Jayco Sport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatoruss

A buddy of mine recently became interested in purchasing a popup.  I had always liked the look of the Jayco Sport, and suggested he consider it as an option.  We found some very positive reviews for the 2018 and 2019 model -- and Jayco's website has a section dedicated the the 2019 model and a available floor plans.

Alas, my buddy was informed by Jayco customer service that Jayco has discontinued its camper trailer line effective December 2018.

Anyone know the backstory on this?  Seems odd that this happened -- I guess that while the line was favorably reviewed, no one was buying?

Your speculation that there weren't enough sales of the Jayco Sport pop up is probably the reason for discontinuing that product. However, your friend could probably find a very lightly used 2018 which would cost much less than a new one. For instance, here's one listed on Rvtrader.com: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Jayco-Jay-Sport-8SD-5000816679

IBTripping said:
For instance, here's one listed on Rvtrader.com: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Jayco-Jay-Sport-8SD-5000816679

Residing in Florida, Kent, WA is about as far away a place could be and still be in the continental United States.

But point taken. ?

Sad that pop ups are becoming a thing of the past.  Always thought they were neat.

Based on what I've witnessed after going to RV shows for over a decade is the slow and gradual decline of pop ups, and A-frames. There are still a few options out there, but a lot of the old legacy names have fallen off. The industry has successfully sold the average person that they have to have a hard side, and in most cases one that's over 20 feet long. This is all conjecture and opinion of course, but I just walked around a show last weekend that had maybe a dozen units that were smaller or collapsible. I already see a bunch of one owner 30 foot toyhaulers popping up on craigslist daily and that leads me to believe a lot of people got suckered into the dream of luxury camping, before being hit by the harsh realities of payment, tow vehicle limitations, unit storage and so on. I wouldn't doubt that this will end like the housing market bubble burst some time in the near future.

Jayco was bought out by Thor in 2016 so there are bound to be changes, especially in lines that had similar offerings in the many lines Thor owns

Alfa38User said:
Jayco was bought out by Thor in 2016 so there are bound to be changes, especially in lines that had similar offerings in the many lines Thor owns

Good point. Hadn't considered that.

Back
Top Bottom