Water heater, fridge lids how to really lock them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARYJ

All RVs water heater and fridge lids are so darn easy to open
Is there a way to really lock them and prevent anyone from messing with what?s inside?

Zip ties work great to make sure they stay in place.  I don't worry about people messing with whats inside, most people that would mess with stuff would do something to things that are more accessible, pull the brake pin on a trailer / TOAD, put something in front of a tire, mess with the gas cap, etc.  They are not going to pull open an access hatch and try to mess with a propane burner.

Thanks for the reply, but that is not the answer I?m looking for

I think you're looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. In over 15 years of RVing I've never seen one locked.

This forum has been around since I think the late 1980s or early 1990s and I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that someone had messed with their water heater or frig.

I guess you could drill and mount hatch locks on them, or mount padlocks on outside.  Although, padlocks on outside scream " I'm different, don't look inside".  I would think it would be a safety issue, WH catches fire, can't open door to extinguish.

SpencerPJ said:
I guess you could drill and mount hatch locks on them, or mount padlocks on outside.  Although, padlocks on outside scream " I'm different, don't look inside".  I would think it would be a safety issue, WH catches fire, can't open door to extinguish.

Exactly! I prefer ready access to both areas in case it's quickly needed...

Both of those entry hatches are made of thin metal. Locked or not someone could gain access to either in under a minute with a large screwdriver. I suppose at least you'd know they'd been broken into, but you're not going to keep anyone out by locking.

One could, I suppose, make hinged security bars to cover the access doors, lag bolt them to the access cavity frame, and then lock that. However, I wonder why you are that concerned? Have you, or anyone you know ever had an issue with this?

Any security system is only as good as it's weakest point. A crow bar will gain very quick access to just about any RV.

After almost 50 years of RVing, I have never had, nor heard of, anyone removing the covers. I just don't worry about it.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I think you're looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. In over 15 years of RVing I've never seen one locked.

This forum has been around since I think the late 1980s or early 1990s and I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that someone had messed with their water heater or frig.
Have you been RVing outside of the US?

I am not thinking about high security, I understand that if someone really want the generator, access to the RV, or take it all, they just have to take angun with them and ask nicely for the keys.
Also, not thinking about locking those lids while the RV is in use, but when it?s parked somewhere and don?t want curious people taking a look
About it being a waste of time; isn?t RVing all about that?

Alaskansnowbirds said:

Attachments

• What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 5
I wonder if there are safety rules that have to followed. 

If you look you'll see that the compartment that has your LP gas does not have a lock.  Firemen need to get to it in an emergency to shut it off.

Both the water heater and refrigerator have open flames when they are running, wonder if they need to be kept unlocked.

Arch Hoagland said:
If you look you'll see that the compartment that has your LP gas does not have a lock.  Firemen need to get to it in an emergency to shut it off.

They'll gain access in about 5 seconds with their bare hand wearing gloves of course. Been there done that.

I agree with the comments above.  However, may I add that a zip tie may not keep anybody out, but it WILL tell you if anybody has been inside.

Gary,
If it will give you peace of mind, go ahead and  jury rig a lock. There are none made for those hatches.

Back
Top Bottom