Our first real trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo100

Well the little lady and I are on the road. So far everything has worked as expected and we are running about 400 miles a day. We made it to Van Horn TX.

Something to note,

We bought a Literider Bed cove for the truck in order to keep things dry as we travel. A big bonus was instead of 8 MPG we jump to 10 MPG. I was expecting a slight increase based on improvements without the trailer. But I was very happy with the first 2 days numbers.
Now day 3 was not as enjoyable. We started out with misty rain. But that didn't last all day...The wind blew the rain out and we got to deal with wind (30-50 MPG) the rest of the day. It dropped the MPG's down to 7. Until I could find a safe spot to park for the night.

Well after we get some sleep we will hit the road yet again

Blessings Gizmo100. Hope You had amazing travel. Tell us about Your most rewarding experience please ?

Gizmo100 said:
The wind blew the rain out and we got to deal with wind (30-50 MPG) the rest of the day.

I'm very surprised that the wind gets so much better MPG than your truck.  ;D ;D ;D

Well We made it to our home for the next week or so..
Horse Trails Boondock, Apache Junction, Arizona.

That wind was no joke. But I followed the guidance that I learned right here on the forum, We park with the nose facing the wind, dropped the stabilizers and the tongue jack. And went inside and ate dinner. You could hear the wind but the trailer did just fine. After a good nights sleep we hit the road finished the trip.

IBTripping said:
I'm very surprised that the wind gets so much better MPG than your truck.  ;D ;D ;D

LOL ...Missed that But you know if you set your sail just right it will increase your MPG as well as your MPH ;)

Bobtop46 said:
Next time in the Van Horn area, look at Balmorhea State park.  Good for over nights.

I looked it up this is what I found...."Campground closed for renovations through March 2019"...Sometimes my timing is off just a little.

SpencerPJ said:
Glad to hear  :))  Gotta love the wind... NOT
Be safe, post a picture or 10  :)

Here's a couple to hold you over...Use my phone as a hot spot...But the cell signal is not so hot

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 66
  • veiw.jpg
    veiw.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 56
Great pictures  :))  Now I'm jealous, as I look at snow and 21 deg.  Nice looking TV and TT as well  :)

larit said:
Blessings Gizmo100. Hope You had amazing travel. Tell us about Your most rewarding experience please ?
I noted to myself that I would have to keep this in mind as we get out and do things....Well the most rewarding thing was pretty easy. I spent the day with My Mom. She is 82 years old and still gets around pretty well. Although she doesn't drive anymore she still does volunteer work twice a week. She also always seems to have some small little project she working on. We will most likely spend sometime with her everyday while we are here.

Alpena Jeff said:
Stay safe Gizmo!
Poor timing on our part. We'll be passing through Van Horn in a week or so. Bummer!

We will be passing back though Van Horn on our way home. I just don't know when we are going home...LOL

SpencerPJ said:
Great pictures  :))  Now I'm jealous, as I look at snow and 21 deg.  Nice looking TV and TT as well  :)

It's amazing how nice that truck and trailer look considering how dirty both of them were. I did get the truck washed. The trailer will have to wait until we get back home...But Thanks.

Gizmo said:
Enjoy your travels brother Gizmo.

FYI....I won't be at the next couple of meetings of the Gizmos....So your in charge..

Thank you all for the well wishes...We are enjoying the peace and quiet...With the exception of a few people that run their generators all night long...LOL

FYI....I won't be at the next couple of meetings of the Gizmos....So your in charge..
[/quote]

That is dangerous.

Just a little update..

We made it 6 days with the water before I had to find a dump station and Potable water. So far everything has work as planned.

We are having a bit of the cold weather and rain at our campsite. But that beats what happening at the higher elevations..See the picture.

It does make a nice view out the kitchen window

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom