Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshall212

Good Morning,
We would like more pressure for our coach. There is nothing wrong with our current water pump other than we would like to up the gallons per minute. Just so I am clear, there are no leaks in the pex or at any faucet. My current water pump is a Flojet model 03526144A. It is rated at 2.9 GPM at a pressure of 50 PSI.

I am looking for recommendations on two issues. (1) new water pump (2) would an accumulator tank improve flow? Our current pump does not stutter when pumping so that is not an issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Marshall

I have replaced several over the years.. The last was two years ago,, I install a 5.8 GPM at 100 PSI "pool pump" and I am really happy with it.. Needless to say the showers are great!!>>>Dan

remember, it you do this your hot water showers are going to be VERY short!!!

Not necessarily,,it still gets the same mix with cold and comes out of the shower head at what ever rate you choose,, just more pressure.>>>Dan  ( I have the same 6 gallon heater as most others) I also can and do wash my M/H with a hose from my own supply.>>>

Utclmjmpr said:
  Not necessarily,,it still gets the same mix with cold and comes out of the shower head at what ever rate you choose,, just more pressure.

More pressure means more water usage.

Have you considered replacing your shower handheld fixture with an Oxygenics model?  They add air to the water and make a "dribble" shower into one that feels like a real shower.  https://www.campingworld.com/bodyspa-rv-shower-kit-white

Also, have you checked faucets to make sure the mesh is not plugged in any way?

AFAIK, an accumulator tank won't improve pressure or flow.  It's more of a pressure storage device, which holds the pressure a bit longer so the pump doesn't run as often and helps manage pressure spikes from usage. 

Think of it as a sort of fluid battery or capacitor.  There is a rubber bladder inside the tank with captured air.  Water isn't compressible, but air is, so as you pressurize the tank with the pump, the air in the bladder compresses, storing energy.  When there is demand and the pump isn't running, the accumulator will discharge this into the lines, keeping the pressure at the set point longer, reducing need for pump cycles.  However, you can only get the pressure out that you put in, so it won't ever exceed the pressure capacity of the pump that energizes it.

As they say,, "nothing is free" and that is true for the accumulator tank. You are correct that the pump won't cycle AS OFTEN,,BUT it will run longer when cycled to re-pressurize the tank.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
As they say,, "nothing is free" and that is true for the accumulator tank. You are correct that the pump won't cycle AS OFTEN,,BUT it will run longer when cycled to re-pressurize the tank.>>>Dan

True.  It will certainly take more to "re-compress" that air bladder.  In a closed system without accumulator, there's no air to compress, so the pump hits its pressure cutoff much more quickly.

I have replaced several over the years.. The last was two years ago,, I install a 5.8 GPM at 100 PSI "pool pump" and I am really happy with it.. Needless to say the showers are great!!>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr, what brand/model pool pump are you using?
I have replaced several over Utclmjmpr the years.. The last was two years ago,, I install a 5.8 GPM at 100 PSI "pool pump" and I am really happy with it.. Needless to say the showers are great!!>>>Dan

Good Morning,
We would like more pressure for our coach. There is nothing wrong with our current water pump other than we would like to up the gallons per minute. Just so I am clear, there are no leaks in the pex or at any faucet. My current water pump is a Flojet model 03526144A. It is rated at 2.9 GPM at a pressure of 50 PSI.

I am looking for recommendations on two issues. (1) new water pump (2) would an accumulator tank improve flow? Our current pump does not stutter when pumping so that is not an issue.

Suggestions?

Remco Aquajet - you will need 10A for this one.

We have a tankless water heater and we love it.
Tankless are great, but have a few drawbacks. If you are running a higher pressure, the volume also increases. Tankless heater can only heat the water to about 80º above the temp of the water coming in and at a certain flow rate. If you are running more water through the system, it may not be able to heat it as high.

My current water pump is a Flojet model 03526144A. It is rated at 2.9 GPM at a pressure of 50 PSI.
(1) new water pump
The key thing to consider is the GPM the pump can provide. If your demand exceeds the rated amount the pressure will drop quickly. I would suggest that you replace the pump with one of at least 5 GPM from Amazon or some other seller. If budget is not a constraint, you might even consider higher than that.
(2) would an accumulator tank improve flow?
An accumulator would only improve the water flow for as long as the amount held by it would last. The main function of them is to level out the flow volume & pressure. They also mean that for small amounts of water the pump does not run at all as the accumulator will supply, depending on the size of accumulator. They are commonly available from about 1 pint to as much as 2 gallons, but even larger can be found. If there is no check valve on the inlet to the water heater they also relieve the possibility of over pressure in the water heater when filled with cold water and then heated.

For any noticable
improvement only shop for a 4 chamber pump at a minimum of 50 psi.

My Bigfoot came with a 3 GPM Shurflo pump that the max pressure was 30 psi. I recently installed a pump rated for 50 psi but have it throttled back with The Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller, which basically turns the pump into a variable speed continuous run pump, eliminating the on-off-on-off cycling of the pump due to the pressure switch. I really don't need extra pressure or flow, I just wanted continuous flow.

If you are using the pump and want high pressure and flow, you must have very large fresh and gray water tanks. I am extremely limited and I just want the most from the least, and the higher pump with the controller slowing it down gives me what I want from the limited water I have. (I might should have bought a variable speed pump, but had already installed the controller at that point)

And yes, my old pump was a three chamber and the new 4008 series pump is a four chamber.

If you want crazy high pressure and flow This pump might be what you are looking for.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_121610.jpg
    IMG_20231119_121610.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947