Back up camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby Justin

Hello I recently bought a new travel trailer that already has Furrion back up camera prep on it. Does anyone know if I have to use Furrion or will any brand work? Thank you

Hello Bobby. Welcome to the Forum!

I can not answer your question, but others can.  There have been recent threads on this topic.  Try to search  "camera ready" or "camera prep" or "Furrion".  The search tab is near the top of the screen.

Personally, I do not have a camera on the back of my FW and do not plan to add one.  With the GPS and TPMS and two side mirrors, I already have enough distractions.  The camera only shows what is behind me.  I am much more concerned with what is in front of me and beside me if I want to change lanes.

The rear cameras are of value if you are towing something behind your rig which the camera can watch or if you are backing up and do not have a spotter.  They can not watch your blind side when backing or watch for low limbs.

Please ask lots of questions.  You will get lots of opinions.

Our RV came the with the same prep for the Furrion system. It was a simply install ..A couple of screws and plug in the camera.
The down side is they are a little on the high side. but they do worked very well.

You could check your pre wired setup and maybe adapt it work with a different camera.

My 5er came pre-wired for the Furrion as well. I bought it and use it. Works great. However that doesn't answer your question. On my unit the Furrion mounting bracket was installed at the factory and the wiring ran to the camper tail lights. As long as you have power, you can swap out the mounting base for whatever brand you choose. Two things to check. 1) Will the new mount cover the hole for wires in the camper? 2) make sure the tail light circuit has enough power to run your camera, 12v, X amps? If both of those match up, you will need a good sealant to keep water out and should be able to tie into the same wires. I must leave my running lights on for the camera to work. I turn on my headlights when hooked to the camper.

My camera is a wireless model, no hard wire from camera to cab of truck, so there is no wire run inside the camper to pin box. I suspect they are all wireless, but they may not be the case, verify.

I had a Furrion system that was "Pre-wired" from the factory on one of my trailers. They simply mounted the camera bracket/mount to the back of the trailer and wired it from one of the marker lights on the trailer.  All you had to do was install the wireless camera to the mount and you were good to go. It took longer to get out the ladder than it did to install the camera. It's no big deal and you could easily install another brand if you wished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom