Best Job You Ever Had

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooperhawk said:
There is a book called the "Governmental Grid" that was part of one of my management courses that outlined all of this along with numbers, and lot more.

I found the book and I gave the wrong title for it.  It's called "The Managerial Grid III".

An old saying of mine was, "Just let me have one free from appeal firing a month and I will improve employee attitude very quickly".  Probably would only need to fire a couple to get the job done.

Or, "The beatings won't stop until morale improves."

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. There are so many interesting stories.
I guess I'm a little outside the box. I've only seen someone else's signature on my paycheck for 5 of the 46 years since I finished school.
Right out of college I took over my parents' small-town hobby and craft shop (where I'd started out sweeping floors and washing windows in my elementary school years)  and I began buying them out. That formed the basis of their retirement fund, as they couldn't have gotten nearly as much for the shop had they tried to sell it in the marketplace.
Over the years my wife and I added and deleted departments as the markets changed, opened a mail-order sales channel, a second store in another city, and in 1995 built a site on this new "world wide web" thing and began taking web orders.
It was all a struggle, done on a shoestring. We couldn't afford order-processing software that worked well enough, so I taught myself to write my own. When we needed to track inventory in two stores we couldn't afford the commercial software for that, so I wrote my own POS/inventory system. Same with the web site. I hand-coded HTML in a text editor.
I'm proud of what we accomplished, but those years were a roller-coaster of pain and triumph as, after about 1980, the hobby industry inexorably shrank.
As the web-based channel grew it made sense to shut down the brick-and-mortar stores. Those years of web-only sales were the most efficient, profitable, and fun of my decades in retail. But 30+ years is a long time to do anything, and I got the itch to do something different. My wife took control of the web business while I started exploring other options.
It was now the height of the housing boom, so I became a real estate broker for a few years. I did OK, but when I saw the craziness of the lenders and the buyers (No loan was too risky, no price was too high) I knew it couldn't go on. I found myself trying to talk buyers out of bidding on overpriced properties that they couldn't afford to pay off, to no avail. So I decided to get out. That was just before the bubble burst. I left with a clear conscience and a huge sigh of relief.
Since I'd enjoyed  developing the business?s computer applications so much, I started taking classes to fill in the gaps in my knowledge and get some official-type credentials. My first job was a 6-month contract obtained through a recruiting firm. After that I spent the next 18 months with a large travel/hospitality company, managing Linux servers and websites and co-developing an email drip marketing application. That was the worst job I ever had. Unpleasant boss, miserable daily commute, high pressure, and the environment was a windowless room with black walls and workstations lined up on a counter. I couldn't find another employer fast enough.
The next job was much better, a stint managing customer acquisition software for a small marketing company. That was my first experience with a virtual company. There were up to 20 of us spread across the US. I only ever met a handful of my colleagues in person  yet we formed some great "virtual" friendships. I learned a lot, got to craft inventive solutions to lots of problems, and loved working from home.
Then I opened my consulting business, where for the last 8 years I've been helping companies configure and maintain their customer acquisition software, and training their people to use it. I've also been doing some technical writing, UAT (User acceptance testing), and employee and customer training for a SASS startup in the customer-acquisition space.
This is by far the best job I've ever had. Every day brings a new challenge and new people. I get to formulate creative solutions. I can work from anywhere (I was beach-side yesterday), and my hours are reasonably flexible. I'm not "always on-call".
I don't think much about retiring. I'm healthy and enjoy my work too much to want to quit completely. But I have been careful to limit my at-work time. Work is fun, but it?s far from the only fun in my life.

Cooperhawk said:
d. A lot of folks have no identity other than their work.  Then when they retire they lose their identity and statistically they die within 2 or 3 years.

In the hobby business I saw a lot of that. A guy would come into the store and wander around with a kind of lost look on his face.
Strike up a conversation and he'd say something like "I just retired and I've never had a hobby before, so now I need one."
"Interested in cars?" No. Trains? No. Sketching or painting? Nope. And so on.
Maybe he'd buy something, maybe he wouldn't, but that would be the last I'd see of him, until his obit a year or two later.
Sad.

Best job as far as "I can't believe they pay me for this" were those I had as a teen. Delivering pizzas for my small town pizza joint was amazing at the time, got to drive my car around and listen to music (my two favorite pastimes) while learning important lessons in business and customer service. This was back when almost all transactions were cash, we had to have customer change pre-counted and ready at the door, shirts tucked in and wearing a hat and belt.

SargeW said:
My best job I ever had was the same as the worst job I ever had. Sometimes on the same day. But I think most LEO's would say the same.

I would overall... enjoyed it but glad to be done. I gained incredible perspective on the world, and substantial task management skills that opened doors to the "still interesting with much lower stress" corporate career I now have.

John Stephens said:
I've done a lot of things in my life that were varied, but I think the best job I ever had was being a musician because I was doing something that I loved to do, didn't look at it as work, and just happened to get paid for it. It was the most satisfying job I have ever had.

This is my dream job, although I have the next best thing in being able to regularly play (in a volunteer capacity with dozens of other extremely talented musicians) at our church with around 6000 weekly congregants. As far as putting time and effort into an activity that really means something and impacts other people, this is by far my favorite.

PopPop51 said:
In the hobby business I saw a lot of that. A guy would come into the store and wander around with a kind of lost look on his face.
Strike up a conversation and he'd say something like "I just retired and I've never had a hobby before, so now I 
I can sure agree with that. When I retired after almost 50 years of working we moved to a southern state to get some warmer weather.  While waiting to close on the home we bought I found motel living to be quite boring and it dawned on me that I had never given any thought as to what I would be doing for a hobby before I retired. I didn't play golf.  So one day we wandered into a Salvation Army Thrift Store just killing time and I came across an old sewing machine that looked a bit worn but fixable. The wife is big on sewing. Turns out that the sewing machine was over 60 years old and worked just fine needing no repairs. That kind of got me started and within a couple of years I was accumulating antique and vintage sewing machines, refurbishing and refinishing those that needed it and, because of the number I had accumulated, I started selling some on eBay.  Before long, the profits from the ebay and local sales were providing funds for even more machines including some that were somewhat rare.  For the next 10 years that was my hobby but I eventually decided to slow down and let the inventory shrink down to just a few that my wife wanted to keep.  I am still called on for advice and keep her machines in good shape but I must say that one does need a hobby when going into retirement - it keeps your sanity.

A summer job I had when I was 16 and 17 probably qualifies as one of the most exciting jobs I've had. I worked for a radio/TV tower maintenance company, and it was my job to change the aircraft warning light bulbs on the towers. This was well before today's stricter child labor laws, and the safety equipment I was given was pretty rudimentary. The safety harness was just the wide leather belt that lineman use when climbing poles, but equipped with two short ropes with open steel hooks to clip on the tower rungs or struts. The pay was excellent, and I really enjoyed the adrenaline rush of the job, especially when the wind was blowing at the top of 350' tower. My mother knew I was working for a maintenance company, but she thought I was cleaning bathrooms or something. It wasn't until I was in Vietnam that my then girlfriend, now wife, let the truth slip. Wow, did I get a scathing letter from mom! ;)

NY_Dutch said:
A summer job I had when I was 16 and 17 probably qualifies as one of the most exciting jobs I've had. I worked for a radio/TV tower maintenance company, and it was my job to change the aircraft warning light bulbs on the towers. This was well before today's stricter child labor laws, and the safety equipment I was given was pretty rudimentary. The safety harness was just the wide leather belt that lineman use when climbing poles, but equipped with two short ropes with open steel hooks to clip on the tower rungs or struts. The pay was excellent, and I really enjoyed the adrenaline rush of the job, especially when the wind was blowing at the top of 350' tower. My mother knew I was working for a maintenance company, but she thought I was cleaning bathrooms or something. It wasn't until I was in Vietnam that my then girlfriend, now wife, let the truth slip. Wow, did I get a scathing letter from mom! ;)
Yikes!
Reminds of when I was 16 I worked for a TV repair shop. We installed TV antennas on roofs. I was on the roof of a 3rd story house in Nahant, MA and fell off the roof landed without a scratch. The homes out there were big and when I fell I hit the second floor roof, then rolled and hit the first floor roof , the rolled and landed on the ground! My coworker thought I was dead. Got lucky that day.

Now the conditions of the job certainly had its negatives, I'll admit, but if I address the subject literally and only consider the actual work involved, my job as an Aviation Fire Control Chief Petty Officer was the best job I ever had. More specifically, as Maintenance Chief for VF-41 (F4B Phantom fighter jets) back in the mid 70's. Keeping a dozen or so old F4B's operationally combat ready and flying safely required a lot of organizational and people skills as well as technical knowledge to get the job done. I learned a lot in a little time. It was a challenging, fast-paced job and certainly not without stress, but I loved it. Now, if you throw in all the other B.S. that went with the service, maybe not so much.

I loved managing small and growing eshop. All my values and sklills and joys were met there in the variety: well balanced manual and mind work, work alone as well as serving customers, working on pc with web and social networks, as well as with discovering and writing about products - herbs mostly, taking care of the physical place etc etc.I felt big meaning and it was also greatly paid.

Im striving to achieve such balance again.

6 months ago I would have said the job I have now...alas, recent management changes have made it less enjoyable. I worked building pole barns for 4 summers during college. We mostly built dairy barns and machinery sheds but worked on small office buildings and did some home remodeling as well. I learned enough about construction that it allows me to tackle almost every home project myself. I'm afraid of heights but I proved myself a good worker so they overlooked this flaw and would give me other work to do if we worked on a large barn (say, over 20' high). They'd rather have me complete another job well, than to take a chance of getting hurt up on a roof. Every once in a while my boss would literally swing from the trusses like a monkey just to bust my chops!

My best job was working in a local pub which was also a disco.  This was when I was 19.  It gave me a lot of social skills and helped me get over my shyness. I would happily work 72 hours a week serving the older generation during the day and the ones my own age at night.  It was great fun.

The job I currently do, Project Management, is also a great job, after all who doesn't like giving out instructions all day.  ;D  Steve says I was made for it!

Father to my two daughters, especially when they were younger. Still a great job

Best job? That?s hard since i?ve had so many.
Hopper on a milk truck when I was 10 or 12. Three mornings a week, $5 each morning plus breakfast at the farm.
Dump truck driver for the county during summers while in HS. Worked with the prisoners on the chain gang. Just like Cool Hand Luke.
Grunt and Class B Operator (truck driver) for IBEW Local 756 Daytona Beach, FL.
Air Force from 1975-1999. Started out in Medical Admin. Retrained to HAVACR and then Electronic Controls. Safety Supervisor for Civil Engineers at Misawa AB Japan. Special Projects for CE Commander at Lackland AFB, TX.
After AF retirement; Worked as Gas Pipeline Inspector.
Finished College at University of Florida
Recreation Manager at an assisted living in Dover, DE
Hired by DoD at Education Office at Dover, AFB GS07
Moved to Whiteman AFB as Supervisory Education Spec GS11
Moved to Scott AFB, MO as Education Counselor GS11
Moved to Lakenheath RAF, UK as Chief, Education & Training GS12
Retired again in 2015

Best job was Chief, Education & Training in the UK. Had the best crew and we had fun everyday at work.

Wife and I have lived in 13 States and two countries. Vacationed in or traveled through all 50 States and countless countries. Still traveling as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom