Found my first geocache!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I love to hike and it's always nice to have a destination to hike to. I also like doing cross country navigation. So I've been thinking of trying geocaching which would combine those two. I haven't had much interest in the past, but now that I am traveling around a lot I thought it might be an enjoyable activity that I could do.

Yesterday I went on the geocache.com website and found there are a couple caches very near me. One is rated as easy and seemed like a good one to try. This morning I set out to hike to it. I already had MotionGPX app on my phone. So I imported the gpx file to that app. The hike was beautiful and it was fun trying to locate the cache, which I did without much difficulty. It was under a pile of rocks, which as soon as I saw it, I suspected that was the cache. But MotionGPX was showing I still needed to go further up the ridgeline. So I went on a few more paces but then turned back and checked out the rock pile. That was it. I had climbed the ridge and MotionGPX was showing I needed to go down the other side. Then after I went down, it showed I need to to go back up on the ridge! So I don't know what was going on with that. If it is the app or user error :)

There is another cache nearby with higher difficulty that I want to try. I think I will download the geocache app though and try it out. Right now I don't want to pay for a premium service and will stick with a free app.

My first adventure was a success and I will try a few more to see how I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_4521w.jpg
    IMG_4521w.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4523w.jpg
    IMG_4523w.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 28
Congratulations. Im a newbie geocacher too. I did find out that sometimes you can overwalk the gps. Sometimes you have to slow down to let it catch up with you. :D

After you've done a few, you get a feel for where people hide them and can spot them more easily.  There's so many in the desert around Quartzsite that you almost can't walk without tripping over one.
We were out caching in the Jeep the other day and met a couple on a 4 wheeler who were also caching.  They were telling us about a series of caches over in California that has over 3k caches in the series.  We were sort of overwhelmed because we were doing a series that has 57 caches in it.

RV and geocashing definitely go together! The thrill of adventure and curiosity (and impatience :) ). Great when travelling with kids also.

cadee2c - that might be what was going on with the gps. I?ve never used it to find a place down to that detail. I downloaded the geocache app this morning. It only shows caches rated 1 unless you pay for premium membership. I can see them on website though so will continue to use MotionGPX for now. It?s annoying when developers have free apps but you can?t really use them unless you upgrade.

I?m somewhat goal oriented so unless there is a hike that goes to a lake or some other destination I can?t always get motivated to go out and just wander around. I like the geocaching because it gives one a goal to achieve. And you are still out hiking and enjoying nature.

Glad to know there are some others on here. It definitely goes well with RVing. Thanks for the encouragement.

flexitdriver - your card is too funny ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom