Houston, TX --> New Orleans, LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We'll be leaving the Houston, TX area (Brazos Bend State Park) around the first of March 2019 and working our way to New Orleans, LA to arrive around the middle of March. We generally prefer State Parks and would welcome some suggestions as to one or two places to stay along that route. Reservations at the State Parks around New Orleans seem to be filling up fast so it looks like we need to make some commitments ASAP.

Also, I've heard some real horror stories about some of the roads between Houston & New Orleans. Any advice for a good route along the stretch would also be most appreciated!

Your problem will be Mardi Gras which falls on Tues March 5th this year.  One Louisiana state park that we like is Palmetto Island State park south of Abbeville in cajun country, we were there in our coach last weekend, but  unless you luck into a last minute cancellation you can forget getting in there the weekend before Mardi Gras.  I checked their reservation site back at Thanksgiving and they were already booked for Mardi Gras weekend at that time.  Surprisingly though when I checked at Thanksgiving they had vacancies every day until the weekend before Mardi Gras.

As to the question of good routes, there are none, I-10 is probably the best, the other east-west highways all have issues, TX105 is not too bad until you get within 10-15 miles of Beaumont, then the pavement gets rough.  All the Louisiana highways south of I-10 have issues, you just get to pick if you want all your awful teeth jarring pavement in one stretch or broken up over multiple shorter stretches.  It is possible there is some zig-zag route of smooth or at least not bone jarring pavement across south Louisiana, but if there is I have not found it yet.

If you want the scenic route, I would take the coastal route option, I-45 down to Galveston, cross the ferry to the Bolivar peninsula, hwy 87, to hwy 124, up to Winnie and then hwy 73 to hwy 82 in Port Arthur, then  across into Louisiana, cross the Calcasieu river on the much smaller ferry at Cameron, and follow hwy 82 to Abbeville, (stopping off at Palmetto island state park if you can get in), spend some time in the Abbeville area, see real cajun country, tour Avery Island, the Tabasco factory, visit Jungle Gardens, go over to Jefferson island, tour Rip Van Winkle gardens, eat some cajun food at any number of authentic mom and pop restaurants (the cafe at Rip Van Winkle gardens has some great slightly more upscale cajun food as well), then continue your route to New Orleans on Hwy 14 then down Hwy 90.  Just be aware parts of Hwy 82 in Louisiana are going to be rough. 

Thanks much for the detailed information Isaac!

I was aware of the Mardi Gras and it's impact on availability and as I looked more into it we ended up making reservations at Bayou Segnette starting on the 7th-- after the festivities.

Your scenic route suggestion looks very interesting and as we're pretty flexible at this point I'll map it out as a possibility. One question re. the ferry crossings: any problem there with them accommodating our Class A? We do have a TOAD so wondering if that complicates anything?

Since we delayed our arrival to New Orleans we now just need to find a good stop along the way from Houston. Back to the maps!

Isaac-1 said:
Your problem will be Mardi Gras which falls on Tues March 5th this year.  One Louisiana state park that we like is Palmetto Island State park south of Abbeville in cajun country, we were there in our coach last weekend, but  unless you luck into a last minute cancellation you can forget getting in there the weekend before Mardi Gras.  I checked their reservation site back at Thanksgiving and they were already booked for Mardi Gras weekend at that time.  Surprisingly though when I checked at Thanksgiving they had vacancies every day until the weekend before Mardi Gras.

As to the question of good routes, there are none, I-10 is probably the best, the other east-west highways all have issues, TX105 is not too bad until you get within 10-15 miles of Beaumont, then the pavement gets rough.  All the Louisiana highways south of I-10 have issues, you just get to pick if you want all your awful teeth jarring pavement in one stretch or broken up over multiple shorter stretches.  It is possible there is some zig-zag route of smooth or at least not bone jarring pavement across south Louisiana, but if there is I have not found it yet.

