rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Negotiating price new rv 20 to 30% msrp?  (Read 381 times)

nakamuru

• ---
Negotiating price new rv 20 to 30% msrp?
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
I read some posts on here people were able to negotiate new rvs down to 20 to 30% off MSRP. Whoa that's a lot! Not sure the comparison to cars as my parents did that for me (11 years ago) . Back then I did my research and saw the prices aiming for and went in with my dad to negotiate but when I started talking the dealer got upset and told us basically to leave lol. I didnt do anything rude but just compare with another dealership. Etc..  Anyways that kind of traumatized me cause a). Not much of a expert in dealing b) I do look really young (still look same I did 11 year ago . I think its parents and asian genes). So they dont take me serious.

Anyways back to the 20 to 35% off new rv. So if questions I have are:

1).  If I see a camp trailer at 20k some people are able to get it too 12k? (Which is 35%). I'm guessing if maybe the rv is new but older?

2). Or in guessing if the camper is higher priced then more percentage can be taken off?

3). Is there way to deal with prices online as I just dont trust dealers after my first encounter. Guy was real asshole. I will look at the rv in person first and make sure it's too my liking.

4). What is usually the average percentage off the MSRP people usually get for 20k camper budget?

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
Re: Negotiating price new rv 20 to 30% msrp?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:46:57 PM »
Do not negotiate and do not worry about % off MSRP
MSRP IN the RV world is pretty much whatever the dealer says he wants it to be. You can find identical units with different MSRP's at different dealers.
The way to do your shopping is shop before you go. KNow what the dealer has in stock and what you are willing to pay for it.
Arrange your own financing if necessary

GO into the dealer with your name, address and phone number on a nice piece of paper.
Introduce yourself by first name and look the unit over.
Be nice but state you are just looking.
If you like the unit tell the salesman the following. I am willing to buy the unit for $------- out the door price. If you say yes I am prepared to close the deal today. If you say no I am leaving. Here is my name etc while you go  and talk to whom ever you need to. If the answer is No then I am leaving.
IF yes when he returns then close deal. But be carefully of sneaky fees remember you said "OUT THE DOOR". If he jerks you around leave.
If he says no then leave. He may try to get  you to negotiate. DO NOT! YOU cannot win the game.
If your price is reasonable he will call you before you get home. IF he does not the in a day or 2 CALL him and ask why your offer was not accepted. You can then raise your offer a bit if you want to BUT you are not under the pressure you were at the dealer.

NOW to the real question Why are you buying new when used  is MUCH better bang for the buck. There are lots of units out there bought new just sitting after the first year of use because the owner has lost interest. divorced, lost job  on and on.
NEW units sometimes have defects in them that are not evident at first purchase and are in the shop for long periods getting fixed. These are usually taken care of the first year under warranty
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
Do not negotiate and do not worry about % off MSRP
MSRP IN the RV world is pretty much whatever the dealer says he wants it to be. You can find identical units with different MSRP's at different dealers.
The way to do your shopping is shop before you go. KNow what the dealer has in stock and what you are willing to pay for it.
Arrange your own financing if necessary

NOW to the real question Why are you buying new when used  is MUCH better bang for the buck.
I think darsben is confusing sticker price with MSRP. MSRP is set by the manufacturer. The “list” price is the MSRP plus whatever adders the dealer thinks they can get away wit - prep, transportation, etc. Ignore those items completely. They have nothing to do with the price. We would investigate to find MSRP (google is your friend), then offer 35% off. If dealer countered at anything less than 30% off, we just walked. BTW, our last travel trailer was bought off a small dealer’s lot, advertised and sold at 33% off. No haggling needed. We were happy with the deal.

As to used vs. new, we have bought both. For an inexperienced RV owner, you can get some real dogs buying used. If you do not feel confident that you know a good unit when you find it, you can many times find a competent RV inspector to give it the once over. Water damage is insidious, not always obvious, and can ruin your unit in less than a year. To find an inspector, ask here for recommendations, giving the unit’s location. Water issues are the primary thing to watch for in used travel trailers.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »

If your 11 years older now,, you should be over being intimidated by anyone.. If not you need the practice to get over it.>>>Dan
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
You will find most negotiate down around that 35% off MSRP. I had 3 dealers with the same unit I was looking to purchase and got 3 different prices. 28% off to 36% off. I went for the 36% and had to travel from SE PA to outside Detroit. It was a nice experience, we were able to make the purchase Friday night, stay in the dealers lot overnight, go over the unit extensively Saturday morning and head back home. Saved roughly 5K.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
I sort of agree with Darsben.  I used the same technique to do a recent car purchase.  We had to have a car and as our old car was totaled in an accident.  We got our desired list down to a 2014 or earlier Honda CRV or a Chevrolet Equinox.  I used the USAA buying service to research cars.  USAA is basically True Car with a minor discount.  One dealer called and talked me into going to see one of his cars.  We had already decided what the most we were willing to pay based on researching car values and since I had never driven an Equinox I wanted to try one.  After the test drive, I made an out the door offer.  Of course, the salesman took it away and came back about $1,500 higher.  I agreed to go up another $500 but dealer would not drop.  The next day I sent e-mails to three dealers on three different cars.  I asked for an out the door price.  The responses were almost equal and were within $300 of each other.  All were below the price I had offered the day before.  We chose one from Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix.  The reason I mention the dealer is the surprises at the end.  After the test drive and completing the paperwork, we were told they miscalculated the sales tax and the price was actually $35.00 less.  We are happy with the car and the price.  I used the same thing when I bought my DP.  I made an out the door offer and would have walked away if it was not accepted.  As far as I am concerned, out the door is the only price to talk about.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2015 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Experience comes from mistakes.  I have a lot of experience

SeanAndKaty

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
Yes, the MSRP and sticker price are two different things and as stated above, the factory sets the former and the dealer sets the latter -- usually, as you cited, something along the lines of 20-30% less than MSRP to show "what a KILLER deal they're giving you!" But in my experience, that discounted sticker price will be pretty consistent from dealer to dealer. I think the best approach you can take is just know what you're willing to spend, TOTAL, and shop and compare and shop and compare and shop and compare. Of course, the internet is your friend in this process. You might find three pretty similar (or maybe even identical) RVs at three different dealers. Tell each one that you're shopping but ready to buy when you find the right deal, and get their "very best price" on the unit(s) they have on site, to compare. Don't get into a discussion with them about what you're looking for -- you already found it by this point and all they are trying to do there is find in-roads to sell you with. So that's the number you go with for your comparison and choice. But yes, be ready to also be sold, or attempted to be sold, lots of other extras -- some of which may seem worthwhile to you and some of which probably won't. Being ready to BUY and ready to WALK AWAY are two very good techniques and "weapons" you have. Dealers of course have to make a profit and I'm guessing that they usually won't turn down an offer that's close to the current street price. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
- Veteran RVers since, well, October 2018.
- 2019 Nexus Phantom 31P  |  Seattle-ish WA  US-of-freakin'-A

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »
The best approach is to ignore new and buy used.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1