 5.4L engine exist, that may be why the F250/F350 folks aren't seeing this.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A problem could occur often enough to be known to mechanics who specialize in that brand of engine, but still not be "common" enough to affect most or even many owners.  Makes little difference here, since apparently Gray's F150 has it and now he wants a different truck rather than repair the old one.

Thanks for your reply.
I just got my truck back from theocal Ford dealership.  $2980 later, I'm back on the road.(I bought a warranty on this truck And only had to pay $351)

I want a different truck because my trailer is About 34 feet tongue to tail and about 8k pounds loaded.
My F150 pulls it but everything I'm reading says I have too much trailer or too little truck.

That is why I'm looking to upsize the truck.

The kind of things I'm learning may help minimize expensive fixes in the future.

Things like the 6.7L lubricates the high pressure fuel pump bearings with diesel fuel that feeds the fuel ras after serving as a lubricant.  If and when the fuel pump bearings fail, the fuel lines,fuel rails, injectors and everything else down stream of the fuel pump, are hammered with metal shards.  The fix can cost up to $9k.

$400 can buy a kit that cycles the lube fuel back to the upstream side of the fuel filters, so if the fuel pump bearings fail, the damage is limited to the fuel pump and fuel filters.

I'm also learning about the EGR valve.  It seem there is a common practice of deleting the EGR. That eliminates a major maintenance headache. I'm not sure how that will affect the DEQ inspections, but I expect it will not be a good time.

8Muddypaws said:
Just curious.  How much did it cost to replace the actuator?

Just under $3000.  I bought a warranty on this truck and am only out of pocket $351.

It looks like the main problem with the 5.4L cam timing is sludge.  On my 2010, the change oil warning comes up every 10k miles.  That is ok if you use full synthetic oil.  If you use a blend you should change it every 5k miles.  Sludge plugs small oil passages and causes the VCT Solenoids to stick.  Lesson learned.... Change your oil every 5k.

On the 2008 model year the recommended oil change was every 7,500 miles except for special circumstances  (towing),
Then the recommendation is oil/filter change every 5,000 miles. I was using the 5k guidelines and still had issues, just a marginal design (IMO)

If you are looking at a used 6.7, the valve issue was corrected 3/29/2011. 

Ford, Chevy and now Ram use the same high pressure fuel pump and they can detonate, the $400 fix is only partial depending on how the pump failed.  I run Power Service Diesel Kleen that is a cetane booster and lubricant.  Fuel with some biodesel does provide better lubrication for the pump.  Bosch made the pump and the USA fuels are just too dry.

I wouldn't be concerned with the EGR.

Radiator leaks are all too common, look at the drivers side bottom for that issue.

The cold side pipe is another thing I would upgrade because they fail frequently and it is a very easy job. https://rudysdiesel.com/i-30497972-cold-side-intercooler-pipe-upgrade-kit-for-11-16-6-7-powerstroke.html

Other than that, they are just what you want.

Any brand truck with with a DEF system has issues because of the system but many can be deleted. Ford is the easiest to do a DPF delete once your out of warranty.

It's a shame to spend $60,000+ for a truck, with a $10,000 drive train option and have to worry when, not if, it will have to have a multi-thousand dollar repair. It seems it will happen in less than 100,000 miles.

solarman said:
The most common failure i have seen on a truck is the DRIVER !!!  ;D ;D

:)) :)) ...I've done a lot of driving in the last 5 years. The amount of stupid things I've seen people do with their trucks seems to have no end.

Back
Top Bottom