If you want the scenic route, I would take the coastal route option, I-45 down to Galveston, cross the ferry to the Bolivar peninsula, hwy 87, to hwy 124, up to Winnie and then hwy 73 to hwy 82 in Port Arthur, then  across into Louisiana, cross the Calcasieu river on the much smaller ferry at Cameron, and follow hwy 82 to Abbeville, (stopping off at Palmetto island state park if you can get in), spend some time in the Abbeville area, see real cajun country, tour Avery Island, the Tabasco factory, visit Jungle Gardens, go over to Jefferson island, tour Rip Van Winkle gardens, eat some cajun food at any number of authentic mom and pop restaurants (the cafe at Rip Van Winkle gardens has some great slightly more upscale cajun food as well), then continue your route to New Orleans on Hwy 14 then down Hwy 90.  Just be aware parts of Hwy 82 in Louisiana are going to be rough.

No problem at all, they both routinely carry 18 wheelers, the Galveston ferries are much larger than the Cameron ferry, the trip is also longer at about 15-20 minutes vs 3-5 minutes.  The Galveston ferry is free, vs $1 for the Cameron ferry depending on the direction of travel (free in one direction, I don't remember which).  Here is a blog entry from a few years ago with someone talking about the route, and showing their coach on both the Galveston, and the Cameron ferry.  https://wheeledhorizons.blogspot.com/2013/01/louisiana-with-banjo-on-my-knee.html

p.s. if you do the Tabasco factory tour try to do it on a week day when the assembly line is up and running, they have added considerably to the tour in the last few years. Though it still only takes about 20-30 minutes to see everything.  They also have RV friendly parking, though Jungle gardens is only partly RV accessible, if you have a TOAD you might want to unhook and drive it through the gardens, we were there last weekend and lots of stuff was green, though not much was blooming yet.

ISAAC-1 way is a good way to go.
On the Bolivar peninsula there arequite a few campgrounds but the bet place is the Bolivar flats. RV's of all sizes pull out onto the beach to camp. Some one will come to ask you for your permit. Pay the $10.00 to $15.00 bucks. The permit is good for a year.
There is a nice Texas state park right on the water South of Port Arthur called Sea Rim State Park. Very nice.

Also a night or 2 on Holly beach could be nice. Drive out on the Beach I do in my class A (it is allowed). Great shelling.

On a good day do not hurry to cross the ferry at Cameron. Stop and see if the porpoises are around.

Otherwise it is just fascinating scenery and my preferred  route through Louisiana  although I head up to Lafayette instead of over to New Orleans

Hey Isaac, did they ever get Lake Fausee Pointe park back up and running?  Last time we tried to make reservations there it was closed due to storm damage with no reopening date. 
We stayed there over one Mardi Gras and the campground has it's own parade and all the campers decorate their rigs like it was Christmas.
We were going to stay at Palmetto Island last spring on the way to my son's wedding in Pensacola, but that trip got canceled due to my wife's heart surgery.  Ended up watching the wedding on Face Time.

We stayed for a week at Fairview State Park in Mandeville, La a couple of years ago. Very nice place but I don't think it had sewer hookups but did have an easily accessible dump station.  Very convenient to New Orleans via the Causeway bridge (26 miles long across Lake Pontchartrain).

Bill

Its a bit further out, and if you can get a reservation.  We always stay at ST Bernard Parish State Park.  Eat at Charlies Restaurant.  The Cajun food is authentic and reasonably priced. 

I just wanted to add that the food they serve in New Orleans is rarely real Cajun food, it is often Creole or some sort of mash up

see https://www.louisianatravel.com/articles/cajun-vs-creole-food-what-difference

Thanks again Isaac. We plan to take the route you suggested given we're willing to endure some rough road in order to do a route more scenic than Interstates.  :)

Route looks like this:
https://bit.ly/2TSvZD2

We'll also look forward to visiting some of the attractions you described!

