Buying a Used Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ambrose

Hi Folks

I am from Canada and am considering buying a MH DP (40ft) in the USA. What advice would you provide regarding pre-purchase inspections. I am thinking of an inspection like you would do if you were buying a (bricks and sticks) home or a survey of a boat. Are there firms that specialize in this? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Ambrose

Have you checked the library?  There is a link button at the top of the page.  There is just such advice as you are asking there.

It is a very good idea to have a prospective used motorhome inspeced by a knowledgable person that has no connection with the seller.  Might cost some but not nearly what existing unknown repairs might cost after the purchase.

Ambrose said:
Are there firms that specialize in this? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Ambrose, I would think in terms of two inspections -- one for the chassis and one for the MH itself. I would have the chassis inspected by the builder. For example, if a Ford, have it done at a Ford truck center.

My last purchase of used MH about 1 1/2 years ago was after being a full time RVer for 10 years. So I just checked out all the appliances myself plus got the help of a Mobile RV Repair guy in that area. I had driven from CA to TX to make the deal. I have had very good luck with Mobile Repair persons that I find in the yellow pages during my travels.

You can also find RV Appliance Repair facilities in most major cities. There is one in Sacramento that I always use. They know just what to look for and have the test equipment to look further than I can by just making sure it works on the surface. To save time on my last purchase I asked the seller to find such an outlet for me -- which he did. I told him what I wanted vs. any personal friends of his.

Another thought. When purchasing from afar on eBay or other on line sources, there is a tendency to forgo these types of inspections -- even after having planned to do so. The reason is that we get very excited when we jump in that rig and drive it around the block -- and the seller seems like "such" a nice person. So we want to get that rig on the road and don't want to make the seller (or ourselves) wait those extra few days to get the inspections done. This haste can cost thousands if we forgo those inspections.

Bob's advice re two inspection is excellent, in my opinion. You really need two experts.

The difficulty with RV inspections is that many (most?) of the inspectors aren't worth the price. Some are not well qualified and some have their own set of prejudices and blind spots.  Home inspectors usually have some training in home inspections, even if they lack expereince. RV inspectors just hang out a shingle and start inspecting.  The average RV technician isn't all that well qualified to inspect all aspects of an RV (especially the chassis mechanics), but maybe he can help you with fridge, water heater, etc.  But if you can find a really good guy (or gal) to do the inspection, it's worth almost any price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom