bought used rv is there hope for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roach34

I just bought a motorhome for $4000. It has a rebuilt salvage title.im wanting to live in it for a. Few months.really affraid i might just been scammed. The thing runs was shaking a tad bit being driven home. Seemed to do find when i got up to 55mph.But think that is because it was sitting for a year. The amp cord is broken or sliced. There is no a prongs or any way to plug it up. Just lose cord .When i went to check on it it was plugged up some how.because he showed everything parking inside the rv.The generator is missing the batteries too. I have 4000 extra to put into working on it. I hope it can be fixed.  Trying to find help im a total newbie i was hoppinh to learn . first stop for me is trying to get power to it cheaply. I have pictures of the rv if that helps. Its a ford 2000 model class c.

HI and welcome Roach

Saying it is a ".... ford 2000 model class c....."  does not give a lot of information.  Gotta NAME ?  Gotta length ???  Lotsa stuff like that.  A Pic. would be great.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

I'm not sure on a 2000, but a lot of class C's start from either the chassis batteries or "house" batteries. Are you saying the house batteries are missing? It sounds like you may just need a new plug on the end of your shore power cord. We can't really tell without a pic or three. Like requested above, make and model will help us help you.

I would hire a mobile mechanic to come and evaluate your condition.  Make a priority list, some he does, some you do.  Being that you are new to this, I would hate to see you throw more money at a RV that might have even bigger issues.  It runs, it drives.  That is a HUGE plus.  :))   

This is one of the reasons we always recommend LOTS of research, LOTS of shopping, LOTS of asking questions (at places like this) and talking to experienced RV owners before buying. These things are complex machines with a lot that can go wrong, or a lot of items that can be neglected when RV's are left to sit unmaintained for long periods of time.

It's a little early to say if you've been "scammed" and we don't really have enough information. Give us as much as you can, and we'll do our best to help!

Welcome to the RV Forum Roach34

I will have to 2nd hiring a mobile mechanic to come and evaluate your condition. The money you spend for the mechanic may save you thousands.

And/ or He/She may be able to give you some guidance on where to start.

Welcome!
I would recommend taking the RV to a dealership that has a shop...
I have one in my area and they can give you the HARD TRUTH....

An inspection can cost $150-$500, but in the end you know if you should scrap it ,part it or repair it....
I'm not terribly hopeful for you if it is already sounds like it has been treated very poorly!

Getting a cost of repair estimate with Need, Should and Could notes will be invaluable.
(I have done this with purchasing used vehicles and a trust worthy mechanic)

Good luck and if things don't work out, consider this a learning experience and start researching for the next RV :) 

As for the power cord, is it 3 wire or 4 wire. That will tell us if it is 30 or 50 amps. PO may have had it direct wired. That would explain the missing cord cap.

FYI. There is no such thing as an AMP cord. It is called a shore power cord or just a power cord. It is capable of carrying 30 amps or 50 amps to your coach depending on it's size. #10 3 wire is 30 amps. #8 4 wire  is 50 amps. Your lighting inside will be 12 volts. Outlets are 120 volts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom