West Yellowstone-Grand Tetons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all, In July we are leaving Wedt Yellowstone and heading down to Jackson Hole for a few nights.  We are leaving with a day to drive around and see the sites.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where we can ?boondock? in that area for a night?
Thanks as always,
Mike

I haven't been in that area personally, but the Unlimited Campgrounds application (UC Public) available for Android or iOS shows a lot of forestry service free sites. However, they are some distance off the road.

If you think it is cool enough then there are a few boondocking spots right next to the park.  Lower and Upper Teton View are on Campendium (Forest Road 30310) and are reasonably busy.  There is a small campground up in the Elk Reserve too and a few others...

https://www.campendium.com/grand-teton-national-park#bounds=((43.731665280058024%2C+-110.6158541754263)%2C+(43.807009653771274%2C+-110.50811986012145))

Coulter Bay in GTNP has two CGs a FHU CG and a FS CG no HUPs and no reservations about 300 sites. About 5 miles north of the town of Jackson and about 4 miles east (toward Kelly) is Gros Ventre CG, a no reservation FS CG also about 300 sites.

coxid said:
Coulter Bay in GTNP has two CGs a FHU CG and a FS CG no HUPs and no reservations about 300 sites. About 5 miles north of the town of Jackson and about 4 miles east (toward Kelly) is Gros Ventre CG, a no reservation FS CG also about 300 sites.

X2 on Gros Ventre (pronounced "Grow Vaunt" so you don't sound goofy to the locals like I did  :-\ ) Very nice campground near the Gros Ventre River

Gros Ventre is dry camping and not too expensive, especially if you have a senior pass. It is first come/first serve, but you should be fine if you show up in the morning, even in July. It does fill up in prime season.

Completely Free on BLM land next to a gin-clear stream/fire-ring on gravel drive......usually no others to bother.........Follow 189/191 through south town and across the Snake and heads east........about 3-5 miles look for the drive to the south in a level valley. We enjoyed the float-trip on the Snake just to the north of Jackson with good history of how the park was 'wrestled' away from the ranchers.

Gros Ventre also has some sites with water/electric as well,  Senior pass makes camping 50%, but you pay all assessment on the electric.

I lived and worked at Old Faithful fr 10 years,. 

PancakeBill said:
Gros Ventre also has some sites with water/electric as well,  Senior pass makes camping 50%, but you pay all assessment on the electric.

I lived and worked at Old Faithful fr 10 years,.
I always like to caution people about the electric sites at Gros Ventre though. They are hard to get. They only have a few, and they are always full when we have gone (May, June, August, Late September). To get one you have to get on a first come, first serve list that is made fresh every day as soon as the office opens. I have seen lines waiting to sign up 10 deep! Of course, some times I have seen the line only 4 deep, so YMMV. It would have been nice the times were were there for 5-10 days, but since we are self sufficient we left those sites for those who really need them, like CPAP users without enough batteries. So even if Gros Ventre has electric sites, folks better be prepared to handle dry camping.

I have only used electric sites twice there and both times I got one, didn't give it much thought.  I usually went down there in units that did not need electric, and often would ht the dispersed camp sites near there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom