Wireless dog containment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mapakids

Do any parks allow or even consider people to use wireless dog containment systems? If not what about the fences that you can set up for a play area?

Thanks

Every Park I have seen seems to demand leashes or fences.  Some seem to have issues with fences.  I doubt you would find a place where wireless containment is acceptable.  Carefully read their dog policy before booking.

I always check out the website policy and/or call and confirm their dog policies.

Our dog is family and we love camping with her.
I respect the policies of the camp ground, mainly because I understand the fear a lot of people have of dogs!  Can you imagine relaxing by the fire and having your worst fears thrown in?
nope. I will keep her leashed.

in many RV parks we have stayed in, keeping your dog on a leash means connecting the leash to the dog's collar and then letting the dog run loose dragging the leash. Chuck

SarniaTricia said:
I always check out the website policy and/or call and confirm their dog policies.

Our dog is family and we love camping with her.
I respect the policies of the camp ground, mainly because I understand the fear a lot of people have of dogs!  Can you imagine relaxing by the fire and having your worst fears thrown in?
nope. I will keep her leashed.

It is not the " fear of dogs"  - Our kids grew up with a dog

It is the inconsiderate dog owners who think it is Ok for their dog to do its business on my site

Jack L

I set up a two strand wire fence at military RV parks with no problems. My two 120 + lb German Shepards have an electric wire fence at home and will not touch or attempt to cross a single wire strand even when greatly tempted by a rabbit running past.  I do not have the electricity turned on anymore at home or at the RV park. It is not exactly wireless but it is almost invisible.

I've never heard of a CG mentioning a wireless fence for a pet but I can't imagine how big of a site you'd need to contain a pet within the fence boundaries. I have a electric invisible fence at home and if the dog gets withing 15', he knows it. If I had the same fence in the CG we're in now, the lot is about 35' wide so he's only have about a 5' space to roam.

Rene T said:
I've never heard of a CG mentioning a wireless fence for a pet but I can't imagine how big of a site you'd need to contain a pet within the fence boundaries. I have a electric invisible fence at home and if the dog gets withing 15', he knows it. If I had the same fence in the CG we're in now, the lot is about 35' wide so he's only have about a 5' space to roam.

A family parked behind us couple of years ago had a wireless system that had a transmitter that they plugged in an outlet and a collar on the dog. If the dog roamed too far from the transmitter, it would give the dog a signal. I can't remember if it was an audible signal, or if it vibrated. Maybe both. I also don't know if it shocked if the dog continued to roam farther away. It seemed to work well for them. Their dog was also small/medium sized and we'll behaved.

kdbgoat said:
A family parked behind us couple of years ago had a wireless system that had a transmitter that they plugged in an outlet and a collar on the dog. If the dog roamed too far from the transmitter, it would give the dog a signal. I can't remember if it was an audible signal, or if it vibrated. Maybe both. I also don't know if it shocked if the dog continued to roam farther away. It seemed to work well for them. Their dog was also small/medium sized and we'll behaved.

Just curious, how wide and how long was the site?

Just guessing, but about 25'x65'. The distance was adjustable. The guy was setting the distance when I asked him about it.

kdbgoat said:
Just guessing, but about 25'x65'. The distance was adjustable. The guy was setting the distance when I asked him about it.

That's interesting. I found a system on Amazon and his was one of the questions asked with a few answers:

Question: Can the range of the system be reduced to something less than the 90 feet? We want to use in our RV so area for containment would need to be smaller.

Answer: Yes it can be reduced to a very small area. The PetSafe company has a video online that explains it very well and how to test the exact distance you have set by changing the dial on the transmitter. Some friends of mine take it camping ( when an electric outlet is available) to contain their dog within their campsite. Main thing to remember that the broadcast area is round. Also follow instructions on training your pet to understand the system which is also on the afforementioned PetSafe video.

Yes it can and would be perfect for camping. It goes as small as 5 feet

Yes. Down to 5ft radius.

yes it can, We take ours camping in our RV all the time. We even run it off our generator when there is no electricity. I love it. people in the campground that walk by ask us why doesn't your dog follow us or run up to us. I explain and I have had people say I have to check into this machine.

But, read the campground rules, most state the dogs must be on a leash. Some are pretty strict about it. We found following whatever rules the campground posts is the best policy.

Yeah, dogs are to be on a leash no longer than 6 feet. Most people are using those retractable 25 to 30 foot long leashes. Rules are for other people.

Just because you have a retractable leash that extends to XXX' Does not mean you cannot hold it at s 6' distance when in a restricted area.

maddog348 said:
Just because you have a retractable leash that extends to XXX' Does not mean you cannot hold it at s 6' distance when in a restricted area.

Exactly. We have a retractable, but when 6' is specified, we keep it no longer than that.

kdbgoat said:
Exactly. We have a retractable, but when 6' is specified, we keep it no longer than that.

The CG we're in doesn't specify a maximum length so we let ours out all the way. When we approach other people or pets, we reel it in so he's right next to us. Maybe 3'.

Back
Top Bottom