Isaac-1 said:
No problem at all, they both routinely carry 18 wheelers, the Galveston ferries are much larger than the Cameron ferry, the trip is also longer at about 15-20 minutes vs 3-5 minutes.  The Galveston ferry is free, vs $1 for the Cameron ferry depending on the direction of travel (free in one direction, I don't remember which).  Here is a blog entry from a few years ago with someone talking about the route, and showing their coach on both the Galveston, and the Cameron ferry.  https://wheeledhorizons.blogspot.com/2013/01/louisiana-with-banjo-on-my-knee.html

p.s. if you do the Tabasco factory tour try to do it on a week day when the assembly line is up and running, they have added considerably to the tour in the last few years. Though it still only takes about 20-30 minutes to see everything.  They also have RV friendly parking, though Jungle gardens is only partly RV accessible, if you have a TOAD you might want to unhook and drive it through the gardens, we were there last weekend and lots of stuff was green, though not much was blooming yet.

When looking for some tips about places to stay from fellow campers recently they mentioned that due to the salt air they avoid camping anywhere near beaches. Not sure if their advice was based on personal experience or not. Do you have any concerns when parking your Class A on the beach?

darsben said:
ISAAC-1 way is a good way to go.
On the Bolivar peninsula there arequite a few campgrounds but the bet place is the Bolivar flats. RV's of all sizes pull out onto the beach to camp. Some one will come to ask you for your permit. Pay the $10.00 to $15.00 bucks. The permit is good for a year.
There is a nice Texas state park right on the water South of Port Arthur called Sea Rim State Park. Very nice.

Also a night or 2 on Holly beach could be nice. Drive out on the Beach I do in my class A (it is allowed). Great shelling.

On a good day do not hurry to cross the ferry at Cameron. Stop and see if the porpoises are around.

Otherwise it is just fascinating scenery and my preferred  route through Louisiana  although I head up to Lafayette instead of over to New Orleans

I don't have any short term concerns, I bought my current coach from a private seller in Florida who lived within a couple of miles of the Atlantic and had owned the coach for the preceding 2 years with no apparent rust issues.  Winter salted road slush from up north would worry me more.

darsben said:
I have no concerns about my chassis on the beach at all. Everytime I crawl under the frame etc looks okay to me. My mechanics inAZ and NY report no problems when I take rig in for service. My rig 28 years old

Good to hear. Thanks for the input!

jymbee said:
Thanks much for the detailed information Isaac!

I was aware of the Mardi Gras and it's impact on availability and as I looked more into it we ended up making reservations at Bayou Segnette starting on the 7th-- after the festivities.

Your scenic route suggestion looks very interesting and as we're pretty flexible at this point I'll map it out as a possibility. One question re. the ferry crossings: any problem there with them accommodating our Class A? We do have a TOAD so wondering if that complicates anything?

Since we delayed our arrival to New Orleans we now just need to find a good stop along the way from Houston. Back to the maps!
You should not have a problem with the ferry, I believe it takes large commercial trucks.  SR-82 is a decent road.  It is a standard width 2 lane hwy, however in many places there is little to no shoulder.  Your speed is going to be more like 45-50 than 65-70. 

Plan on spending 2-3 nights at Sea Rim State Park https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sea-rim  right on the beach.  Palmetto State Park just south of Abbyville, LA is nice, but by late Feb you may start seeing quite a few mosquitoes.

BTW, it is helpful to others if you add your RV type, model and length in your signature.  Especially when asking questions about if your RV will fit someplace.

AStravelers said:
BTW, it is helpful to others if you add your RV type, model and length in your signature.  Especially when asking questions about if your RV will fit someplace.

Thanks for the info and the reminder. Done!  :))

Isaac-1 said:

Hi again Isaac,

Just wanted to follow-up and report that we took your advice-- pretty much exactly. We really enjoyed both ferry rides! Unfortunately for a significant portion of 82 East we had to deal with a very thick fog which cut down on the views quite a bit. On the other hand it made for an interesting, somewhat eerie environment. Did finally clear up enough as we worked out way East however.

We stayed 5 days at Palmetto Island State Park. Great advice as it was one of the nicest parks we stayed at for this entire trip.

Also did the Avery Island, Jungle Gardens, and Tabasco factory visit as well. Our timing was bit off for the Tabasco factory tour. Although it was mid week, we forgot it was Fat Tuesday so apparently all the factory workers were off partying.  ;)  Quite interesting nonetheless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom