Our first real trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jackiemac said:
Just being away from "normal" is worth it!  Hope Danna is enjoying it as much as you!

I think she's enjoying herself...I asked her if she had any thoughts about heading back east and her reply was...NO!!...LOL

Gizmo100 said:
I think she's enjoying herself...I asked her if she had any thoughts about heading back east and her reply was...NO!!...LOL
Oh that's fantastic, that makes me happy!

Well we made it back home in one piece..

And I want to thank everyone for their good wishes for a good trip.

But I also want to thank every person that has ever posted a question or a answer on this forum. I spend endless hours reading as much of the forum as I could to be better prepared for our trip. Everything went almost perfect.
The only casualty of our trip was my glasses. My Loving wife was trying to clean them for me using her shirt. She didn't realize that the dust on the glasses and on her shirt was likely the same as sandpaper. So as I type this it's like looking though a fog.

Somethings I've got to share....
While staying in the Tonto Forest I got to experience something I never thought I would see in the desert ...SNOW
The weather was cold and wet most of the time we were there. We stilled enjoyed ourselves, But the snow was a bit much...LOL

We also met a lot of nice people. Including a homeless man named Robert. He was living out of a tent and his car. But he took the time to share with us information about the area. He also would bring us firewood. I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted that he didn't mind and it gave him something to do.

We found out that with the colder nights we were putting a lot strain on the batteries. The heat was running quite a bit plus the wife's TV. So the need for the generator to run most of the day and evening was using  lot of fuel. With plans to move on to Quartzsite I decided to add some solar to our setup (100 Watts). The goal was to run the generator for 3 hours in the morning then let the solar maintain and top off the batteries. It appeared to be working although I may need add another 100 watts. My goal would be to maintain the batteries when we're not using the RV.

I also want to sing praises for our Ford truck. The 3.5 Eco Boost and the 10 speed performed like a charm. For most of the trip I set the cruise at 60 and it handled and shifted without a problem. Our mileage for the entire trip averaged out to 10.5 MPG. I was only expecting 8 MPG.

On the note of gas...We found two gas stations that were grossly overcharging for fuel. Both of them were 40 cents higher per gallon than the next station down the road...Well today with so many ways to find gas prices on our cell phones...We just went on down the road. I don't mind paying a few cents more but with a 35 gallon tank I'm not paying 40 cents more.

l'd also like to encourage anyone pulling a trailer to invest in a WD/Anti sway system. We hit some pretty tough winds heading out to AZ. But the trailer never gave us a problem. The truck and the trailer handled as one unit the entire trip. Also make sure you know how it works and that it's setup correctly. I saw quite a few trucks that were pulling trailers that were grossly overloading the TV. I even spoke to one person that was so proud of his new trailer. But he was at least 3000 pounds over weight, No WD and No brakes on the trailer.

Although we had to head home earlier than planned we had a great time. Besides getting to spend time with my Mom nothing beats sitting outside after dark and just starring at the stars.

Yeah, I guess you don't want to hear that since you left Quartzsite I've been sitting under those star in shorts and a t-shirt instead of hoodies and gloves.  Hit 80 here yesterday.  8)

Yeah, I guess you don't want to hear that since you left Quartzsite I've been sitting under those star in shorts and a t-shirt instead of hoodies and gloves.  Hit 80 here yesterday. 

Ohh, dont tell him that. It might make him cry.

cadee2c said:

Then I probably don't want to mention that we left most of the windows in the coach open all night, either.  Currently 64* at 0645.

Then I probably don't want to mention that we left most of the windows in the coach open all night, either.  Currently 64* at 0645.

Good, and I wont mention I did the same and its 71 right now in Brownsville. :D

Glad your trip went good Gizmo100.  I agree about the forum, I'm trying to edjumakate myself for possible long seasonal trips in a few years.  I like hearing your Ford worked well, I'm considering an upgrade to my 05 YukonXL, just not sure I want a pick-up, yet the SUVs just don't have the same payloads any more.  Time to clean up your TT and start planning your next adventure.  I have several 4 day weekends planned in state parks this summer, and one to Land between the Lakes for a week, but nothing west this summer.

Old_Crow said:
Yeah, I guess you don't want to hear that since you left Quartzsite I've been sitting under those star in shorts and a t-shirt instead of hoodies and gloves.  Hit 80 here yesterday.  8)

Yeah...I don't really want to know that :mad: :mad:...I knew it was going to warm up over the next couple of days. But the wife said "We need to head home" ...So I put my foot down....And started packing up the TT ;D

Old_Crow said:

That's abut the same temperatures we're having at home except for the noise of cars thumping the bass at all hours of the night and the view of the stars are washed out by all the lights of living in town.

cadee2c said:

It almost did make me cry...That was the most relaxing place I've been in a long time

cadee2c said:

I see you have a little bit of a mean streak as well ;D ;D

SpencerPJ said:
Glad your trip went good Gizmo100.  I agree about the forum, I'm trying to edjumakate myself for possible long seasonal trips in a few years.  I like hearing your Ford worked well, I'm considering an upgrade to my 05 YukonXL, just not sure I want a pick-up, yet the SUVs just don't have the same payloads any more.  Time to clean up your TT and start planning your next adventure.  I have several 4 day weekends planned in state parks this summer, and one to Land between the Lakes for a week, but nothing west this summer.

If you do a pickup make sure you get a cover for the bed. It really makes a difference on the MPG's. Plus the dry storage. We are slowly working on getting the TT cleaned out and ready for our next adventure. I also have a ton of yard work to get done. And both the TV and the TT need a bath. It makes me wonder why I'm sitting on butt playing on this computer.

jackiemac said:
Good to hear you both enjoyed it, there is nothing like it.  ;D

Thanks Jackie..I'll have some more information for you as I soon as I get the new glasses. This typing thing can be a bit of a challenge right now. Hopefully sometime next week.

That was the most relaxing place I've been in a long time

I know right? I love it for that. Nothing like sitting out under the bright stars and hearing nothing. I get tired of so much everyday noise of being among too many people.

I see you have a little bit of a mean streak as well

Its not my fault. Its hereditary.

cadee2c said:

We went to Dorothy and Toto's yesterday for an ice cream.  They mentioned that they will be closing shop for the year on either the 17th or the 24th of this month.  They say once the temp gets over 90 their freezers can't keep the ice cream hard enough to sell. 
My updated departure date of the Quartzsite area is now Mar. 25th...or earlier.  Unfortunately, the road to our campground for the summer is still under a couple of feet of snow and they got more yesterday.

While staying in the Tonto Forest I got to experience something I never thought I would see in the desert ...SNOW
I have been snowed on in the desert several times. And even in May and June!!!
It's amazing how nice that truck and trailer look considering how dirty both of them were. I did get the truck washed. The trailer will have to wait until we get back home...But Thanks.
Anytime you photograph dirty vehicles or ugly women it is best to do it at night. 8)

SeilerBird said:
I have been snowed on in the desert several times. And even in May and June!!! Anytime you photograph dirty vehicles or ugly women it is best to do it at night. 8)

I think I'll just stick with not taking pictures of ugly women............But I'll remember the tip for my Truck ;D

Back
Top Bottom