Is 270K miles too much to buy used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABsavage

Hello!

My husband and I are new to the RV life and are looking to purchase our first camper van. We plan to live in it full time for the next 10 months and take it all across North America. So far we have been drawn to Class B vans that are 21' or less. Yesterday we looked at a used 1999 Road Trek 170 on a Dodge Chassis. It has seen some wear but has had many things replaced and drives well. We took it on the freeway and up a hill and felt good about how it was running. Overall we really liked it and for $10,000 the price seems right. However, it has been well used and has 260K miles on it. At 170 miles the engine was rebuilt. We have not had a chance to get a third party to look at it yet and wanted to see if we could get some advice from the community. At that amount of miles is it really a good idea for our needs?

That would be way too many miles for me and the price reflects that.  The larger issue I think is 170 ( 17 feet). As an owner of a 210 (21 feet) I can tell you two people in there need that extra 4 feet.

My opinion, 270k miles.  Almost everything is beyond it's designed useful life.  Yes the engine was rebuilt, but all the other suspension parts, drive train, etc etc.  And you plan to take across country..  If it breaks, do you have the financial means to fix on the road at the nearest Dealers shop rate?  It would be different if it was going to be a weekend warrior, local machine.  So, you asked if that was too many miles.  My answer is, way way way too many miles for the adventure you plan with it.

As others have said, WAY too many miles. Don't consider it for any price

The mileage doesn't bother me, it will last another ten months. But the length bothers me. I full timed it in a van and as a single person it was really tight. You need a minimum of 30 feet for two people full timing and even that will be crowded. It is not just the size of the vehicle, it is the very small holding tanks and the lack of room to put your stuff. Spend a week living in your bathroom to understand what I am talking about. Seriously, rent an RV before you invest in one.

When do you plan to divorce?  At 21 feet there is no place to escape for two people.  I lived alone in a 28 footer and it was OK for just me.  I worked out of state with it and the girlfriend would visit every so often, it was too small for two people.  At 260k miles, it's due for another rebuild soon.  It's worn out.  Labor rates will shortly go through any money you have.  Save your money and buy a tent, they make them that big, or get something bigger with less miles.  Do you have a truck?  Maybe get a travel trailer, at least you'll have a separate space with the truck cab if the walls start closing in.  No offense.

What they said! Too small, too many miles!

We're on our third. Twenty-two- , 32-, and 35-feet. The second at 32 feet worked well for two people.

Ernie

Buy a 25 foot TT and a decent half ton truck.  Add a cab high canopy for all the extras and go.  Much better configuration for semi full timing.  Even that would be too small for even me alone.  I like my creature comforts of a real bed, closet space for my few clothes, and a decent kitchen.  While I cook a lot outside, I still want a good efficient kitchen layout.  Class Bs simply dont offer any of those things.  Dont get me wrong, their OK for a weekend couple who are always on the move.  But no permanent bed?  NOT! In this lifetime.

We live for 6 months in our 28ft travel trailer and are very happy.

I have seen people in very small vans,  truck campers and tiny trailers who seem happy enough. It is really up to you to decide if it would work for you.  Some folks travel mostly in places with good weather and spend lots of time outdoors and  may not need a lot of indoor space.  Depends on where you go, what you will be doing, how  much "stuff" you need and how you like to live....

Can't help on the mileage thing.....  ;D

Regarding size of the vehicle, I have to disagree with those saying that 21 feet is "too small". The two of us recently returned from a seven month trip in a 21 foot campervan, and we did just fine. The only reason we stopped at seven months was to attend to doctors appointments, and spend the coldest months of the year in our stick and brick. If you plan to stay indoors all day, most days, and watch tv then it would be too small. But if you are seeing things, touring, meeting people, hiking, going to museums...or even hanging around camp reading or chatting with other people, it is fine. We loved the flexibility of driving that size. But I would not want that old a vehicle with that many miles unless you are comfortable spending a lot of time waiting for it to be repaired.

Back
Top Bottom