True or False

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigmau

1.  The generator will automatically shuts off if the fuel (gasoline) in the main tank reaches about 1/4 as to not deplete all the fuel for the engine. (This was said to me during the introduction)

2.  Does the engine alternator also charges the house batteries and on the other hand, does the generator keeps the engine battery charged?

These questions are for a Class C.

Bigmau said:
1.  The generator will automatically shuts off if the fuel (gasoline) in the main tank reaches about 1/4 as to not deplete all the fuel for the engine. (This was said to me during the introduction)

2.  Does the engine alternator also charges the house batteries and on the other hand, does the generator keeps the engine battery charged?

These questions are for a Class C.

1) true
2) yes and maybe. With the genset running (and unplugged from shore power) check voltage at the engine  battery, if it's over 12.6V then yes. Shutoff genset and plugin, should be the same

As said, #1 is true, as the first part of #2. The generator and shore power supply the converter/charger that charges the house batteries, and may charge the engine battery if equipped for it. Scott's test will determine that, and if the engine battery is not being charged by generator/shore power, then there are aftermarket devices that will add that feature.

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Every motor home I've seen yes at about a quarter tank (Some a bit more.. some less) the generator runs out of "Gas". that way (and I'm thankful for it) you can get to the station for a refill. (Happened to me twice so far. THough one time would not have been an issue as I could have coasted to the pump)

ANd yes the Alternator is supposed to charge ALL batteries.. On many modern motor homes the reverse is also true (The house converter charges ALL batterierds)

A device called an ISOLATOR keepd them seperated if you are not "Charging" or is supposed to. Many Motor homes today have a BIRD.. Bidirectional Isolator Relay Device that works both ways.. NOt all

If yours does not a Trick-L-Start proferms the "Reverse" function.

Back
Top Bottom