TireMinder (TMPS) Tire Pressure Monitor System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnRVAndADog

I just installed this guy, the one with the smartphone app. Literally, ZERO problems or issues! Bing, bang, boom, done! All six valve stem sensors worked perfect, the Bluetooth adapter is quick, the iPhone app works fine. I had a minor problem getting the fake chrome wheel cover off the front tire, because I dropped the sensor down that hole, and the fake chrome lug nut came off the real lug nut... No way to get it back on so I Gorilla-glued it back on...

Anyway, I'm loving this thing. And the instructions are written in actual English, not Chinglish!

Today was a good day...

AnRVAndADog said:
I just installed this guy, the one with the smartphone app. Literally, ZERO problems or issues! Bing, bang, boom, done! All six valve stem sensors worked perfect, the Bluetooth adapter is quick, the iPhone app works fine. I had a minor problem getting the fake chrome wheel cover off the front tire, because I dropped the sensor down that hole, and the fake chrome lug nut came off the real lug nut... No way to get it back on so I Gorilla-glued it back on...

Anyway, I'm loving this thing. And the instructions are written in actual English, not Chinglish!

Today was a good day...

I've had that same system for about two years and I love it.  I've been using it on a tow behind Toy Hauler and getting ready to move it over to a new Toy Hauler that I will have to add two more sensors to the system.  No problem with part though, it will monitor up to 22 sensors.  I really like the fact that I don't have to have a dedicated TPMS monitor on the dash of the TV and can monitor with my smartphone.

xrated said:
I've had that same system for about two years and I love it.  I've been using it on a tow behind Toy Hauler and getting ready to move it over to a new Toy Hauler that I will have to add two more sensors to the system.  No problem with part though, it will monitor up to 22 sensors.  I really like the fact that I don't have to have a dedicated TPMS monitor on the dash of the TV and can monitor with my smartphone.

Agreed! I like monitoring on my iPhone, especially because I'm out of dashboard real estate already! I especially like how incredibly easy it was to install!

Is this a need item or something that can be put off for a while. We just bought a 5th wheel and have so much to get, adapters, hoses all the things that I'm not even sure of yet, but want to be safe. So much research I can't wait to just go somewhere, if it ever warms up here in KY.

Mombez said:
Is this a need item or something that can be put off for a while. We just bought a 5th wheel and have so much to get, adapters, hoses all the things that I'm not even sure of yet, but want to be safe. So much research I can't wait to just go somewhere, if it ever warms up here in KY.

If I was a salesperson I'd tell ya to run out and buy it this afternoon - you gotta have it - the fate of the free world is at stake!

But I'm not a salesperson. The truth is (odds are) you'll probably never need it.

First, get all the basic stuff you need to enjoy a weekend in your RV. Do that a few times. Figure out what other basic stuff you need to enjoy your RV for a week. Do that a few times. When you've done that you'll be an expert on the basic stuff you need, the basic stuff you don't need, the extra stuff you didn't know you needed, AND definitely some things will have broke or gone weird and you'll have fixed them.

That's where we are. We bought our RV last year, early summer, and we're solidly in the fine tuning mode. I'm fixing little things that haven't broke yet because I can see that they're heading downhill, like cargo door supports, etc.

Tires. Have a pro look at them. Especially have a pro look at them from UNDER the RV. If your tires are good then make damn sure you're in the habit of checking air pressure every single time you move it. When you get tired with checking air pressure every single time then you're ready for a TPMS.

Good luck, have fun!

the habit of checking air pressure every single time you move it.

Even that doesn't help  if your tire starts going down during a 2-3 hour stretch between stops, where the TPMS WILL help in that case. Granted that you may go a long time and never need it, but it's like insurance -- you hope you never have to use it, but if you do then nothing else will suffice. So, to the OP, I'd suggest you not wait TOO long before getting a TPMS, especially since a blowout can cause serious damage to your rig, though the odds on any given trip are in your favor. Over time you're likely to be glad you have it. Besides, it means you don't have to walk around your rig with a tire gauge -- instead, just read the TPMS.

Your choice...

The truth is (odds are) you'll probably never need it.

I beg to differ.  We check tires before every trip and at almost every stop.  The truth is "things" happen and you really do need to have a TPMS for those rare times.  An example is we were on a freeway in Tennessee when our TPMS audible alarm sounded.  It took almost a half mile to find a safe place to pull over.  By then, one of our motorhome tires was almost flat.  We had acquired a large bolt in that tire and were very thankful to have the TPMS instead of undercarriage damage!  We've also had our toad tire go flat which also can cause serious problems.  The cost of a TPMS is cheap when compared to the damage a major flat tire can cause.

ArdraF

There are some things you MUST have to go camping, like sewer hoses, power cords, drinking water hose, bed sheets, etc.

The second list of really good to have includes several basic "insurance" items.  These are things you HOPE you never need, but will  save your fanny if and when you do.  This list includes 

a TPMS to provide warning of tire issues while driving,
a GOOD water pressure regulator to protect from high campground pressure which could rupture internal water lines,
a EMS to monitor incoming electrical issues like high AND low voltages, spikes and improperly wired campground power, which can fry every electrical toy in the RV, and
a water filter system to help protect from bad tasting or high particulates in campground water.

A decent TPMS - $200 - 300
Adjustable BRASS pressure regulator - $30 up
EMS  $40 for portable surge protection  up to $350 for top of the line hard wired unit.
Water filter from $15 for simple in line hose filter to $100 dual cartridge systems to RO systems, to softeners.

Then there is the personal I want list:  charcoal grill, lawn chairs, yard games, hydraulic auto level system, marshmallow forks, ..........

On TPMS we waited.  This is our 4th camper and never had a TPMS.  My diving force is we double tow with this rig, and knowing what is going on at the tail end seemed important.  Only a few trips so far, but it works and feel better......to me worth the expense.

-Kyle

A re-post of my message from 2010; Take away what you will from this.

I wish I'd had a tire pressure monitoring system when, in the 80's, a tire on the toad lost air. I didn't notice it, and kept dragging the toad up into the Sierra foothills until someone overtook me and honked his horn. When I pulled over, the tire had virtually turned to ash. Fortunately, this was a driver's side tire. I say fortunate because ....

A few weeks later I read about the same thing happening to a couple in another state, but on a passenger side tire. When they pulled over, it started a wildfire. They received a bill for $1M for fighting the fire and, I presume, damages.

Tom said:
A re-post of my message from 2010; Take away what you will from this.

I wish I'd had a tire pressure monitoring system when, in the 80's, a tire on the toad lost air. I didn't notice it, and kept dragging the toad up into the Sierra foothills until someone overtook me and honked his horn. When I pulled over, the tire had virtually turned to ash. Fortunately, this was a driver's side tire. I say fortunate because ....
A few weeks later I read about the same thing happening to a couple in another state, but on a passenger side tire. When they pulled over, it started a wildfire. They received a bill for $1M for fighting the fire and, I presume, damages.

A million bucks! Whip out your checkbook! At the point who cares if it bounces, yer screwed anyway!

AnRVAndADog said:
Today was a good day...

Update:

Cold PSI & Temp
Left front: 86 73?
Left rear outside: 89 77?
Left rear inside: 85 75?
Right rear inside: 86 73?
Right rear outside: 87 81?
Right front: 89 75?

Running PSI & Temp:
Left front: 97 91?
Left rear outside: 105 95?
Left rear inside: 95 100?
Right rear inside: 99 102?
Right rear outside: 104 102?
Right front: 101 95?

I had the thresholds set too low and was getting alarms all over the place. On the return trip I set the threshold a bit higher and no alarms...

The max PSI for my tires is 110, so PSIs like 105 and 104 are disconcerting but I guess that's normal. Also these are new tires with only a few hundred miles on them.

I'm thinking about lowering cold PSI to 87 all around. Is that a good idea or not?

Have your coach weighed and use the tire manufacturer's tables to set your tire pressures.  Don't set your cold pressures based on your hot ones.

I'm thinking about lowering cold PSI to 87 all around. Is that a good idea or not?

What's the tire manufacturer's recommended cold pressure(s) for the load each tire is carrying? Setting them below that is generally not a good idea.

Oops, Old_Crow already said it.

AnRVAndADog,

>>I had the thresholds set too low and was getting alarms all over the place. On the return trip I set the threshold a bit higher and no alarms...The max PSI for my tires is 110, so PSIs like 105 and 104 are disconcerting but I guess that's normal. Also these are new tires with only a few hundred miles on them.I'm thinking about lowering cold PSI to 87 all around. Is that a good idea or not?<<

The lisedt MAX tire pressure is for COLD tires. It is OK that running temperatures exceed the listed max pressure.

Most of us set our pressure according to the weight on each tire and the tire manufacture weight chart and then add 5lbs.

ken

I had the same alarm issue my first trip.  Easy fix.

Ken & Sheila said:
AnRVAndADog,
The lisedt MAX tire pressure is for COLD tires. It is OK that running temperatures exceed the listed max pressure.

Very true!  All tire pressure numbers are cold pressure, then they go to where they will.  They are designed for that.

AnRVAndADog said:
Update:

Cold PSI & Temp
Left front: 86 73?
Left rear outside: 89 77?
Left rear inside: 85 75?
Right rear inside: 86 73?
Right rear outside: 87 81?
Right front: 89 75?
Running PSI & Temp:
Left front: 97 91?
Left rear outside: 105 95?
Left rear inside: 95 100?
Right rear inside: 99 102?
Right rear outside: 104 102?
Right front: 101 95?
I had the thresholds set too low and was getting alarms all over the place. On the return trip I set the threshold a bit higher and no alarms...
The max PSI for my tires is 110, so PSIs like 105 and 104 are disconcerting but I guess that's normal. Also these are new tires with only a few hundred miles on them.

Old_Crow said:
Have your coach weighed and use the tire manufacturer's tables to set your tire pressures.  Don't set your cold pressures based on your hot ones.
Tom said:
What's the tire manufacturer's recommended cold pressure(s) for the load each tire is carrying? Setting them below that is generally not a good idea.
Ken & Sheila said:
Most of us set our pressure according to the weight on each tire and the tire manufacture weight chart and then add 5lbs.
ken
grashley said:
I had the same alarm issue my first trip.  Easy fix.
Very true!  All tire pressure numbers are cold pressure, then they go to where they will.  They are designed for that.

Ahhh? I get it. Wish they would have said "cold" on the actual tire...  So I really should be 90psi all around (I'm heavy plus the 5psi) and make sure my thresholds are set high enough not to drive me crazy...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom