Oven pilot light/flame.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My neighbor came over a few minutes ago and said she was having problems lighting her oven pilot light. Her husband had to go out of town for a couple of days. She said that they usually leave the pilot light lit all the time but for some reason, hers went out. This got me thinking of what others do. We light ours whenever we need to use the oven. What do others do. Does the pilot light use allot of propane if left on all the time?

Since we use our oven to store a couple of large pans and a baking dish my wife insists we carry, we light the pilot only when using the oven.

I wouldn't think that pilot would use much propane.  The flame is smaller than the heater flame on the fridge, and everyone says the fridge just sips propane.

I use one fifteen gallon jug of propane per month. One of those little exchange bottles that costs $15. The only thing I use propane for is the water heater which has a pilot light that runs all time. I take a dozen showers per month. So my pilot light runs for a month on a small bottle of propane.

On most ovens I've dealt with over the years (There are exceptions) OFF is OFF pilot and main burner

You turn to PILOT and press the button. then light the pilot (I cheat) and hold for a minute then turn to 350 or whatever the recipe calls for plus/minus error adjustment cause RV Oven Thermostats are nto well calibrated (in my case 350 means I set the dial to 400. on some it's 325 or _____)  and it works.

On some the main burner lights and then goes HIGH/LOW when you set to the PILOT position.

Very few have a full time pilot.

Turn it on and leave it on.  Never know when I have a hankering for something cooked in the oven.  Really hate trying to light the oven pilot at 5AM for cimmanon rolls.  The amount of gas a pilot light consumes is so small its not worth mentioning.  Heck, I'll bet the pilot on your gas water heater at home is still on?

donn said:
Heck, I'll bet the pilot on your gas water heater at home is still on?

If you're referring to me, NOPE. I have a solar hot water system.
I want to add that we only use the oven once every couple of weeks or so. We also store stuff in the oven but is things like cookie sheets etc..  Non flammable.

Rene, don't for get to check for guns before turning the oven on.

ChasA said:
Rene, don't for get to check for guns before turning the oven on.

My mom always stored a  plastic dish washing pan and rack in the oven at home.  We all know how this story ends.  Dad was so pissed, that house stunk for weeks.  ;D ;D ;D

No and NO.
There is a thermalcouple that provides milivolts to the control valve.  No volts the valve by default closes shutting off gas flow.

On some ovens, you can cheat having to hold the knob in to light the pilot by turning the knob past pilot to a temperature setting.

This transfers the thermocouple from the pilot gas line to the main burner gas line.  You'll have gas flowing to the pilot and it will light instantly as soon as you hold a match to it.

Then you have several seconds to pull your hand out of the way before the main burner lights.

Rene T said:
I store mine elsewhere.  ;D :D ;) ;)  It would be hard to get to if I kept it in the oven.

We bought our coach from the chief of police of a small town near us.  Last thing he did before he let me drive away with the coach was to check all the cabinets to make sure he got all his guns out.  Also gave me some professional advice on where to hide them.  ;)

Rene T said:
We light ours whenever we need to use the oven. What do others do.

I do the same, although to be honest I'm not sure why, just what I've always done. I use the oven a couple times a week and just light as needed

I used to work for a HVAC company, the owner said that the pilot light cost about 3-5 dollars a month but, this was 18 years ago and, natural gas. One site says at 3 dollars per gallon of LP it cost 24 dollars per month. Who is really correct, I don't know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom