I have a 2019 bmw x1 seems towing is not great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakamuru

I have 2019 bmw x1 and didn't know it can only tow around 2k  :-X  I'm gearing to get the Rockwood Geo Pro 14FK which gross weight is around 2971 which I obviously can't tow. So thinking of trading this in for a grand cherokee which can haul 3500lbs.  Seems the x1 is kind of useless for any rv's and wondering if anyone uses it and what trailor do you guys have?

I saw a falcon travelite 14 2019 made of aluminum and was like 1650lbs.

Still, seems like common sense that you want lot of margin between the weight capicity a automobile can handle as I really don't want to be swerving (saw horrific youtube videos).

So questions are

1). Any x1 owners that are hauling any 14ft trailers (that has bed, bath, kitchen etc.)
2). What is specific model that that hauls 14ft trailers with ease and safety (I'm not looking for any trucks, minivans, or cars. Mainly suvs or subcompact suvs. But subcompact suvs usually tow around same weight as cars almost).  Is grand cherokee laredo the bare model ok? it says 3500lb towing capacity.
3). I did read that weight on end of a rv is bad so obviously, I'll not put too much weight on the trailer etc but what is a good margin of weight to go by? Like if  a suv can haul 3500 what should be the maximum weight of the trailer?
4). Are there any way to have some sort of scale to check your car and suv to purchase lol so you can double check before driving off etc..

So i kind of regret I should have gotten the grand cherokee or perhaps kia sorento.

A Grand Cherokee with a 3200 lb towing capacity is very close to the almost 3,000 lb gross weight of the Rockwood Geo Pro 14FK. It won't be fun towing. Instead, why not get a Grand Cherokee "Laredo E" or other model which has a 6,200 lb towing capacity with the same engine and hp. Just be sure to get a jeep with the factory installed towing package. It will be a much better towing experience by not being so close to the tow vehicle's maximum limit. And the extra cargo capacity of the Rockwood over the falcon travelite is nice to have. 

By the way, just my personal opinion, but the Rockwood looks to me like it has a more functional interior than the Travelite.

Please update us when you decide the direction that works best for you.

Thanks for asking!

That towing capacity assumes no options other than a max tow package if available, full fuel tank and two 150 lb passengers.  Nothing more!  The weight of all other options, additional passenger wt and cargo wt in the car must be subtracted from this weight.  It also assumes 10% hitch weight, which is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for safe towing. 

This number is for bragging rights, NOT consumer guidance!

Use the TT GVWR as the expected TT weight, NOT dry wt, which the salesmen push.  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper.  Using GVWR is closer to reality, especially on small campers with low cargo capacity.  Any number below the GVWR allows a bit more hitch wt and safety factor.

I suggest reducing any published tow capacity by 20%, and keep the camper GVWR below that number.

I have a Miata, which I dearly love.  It has a max tow capacity of 1,000#.  I never plan to tow, but that is enough for a SMALL utility trailer and a few sheets of plywood or a lawn mower.  I have thoughts of getting a picture of it in front of a small teardrop camper with a caption, "Want to camp?  No money?  Here is the answer!"

Back
Top Bottom