Game Warden Authority

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom and Margi said:
There are 18 books in the Pickett series and I've read them all.  Wolf Pack will be the 19th.  When it comes to books, to each his own.

Same here, read them all and liked them. Also, enjoyed his ?stand alone books?! I have all of those as well. Whenever one of his new books come out....I take a few days off, to get the book read!

We liked it so much we visited Saddlestring and even got into the barn where Nate was shot! It's on a dude ranch and the lady owner was just so friendly and told us CJ Box had visited and then put the barn in the book!

I'm always amazed at how honest hunters seem to fear F&G, but poachers do not.

To me, that seems to indicate something isn't right.

Tom and Margi said:
If you like mysteries, try reading C. J. Box's Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game Warden.  George Akers always called them "Fish Cops".  Pickett gets himself involved in all kinds off illegal pursuits.

I love this book series.  I'm waiting for the next one.

bigfatguy said:
I'm always amazed at how honest hunters seem to fear F&G, but poachers do not.

To me, that seems to indicate something isn't right.

This has alot to do with our upbringing, we are taught that arrest is equivalent to the end of your life or at a minimum it is a huge NO NO and something that could cause a huge rift in how family and friends view you.  Poachers and criminals just dont have that fear because they have already crossed the line and are now labled.  Once labeled then many of them feel why not i been through it before and it was not that bad.  Which brings me to the second and sadest reason, we as a society keep making excuses for bad behavior more and more and more.  And with that comes crime categories which limit punishment and the snowball keeps getting bigger and bigger. 

Remember the days when stealing anything meant very harsh punishment, now days our society treats it as a casual "part of being human or growing up" thing and we send a message that we dont want people to steal but if they do, its ok we will slap your hand and send you on your way.  In jail today, back on the street tomorrow to steal something else. 

This is why good people fear trouble and bad people relish in it.  Good people dont want to break that bubble or cross that line, and bad people dance all over the line and laugh all the way. 

I have never been arrested and have had no ill dealings with law enforcement (even regarding tickets) in over 25 years and i am proud of that, it means something to me. But sadly it does not mean enough to many in this world anymore.  At one time i even drove for 4 months all across the USA on pleasure trip and never once got stopped. When i got back i had realized that my license had expired.  Some people cant go 4 hours without getting stopped or getting arrested.

When I was ten, my older brother brought his girlfriend from college to our grandmother's place for a weekend. She owned a huge spread which included a section of the Little Buffalo River, where she and I fished regularly when I spent summers with her. But this time, as we sat with our lines in the water, a game warden came by and arrested my brother and his girlfriend for not having fishing licenses. I was too young to need one.

While I'm sure she was completely in the wrong, my grandmother exploded and drove into town to drag a very unhappy local judge out of a cattle auction and have him tell the warden to let us go. He did.

The family story grew mythically until eventually it had Mammaw slugging the warden and screaming at the judge. It actually was fairly civilized. That was Tennessee, by the way.

In discussing prisoners that are 100% guilty of violent crimes, meaning video, witnesses, dna, other evidence to be 100% sure of proper conviction.  I believe that one day there will be an island or some kind of  segregated land mass that we will send those people to survive on their own.  It may not happen for many years but i believe that someday society will have had enough of the intentional violent actions and solve it with extreme measures. 

They cant claim cruel and unusual punishment because the prisoner themselves made a choice to act in and be in a violent environment when they commited their crime, so we would just be giving them what they wanted to begin with. 

We would send them there and they can learn to survive on their own with others like them.  There would be no laws unless they make them as a group. If they want someone in charge and others to secure their safety then they create that atmosphere as a group.  It would either be that or they can jump off a cliff before hand, up to them.  But sustaining violent prisioners at the cost to tax payers i believe one day will end. 

Isn't that what Britan did with Australia? Used it as one big penal colony?

djw2112 said:
In discussing prisoners that are 100% guilty of violent crimes, meaning video, witnesses, dna, other evidence to be 100% sure of proper conviction.  I believe that one day there will be an island or some kind of  segregated land mass that we will send those people to survive on their own.  It may not happen for many years but i believe that someday society will have had enough of the intentional violent actions and solve it with extreme measures. 

They cant claim cruel and unusual punishment because the prisoner themselves made a choice to act in and be in a violent environment when they commited their crime, so we would just be giving them what they wanted to begin with. 

We would send them there and they can learn to survive on their own with others like them.  There would be no laws unless they make them as a group. If they want someone in charge and others to secure their safety then they create that atmosphere as a group.  It would either be that or they can jump off a cliff before hand, up to them.  But sustaining violent prisioners at the cost to tax payers i believe one day will end.
That will never happen. It is defeated too easily. Some one with money can arrange to have a SWAT team style group remove them from the island by boat or helicopter.

SeilerBird said:
That will never happen. It is defeated too easily. Some one with money can arrange to have a SWAT team style group remove them from the island by boat or helicopter.
And then the kidnap the President and we have to send Snake Pliskin in to rescue him.....?

That is funny, sounds like a script from The Dukes of Hazzard
[/quote]

As the family story grew Dan de la Mesa slid across the hood of the family station wagon, spun around the front of the house, grandma dove in the window and they jumped the river on the way to the court house.

I was speaking to someone at the local lumberyard today about this and they told me that they thought that Game Wardens are the only LE that can search your home without a warrant.  If true how is that possible, isn't this protected under the 4th amendment?

I found a few things online

Currently, under a legal precedent known as the "open fields doctrine," law enforcement may generally enter private land adjacent to public land without a warrant in their investigations.

Ability to Search without a Warrant ? In many states, such as Louisiana, game wardens are allowed to inspect locations and vehicles suspected of wildlife violations ? with or without search warrants.

and this

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-game-wardens-need-warrants-Isnt-that-unconstitutional

I suspect that there are plenty of times that one type of investigation turns into another type of investigation.  Seems to me that this grey area could surve to get around the need for a warrant and could be abused and exploited.  It also may be the reasoning behind the increase in Game Warden numbers over the years. 

I am not against catching criminals, but we are a country built on shared powers, and no one entity should ever have absolute power.

Back
Top Bottom