rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Game Warden Authority  (Read 1307 times)

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
Game Warden Authority
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
Just FYI if you are in California or Texas, Game Wardens have same authority as Police and can write you a ticket or arrest you the same as a Police Officer can if if it has nothing to do with wildlife.  As far as i know these are the only two states that do this,  maybe Alaska but not sure.
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: Game Warden Authority
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
I would guess that it's the same in every state. After all, they're sworn officers.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »
I used to do a lot of scuba diving in southern California and there was a saying that if local police had the same powers as Fish and Game then crime would cease to exist.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
NY state game wardens are called Environmental Conservation Police Officers. They are armed and have the authority to enforce all NY state laws.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
    Florida is that way also, we were surprised to find them coming on construction sites and writing citations for vehicle lettering, weight and registration. At one time they were even checking occupational licenses...
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
In Louisiana game wardens can search anywhere they want to without a warrant if they suspect their may be illegal game meat on the premises.  My family owned a wholesale food business in Louisiana for many years and every few years the game wardens would show up for a random inspection to make sure we were not storing or processing game meat.  It would be like a police raid they would come in the door demand access to the freezers and coolers, spend half an hour or so looking around, then leave when they did not find anything.  Out of all the inspectors we dealt with, USDA, state department of agriculture, health and hospitals, DOT, etc. the game wardens were the only ones that would show up unannounced and demand immediate access.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »
In Delaware, they have the same authority as the State Police. I believe it's the same in Maryland also.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
So i guess that it is that way in most states then.  Interesting!   I have seen game wardens that have state police on the back of their vests and wondered why, i guess one cop shopping lol
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
I think game wardens have the authority of State Police in most states.  I am an avid viewer of all the game warden shows on TV and I have not seen one where that was not true.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981, All SAC)
306BW, 44SMW, 321SMW
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-12 & Squeak-7, Winnie the ShihTzu - 2

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
I think game wardens have the authority of State Police in most states.  I am an avid viewer of all the game warden shows on TV and I have not seen one where that was not true.

I just started watching lone star law, nothing in my area yet, but i guess they move around. 
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 08:30:21 PM »
Game wardens do not mess around. When I was in college I spent a summer as a COE summer ranger. I worked with the local police and highway patrol on a regular basis. However I didn’t work with the Fish and Game folks because it was considered too dangerous. I was told their death rate was higher than other LEOs, and if I ever saw anything I thought was a Wildlife-related violation get the hell out of there and call them. Whenever I have been around them, they have universally been pleasant, but I still get the “we do not fool around” vibe.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
If you like mysteries, try reading C. J. Box's Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game Warden.  George Akers always called them "Fish Cops".   Pickett gets himself involved in all kinds off illegal pursuits.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09:48 PM »
If you like mysteries, try reading C. J. Box's Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game Warden.  George Akers always called them "Fish Cops".   Pickett gets himself involved in all kinds off illegal pursuits.
His first books were really good. The last one I read in the series showed cartoonish villains (all US Government folks) and cartoonish “good guys” who murdered the “villains” with impunity. It was dreadful. The one with the main character of his Native friend who raised raptors was also dreadful - just a never ending series of sadistic murders. In other words, read the first 7 or 8 with pleasure then stop!
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 11:14:03 PM »
In MD we call them Natural Resources Police. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:31 PM »
Interesting. In MN it is extremely difficult to become a Conservation officer. They have way more authority than state police regarding probable cause, search and seizure, and confiscation of property. I would not want to mess with them.
Incidentally... I'm a big fan of CJ Box.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:55 AM »
As a wildlife photographer I applaud all the fish cops. Keep up the good work. In California lobster season begins the first Wednesday in October. Because they are just done spawning and molting at that time. One August I was out on a day dive and ran into a perfect lobster molt so I carefully put it into my goodie bag and brought it back to the boat. We kept all the game we caught in a five gallon plastic bucket right by out dive gear. So I get on the boat and very gingerly put the molt into my bucket. We get back to the dock and get boarded by a fish cop. He looks in my bucket and the look on his face was priceless. He grabs the molt and pulls it out of the bucket and it disintegrates in his hand. He was all embarrassed. I had taken a taxidermy class and was going to preserve it but it was now useless. Lobsters molt once a year. They step out of their shell and a new one forms on their body about a 1/4 inch larger than the one they just stepped out of. It is rare to see a complete molt since they are so fragile.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:40 AM »
His first books were really good. The last one I read in the series showed cartoonish villains (all US Government folks) and cartoonish “good guys” who murdered the “villains” with impunity. It was dreadful. The one with the main character of his Native friend who raised raptors was also dreadful - just a never ending series of sadistic murders. In other words, read the first 7 or 8 with pleasure then stop!
Last one felt like an amalgamation of lost ideas. There is another on the horizon, Lone Wolf. I will get it but if it is also bad then I wont buy any others....
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 07:06:55 AM »
NY state game wardens are called Environmental Conservation Police Officers. They are armed and have the authority to enforce all NY state laws.
Our neighbor is a retired EnCon officer. Oh, he has some stories!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 07:26:49 AM »
Our neighbor is a retired EnCon officer. Oh, he has some stories!

I'm sure he does, Joe! I've known several NY EnCon LEO's over the years, and they're a dedicated group of people...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
In other words, read the first 7 or 8 with pleasure then stop!
There are 18 books in the Pickett series and I've read them all.  Wolf Pack will be the 19th.  When it comes to books, to each his own.

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
There are 18 books in the Pickett series and I've read them all.  Wolf Pack will be the 19th.  When it comes to books, to each his own.

Same here, read them all and liked them. Also, enjoyed his “stand alone books”! I have all of those as well. Whenever one of his new books come out....I take a few days off, to get the book read!
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
We liked it so much we visited Saddlestring and even got into the barn where Nate was shot! It's on a dude ranch and the lady owner was just so friendly and told us CJ Box had visited and then put the barn in the book!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

bigfatguy

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 12:00:49 PM »
I'm always amazed at how honest hunters seem to fear F&G, but poachers do not.

To me, that seems to indicate something isn't right.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 12:20:44 PM »

I love this book series.  I'm waiting for the next one.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
I'm always amazed at how honest hunters seem to fear F&G, but poachers do not.

To me, that seems to indicate something isn't right.

This has alot to do with our upbringing, we are taught that arrest is equivalent to the end of your life or at a minimum it is a huge NO NO and something that could cause a huge rift in how family and friends view you.   Poachers and criminals just dont have that fear because they have already crossed the line and are now labled.  Once labeled then many of them feel why not i been through it before and it was not that bad.  Which brings me to the second and sadest reason, we as a society keep making excuses for bad behavior more and more and more.  And with that comes crime categories which limit punishment and the snowball keeps getting bigger and bigger. 

Remember the days when stealing anything meant very harsh punishment, now days our society treats it as a casual "part of being human or growing up" thing and we send a message that we dont want people to steal but if they do, its ok we will slap your hand and send you on your way.   In jail today, back on the street tomorrow to steal something else.   

This is why good people fear trouble and bad people relish in it.  Good people dont want to break that bubble or cross that line, and bad people dance all over the line and laugh all the way. 

I have never been arrested and have had no ill dealings with law enforcement (even regarding tickets) in over 25 years and i am proud of that, it means something to me. But sadly it does not mean enough to many in this world anymore.   At one time i even drove for 4 months all across the USA on pleasure trip and never once got stopped. When i got back i had realized that my license had expired.  Some people cant go 4 hours without getting stopped or getting arrested.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:44:38 PM by djw2112 »
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

markandkim

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
They are state troopers with biology degrees.
Mark and Kim
Swansea, MA.
2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn crew 5.7
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL

USN Retired

Dan de La Mesa

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
When I was ten, my older brother brought his girlfriend from college to our grandmother's place for a weekend. She owned a huge spread which included a section of the Little Buffalo River, where she and I fished regularly when I spent summers with her. But this time, as we sat with our lines in the water, a game warden came by and arrested my brother and his girlfriend for not having fishing licenses. I was too young to need one.

While I'm sure she was completely in the wrong, my grandmother exploded and drove into town to drag a very unhappy local judge out of a cattle auction and have him tell the warden to let us go. He did.

The family story grew mythically until eventually it had Mammaw slugging the warden and screaming at the judge. It actually was fairly civilized. That was Tennessee, by the way.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
 ;D That is funny, sounds like a script from The Dukes of Hazzard

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 12:28:31 AM »
In discussing prisoners that are 100% guilty of violent crimes, meaning video, witnesses, dna, other evidence to be 100% sure of proper conviction.   I believe that one day there will be an island or some kind of  segregated land mass that we will send those people to survive on their own.   It may not happen for many years but i believe that someday society will have had enough of the intentional violent actions and solve it with extreme measures.   

They cant claim cruel and unusual punishment because the prisoner themselves made a choice to act in and be in a violent environment when they commited their crime, so we would just be giving them what they wanted to begin with.   

We would send them there and they can learn to survive on their own with others like them.  There would be no laws unless they make them as a group. If they want someone in charge and others to secure their safety then they create that atmosphere as a group.   It would either be that or they can jump off a cliff before hand, up to them.   But sustaining violent prisioners at the cost to tax payers i believe one day will end.   
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 04:19:23 AM »
Isn't that what Britan did with Australia? Used it as one big penal colony?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS