Micro air easy start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myturn

Is anyone using one of these without a generator ??

I just want to be able to run the ac on occasion (not daily) for about 20 - 30 minutes without using the generator.

My set up will consist of four 100 ah battle borne batteries, 400 watts of solar (at least 200 watts to be added later) and a 2500 watt inverter.

I'm wondering if this is doable.

Norab

I don't have a Micro Air yet so can't answer your question directly. Regarding whether it is theoretically doable, IMO while the math might be close in reality you will find several issues. The inverter will generate substantial heat so ventilation will be a consideration to prevent overheat shutdown.. You will want very short battery to inverter wire runs with oversized cable to minimize voltage drop as much as possible. And even though the Micro Air will probably let you get the AC started I'm guessing near the end of your 20-30 minutes you'll probably be getting close to a low voltage shutdown of the inverter. Finally, I don't think 400 or even 600 watts of solar will bring a 400AH battery bank all the way back from 50% discharge in anything other than perfect conditions without a little generator help. And if you're going to need and hour of generator help anyway, I'd just run a 2000W generator with the Micro Air while using the AC, and if you decide you need 45 minutes of AC one day you'll have no issues.

(I don't currently have solar but my last rig had 970 watts and 2000W inverter.)

I have the microair installed on one unit  I have the front unit wired to a switch so I can change power source from the shore/gennie to the inverter, I have 8 battleborns,,,so I can use the ac down the road with no problems at all, System works well

The easy start installed a few years ago has worked as advertised. After hurricane Michael my Honda 2000i ran for over 16 days giving us A/C and electric. I did change the oil every other day however the A/C was on mostly 24/7.

Back2PA said:
I don't think 400 or even 600 watts of solar will bring a 400AH battery bank all the way back from 50% discharge in anything other than perfect conditions without a little generator help. And if you're going to need and hour of generator help anyway, I'd just run a 2000W generator with the Micro Air while using the AC, and if you decide you need 45 minutes of AC one day you'll have no issues.

coreys said:
I have the microair installed on one unit  I have the front unit wired to a switch so I can change power source from the shore/gennie to the inverter, I have 8 battleborns,,,so I can use the ac down the road with no problems at all, System works well

whiteva said:
The easy start installed a few years ago has worked as advertised. After hurricane Michael my Honda 2000i ran for over 16 days giving us A/C and electric. I did change the oil every other day however the A/C was on mostly 24/7.

Running the ac off the inverter would only be for a short time ( 20 - 30 minutes ) on the rare occasion we could not use the generator.  Like quiet time at the CG.    The RV has a Onan 5500 generator so recharging the batteries won't be a problem.

Sounds like it works as advertised.

Thank you for the info.

I gotta ask - it takes a LONG time to cool down a trailer of any size.  Why do you want to run it for such a short period of time?

-Kyle

Stayed at Zion and some other places during the summer where they have an early quiet time - 8 or 9 pm.  It sucks when you return to the rv just before or shortly after the generator curfew and it's still hot inside the rv... and outside.  It would be nice to get a little help cooling it down since we can't use the generator after hours.  Running it for a short period of time is just due to limited battery power.

The biggest part of my question was, does the Micro air easy start actually work as advertised... lower the amount of power it takes to start the ac.

Whiteva and coreys were kind enough to chime in with their experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom