NW Ohio through Mi. UP, Wis., Minn., N. Dakota to Great Fall Montana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wi1dBill

Planning a trip from NW Ohio through Michigan in early May. Stopping at Mackinac Island. Heading west through the UP of Michigan towards Wisconsin. Then through Minnesota, N. Dakota and on into Montana.  Back through S. Dakota, stopping in the Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands) with possibly heading back into Wisconsin to the Dells.
Couples of questions.  For those of you that live in these areas.  What is the average weather like in early May?  Also what some of the "Must See" sites along the way? 
Currently planning on leaving May 1.  Need to be in Montana on the 9th or 10th and 11th.  Back home around the the 19th 20th.  Planning on staying a state campgrounds, but not tied to them if a attraction is close to a  private campgrounds.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice,

Wi1dBi11

In Montana, the weather can be quit variable. I've seen short lived snow storms in May. However, normally I would expect moderate days and cold evenings. Take a warm jacket and fill your propane tanks to power your RV heater. But, traveling at that time of year also means you are much less likely to have miserably hot weather. Sounds like you're planning an enjoyable vacation.

Can we assume no kids with you??

First, average weather in Upper Mich and the UP will be cold, but at least no mosquitoes!  Some suggestions:
  • Harwick Pines State Park near Grayling, MI, has a full-hookup campground.  Virgin white pine and a lumbering museum in the state park.
  • Stop in Mackinaw CIty and shop for fudge to become what is called a "fudgie" or person who visits for the day. Also, good parking for RVs right under the bridge and south of main street in big lot.  Nice park under the Big Mac bridge to picnic and watch the lake, and you can tour the famous ice-breaker Mackinaw that kept the Great Lakes ice-free during the shipping season for 60 years.  Watch out for the one low-clearance road underneath the bridge, however. I had to back up through a four-way stoplight once to avoid getting stuck.
  • I assume you are taking the ferry to Mackinac Island, right?  Take your bikes on the ferry or rent a horse-drawn carriage (you-drive) and circle the island on the only state road in Michigan where no cars are allowed.
  • Aune Osborne city-owned campground in Sault St Marie, Michigan, is a mile east of the Soo Locks and on the St. Marys River.  Basic place with electric, but if you can get a riverside site, you can wave at the guys on the big lake freighters as they go by close to shore.  A visit to the locks is a must.  Also, online sites and a phone line let you know what ships are going through the locks and when.
  • Buy a pasty--yum!  Best place is small restaurant in Mackinaw City, NOT west of the north end of the bridge where they put cooked instead of uncooked meat in them--not the way they are supposed to be made.

The Corps of Engineers campground at Ft. Peck Lake Officially named "Downstream" and the locals call it "Kiwanis" is very nice with electric.  There is also a dump station.

Bill that seems like a lot of miles for less than 3 weeks so I'm not sure hope much sightseeing you'll be able to squeeze.  The weather will probably be brisk. 

We have taken US-2 across from Michigan's UP several times.  A great road but in early May I bet it would be cold and windy.  Just be prepared.  Gas up at half tank level.

Great Minnesota state park in East Grand Forks, Minnesota right on US Highway 2 at the North Dakota border.  Huge sites and most are pull through with full hookups.  After you leave the Black Hills of South Dakota on I-90 you may stop at the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site at Exit 131.  At this same exit you can also go a short distance to South Dakota Badlands.  There is also a campground there.  Just some suggestions.

Bill

There is a very nice state park in upper MI on the right side just after you cross the Mak Bridge. Jay Cooke state park at Duluth  Not a lot to see in Mn taking Hwy 2 across. 

There are a couple good choices in Duluth.  We always have stayed at Indian Point which is right in town, but you'd never  know it.  The Duluth Zoo is right up the street.  Also there is a CG on the east side of the Harbor where you can stay right on the water.  It's all concrete and has services, but the kicker is you can watch the ships come and go through the lift bridge.  Neet.  It's also within walking district of the Harbor area which has restaurants and other amenities.

When you get to the Leech Lake area there are a lot of CGs on the lakes.

http://duluthindianpointcampground.com/activities

http://www.lakeheadboatbasin.com

Back
Top Bottom