Genturi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cadee2c

I learned something new this last week. Ive never heard of genturis, and noticed several of the motor homes had them. When I asked someone what they were, they explained them to me... basically an exhaust pipe for the generator, and said many big gatherings, such as FMCA rallys, require them.

Since I plan on going to the SKPs Escapade next month, and the Albuquerque balloon festival, among other places, I guess I should get one. Where in Quartzsite would be a good place, now that the big top is gone?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Turi-Generator-Disconnect-44461/dp/B000BUU5XG

How's that for service :)

What Gizmo said.  Quiet Times on East Main St. is a greeting card store and for a buck or two you can have UPS or FedEx packages sent there for you to pick up.  It's on the north side of the street just east of Hwy 95.

Or go to RV Lifestyles, the permanent RV dealer on the frontage road between Love's truckstop and the Super8 Motel, but their price will likely be higher than Amazon.

Say hi if you see me at the Escapade.  I'll be the one of the guys running around making sure the sound systems are working properly.

If you need one in a hurry.. They are a CAMCO product an Camping world carries them. in fact Camping world carries the full CAMCO line.

That's the fastest. If you have the time try Amazon.

And last. If you read up on 'em you will find a bunch of folks touthing "Dangers" They lie. the dangers they tout are impossible.

Quiet Times #90 East Main St., Quartszite, Az..>>>Dan    Just east of the small Mexican restaurant with very small parking.>>>

I have seen Genturis used, and it seems like a good idea in crowded places. However our generator exhaust is a curved tube that points down to the ground, not directly to the side like the ones in the product picture. I am uncomfortable modifying the original exhaust because 99% of the time we are far enough away from people to not hav an issue. Has anyone else used a Genturi with our kind of curved gen exhaust?

I buy the fume diversion, but am skeptical of the noise claims.

The best silencer for generators is solar.  ;)

Heli_av8tor said:
I buy the fume diversion, but am skeptical of the noise claims.

The best silencer for generators is solar.  ;)

On mine anyway, it does sorta tune the sound.  As I recall, I used a soundmeter app on my phone (not lab quality I know).  It showed some little difference but I don't recall how much.  Don't think it was significant at all.  Mostly its a change to the "quality of the sound" to me....takes away a little of the sharpness...when standing some distance away but directly inline with the exhaust anyway. I just haven't used mine all that often.

I find that under hard use,(high RPMs) the actual engine noise is louder than the exhaust,(this being a quiet diesel) when near or at idle it's hard to tell its running.  I think the better use of the device is the disbursement of the fumes above the roofline and not carried into your  or your neighbors open window.>>>D

John From Detroit said:
If you need one in a hurry.. They are a CAMCO product an Camping world carries them. in fact Camping world carries the full CAMCO line.

That's the fastest. If you have the time try Amazon.

And last. If you read up on 'em you will find a bunch of folks touthing "Dangers" They lie. the dangers they tout are impossible.

Not too many Camping World stores in Quartzsite.

:)) :);)

Caryl, if you're going to use A Quiet Place to receive an Amazon purchase, go talk to them first so you have the right address and they know to expect your package.

While the Genturi is primarily an exhaust diversion device, I do notice a significant reduction in the sound level when I use it on our Onan gas generator.

Ok facts and myths (Fiction)
Sound: it changes not so much the volume as the quality (Deeper throater less annoying) it also moves it up more which may appear to lower it (not to me though)

Fumes. It takes exhaust fumes and more importantly Exhaust chemicals.  and sends them up to roof level or above.. As the gas is HOT it continues to rise so it does not enter the RV and never becomes a problem. 

The above are facts

The myth/LIE/Falsehood:  is that the air conditioner will "Suck in" or the vents will "SUCK  IN' the Exhaust gas
The A/C is sealed as far as inside/outside air is concerned. it can not suck in anything as it has no sucker.. And the fans are EXHAUST fans for the most part. Oh yes Fantastic fans makes a model that can go either way.. but if you are worried just set it to blow. not suck.  Even if it is sucking it wont' suck exhaust gas as it's at least 4 feet from the pipe and below it.

So those are the fake warnings I commented on. As I said. Impossible.

The primary reason for a Genturi is to divert noxious fumes upward when in crowded places like some rallies.  Sometimes they park two rows nose-to-nose and most generator exhaust tubes are near the front of the motorhome which makes all the fumes "congregate" in the same area.  The Genturi disperses the fumes upward and allows the breeze to carry them away.  We attended one rally that was particularly bad and a lot of us had headaches and didn't feel well.  We use the Genturi when we're packed in like that.  At places like Quartzsite - where we are able to park farther apart - we usually just use a special heat-resistant rubber tube, the purpose of which is to shift the fumes so they're not directed at our neighbors who may want to sit outside.  In that case, it's more of a courtesy than a necessity because no one wants to sit with fumes blowing their way.

ArdraF

Our generator exhaust is just ahead of the slide out, so fumes tend to get trapped and enter under the slide. Without the Genturi, the CO detector will sound in a matter of minutes.

thanks for the info. I wish Id known about the Quiet Times place before I had my mail and coffee sent to my friend in Palm Springs. lol Oh well, it will be nice to go visit him again.

Im gonna hook up with Dan, hopefully tomorrow cause I missed him today, and talk about what is needed.  I know Id like to have one because often I smell the exhaust when Im sitting outside, and sometimes even inside if the wind is right.

UTTransplant said:
I have seen Genturis used, and it seems like a good idea in crowded places. However our generator exhaust is a curved tube that points down to the ground, not directly to the side like the ones in the product picture. I am uncomfortable modifying the original exhaust because 99% of the time we are far enough away from people to not hav an issue. Has anyone else used a Genturi with our kind of curved gen exhaust?
You are probably going to need to cut off the curved end. There are some adapters that fit over your exhaust that the unit attaches to.
Bill

Curved end.  Usually a clamp on extension.  Simply remove the clamp and tug it.  However, this usually leaves the exhaust pipe a little short, requiring a 6" or so piece.  Get it at an Autozone n the muffler area or just hand the short adapter that comes with the Genturi to a clerk.

I have the curved chrome tip, the curve is too long to make cutting it a possibility.

We went to a balloon festival in CT one time and they pack in the RV's real close to each other. My awning was about 3' away from my neighbors MH. It was real hot that weekend so he was running his gen set for the AC's. We had our awning down to stop the sun from shining in and had our windows and door open. All the fumes was being captured under our awning and going right into my rig. We complained to the people running the festival and they told the guy to either shut off his gen set, move to another area away from any RV's or buy a Genturi. He was pissed but he did go out and buy one. That ended all the problems we had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom