Trailer Tire replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobbyg

We purchased a used trailer (private sale) 2014 Apex Ultralight Coachman a year ago and are preparing to go on a several month trip this spring.  From what I have read, it is a good idea to replace the tires every 5 years.  Is that the general consensus of the group?

If so, I am looking for some recommendations.  Current recommendations for this trailer are ST205/75R14C tires.  I have seen some folks recommend using LT tires, others have recommended sticking with ST.  My biggest concern is stability and of course safety and am leaning toward the ST tires.

Any brand recommendations?

Any opinions on buying from an on-line source and if so where do you go to get them installed?

For the last several days I have been doing research online and am beginning to get confused.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bob

Here is a good thread

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,109508.0/topicseen.html

Any tire shop will install them, or they will order what you want and install them.  Whatever works out the cheaper for you.  Do you homework as you are.  Some places push what they have.  And watch the date codes they install, even talk to them up front about it.

Thanks, that was a very interesting discussion.  I do still need to do more research.

Your best replacement size is ST205/75R14 LRD. Nearly all of the ST tire manufacturers now build that tire in LRD. Your current rim size will be the right size. However, you need to verify the wheel PSI rating, if there is one. Some just go by load capacity. Another thing is the valve stems. It's always recommended to have them replaced whenever replacing the tires. Steel will be best. In any event, insure they have the 65 PSI rating for the LRD tires. 

Your basically stuck with ST tires for that trailer.  GoodYear Endurance which are US made seem to get the nod right now as one of the best. 

donn said:
Your basically stuck with ST tires for that trailer.  GoodYear Endurance which are US made seem to get the nod right now as one of the best.

With only a few hundred miles on our new trailer (2018 Coleman 262BHWE), I got a decent credit for the factory load range C chinese-made tires from my local tire shop. Traded in for a set of 4 Goodyear Endurance, load range E (80 psi), speed rated N (87 mph).  Not too many miles yet but I'm happy so far.  Likely overkill for the trailer at 5744 lbs empty.  Full tanks and another 500 lbs of stuff should put it close to 7200 lbs total, but I haven't weighed it yet.  We're planning a big travel summer so further review later.

As soon as the winter ends I'll be installing the TireTracker TT-500 - 4 wheel TPMS.  Having had a couple of flat tires on unpaved forest service roads I figured it's good insurance.  Especially for interstate travel.

PS:  My tires are always covered when in storage, FWIW.

Thanks for all the input above.  After a good deal of research I decided on the Endurance Goodyear tires that so many of you recommended.  I ordered them online and have them currently awaiting installation.  Clearly the easiest method to accomplish the replacement is to make an appointment somewhere and have them installed on site there.  That is becoming less and less likely with only 2 weeks left before we depart on our cross country trip.  Poor Planning on my part but it does provide an opportunity to dig in and get my hands dirty.

Another option is to remove the wheel/tire myself and take them to a local tire shop to be switched old tire for new.  Having limited tools, what would be the best way to accomplish this?  The only jack I have would be for a car, supplied with the car and more than likely not appropriate for lifting a trailer.  I have seen a description for raising the one tire in the tandem tires on one side by laying boards to lift the one tire but leaving the second one hanging, there by allowing the removal of that one tire.  Then I could take one tire at a time to the shop to have it replaced.  This sounds like a time consuming process. 

Is this a crazy idea?  Is it potentially dangerous, for me or the trailer?  Again a 25 foot Coachman/Forest River Apex with tandem tires. 

Any other suggestions for accomplishing the replacement?  Anything I am not considering would be much appreciated in having it pointed out. 

Thanks from a complete newbie. 

Bob
Bobbyg, Coachman/ForestRiver Apex 2015. 

Bob:  You have a 2014 Trailer.  My guess is, the wheel bearings have not been repacked with grease.  Based on your limited experience, if I were you, I would find a way to get the trailer to your local tire shop, ask them to install the tires and repack your wheel bearings with grease.  Call them first and make sure they will do this. If that just is not an option for you, I would recommend that you find a mobile mechanic that will come to your location, take off the tires, place on jack stands or blocks, and you can take them to your tire folks. Then ask your mechanic to repack your wheel bearings as well.  Last option, go to your local tire place, and talk to the guys in the shop.  Good chance someone will come over and do what you need done for some side cash.  Good luck  :))

Bobbyg:  What I've done is call my local tire shop to make sure they can do the job and have room in the lot for the rig.  Pay them to jack up the camper and swap out the tires.  They have the jacks and equipment.  You'll have to pay them since you already have your new tires in hand.  Ask them how much.  Shouldn't take too long.
For sure you need to have a jack suitable for lifting a wheel/axle in case you need to change a flat.  That includes a lug wrench that'll fit your camper lugs.  A bottle jack, or small floor jack, with enough lift should work.  The jack in my Ram pickup works, but the lug wrench isn't even close so I carry a 4-way wrench for the trailer.

And be aware that the lugs that hold the spare on the bracket may not use the same size socket as the wheels on the trailer.

Thanks for the responses.  I had thought about asking at my local Tire shop but wasn?t sure they would be open to this.  I will definitely check them out. 

And I will see about having a jack along with me on our trip, something that had not occurred to me until thinking on this project.  I tow the trailer with a Chevy Silverado 1500.  Would the jack from that vehicle likely be suited for the trailer? 

And repacking the wheel bearing was one of the items on my list before our trip.  It would be convenient to have that done at the same time. 

Bobbyg said:
And I will see about having a jack along with me on our trip, something that had not occurred to me until thinking on this project.  I tow the trailer with a Chevy Silverado 1500.  Would the jack from that vehicle likely be suited for the trailer? 
/quote]

The best answer is to get your jack out and try it.....That's what I did for our travel trailer. In our case I needed to use a 4 x 4 block under the jack to make it work. (Not a big deal, I just use one from the tongue jack)

Bobbyg said:
Thanks for the responses.  I had thought about asking at my local Tire shop but wasn?t sure they would be open to this.  I will definitely check them out. 

And repacking the wheel bearing was one of the items on my list before our trip.  It would be convenient to have that done at the same time.

I wouldn't consider the jack with the truck sufficient to jack up the truck either.  Go get a bottle jack, and a 4 way tire iron so you're covered.  While you're getting all the work done on your trailer, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the cover off the spare and check that, along with dropping the spare on your truck and checking it/filling it with air.

You should also make sure you have enough wood blocks to put the jack on to lift the trailer, and spread the load across the frame. 

The new tires are on (at one local tire shop) and the trailer is waiting for bearing repack and inspection at a shop that works on big trucks. That is costing more than I expected, but better that than screwing up the axle when the bearing blows.  Does the repack need to be yearly?  Or can I stretch it with monthly grease gun action? Thanks for all the advice. 

I just saw the new post.  The jack research is still ongoing.  At the tire shop we discussed the spare and I plan to give it a good once over, top off the air and be sure I have the right size socket to remove it from the rear of the trailer.  It is only 5 years old and has a cover on it so we decided it could wait a little before being replaced.  And yes, the spare on the truck needs to be inspected and pressure checked.  Much thanks for the advice.

Bobbyg said:
The new tires are on (at one local tire shop) and the trailer is waiting for bearing repack and inspection at a shop that works on big trucks. That is costing more than I expected, but better that than screwing up the axle when the bearing blows.  Does the repack need to be yearly?  Or can I stretch it with monthly grease gun action? Thanks for all the advice.

Great to hear.  It's almost travel time  :)
Bearings?  I've read or heard to do it every couple years or 10,000 miles.  I as well have the grease fitting, and I plan to do mine that way, with caution, Many are opposed to it, but many also say that the concept and procedure works fine, and all I think is why would a mfg install these fittings if it didn't work?  Pay attention to the procedure, you are still supposed to jack it up and spin slowly while inserting grease.  Many videos on the web.  I'd also like to hear others opinion on this.  Also, what is the best type of grease to use?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom