"Accu-slide" cable drive slideout chatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back2PA said:
Ok thanks I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Go back and re-read my above post...I edited it to add some additional info.  And when you do finally get it adjusted correctly....DON'T FORGET TO LOCK THE ADJUSTERS DOWN WITH A JAMB NUT.

xrated said:
Go back and re-read my above post...I edited it to add some additional info.  And when you do finally get it adjusted correctly....DON'T FORGET TO LOCK THE ADJUSTERS DOWN WITH A JAMB NUT.

Thanks. I've already purchased 32 nuts based on your earlier recommendation

Frank B said:
Sorry. Didn't mean to be discouraging or sound condescending. It is just that from the thread above, it seems that you have worked long and hard on this, and you say the cables are more taught than before. I have just found that there are times when it is worth paying for experience rather than break something, and end up with a bigger job. Was only trying to share that caution. My apologies if it came across wrong.

No worries, no apologies necessary.

I learned how to adjust the large double rack and pinion slide on my last rig that involved a large special order crowfoot wrench to loosen a gland nut, wrestling the slide around and retorquing the gland nut to 130#, and here I've got a handful of 3/8" nuts that just need to be loosened or tightened in the right order and I can't figure it out. Just frustrating but I'll get it (along with xrated and others' assistance).

Another reason I don't want to just pay someone is I have 4 of these slides and I need to learn how to do this myself.

Back2PA said:
No worries, no apologies necessary.

I learned how to adjust the large double rack and pinion slide on my last rig that involved a large special order crowfoot wrench to loosen a gland but, wrestling the slide around and retorquing the gland nut to 130#, and here I've got a handful of 3/8" nuts that just need to be loosened or tightened in the right order and I can't figure it out. Just frustrating but I'll get it (along with xrated and others' assistance).

Another reason I don't want to just pay someone is I have 4 of these slides and I need to learn how to do this myself.

Whoa....4 slides!!!!.....that equals 4 times the fun!  Well, the good news is that once you figure it out, the other three should be a piece of cake.....hows that for some encouragement!  ;D

xrated said:
Whoa....4 slides!!!!.....that equals 4 times the fun!  Well, the good news is that once you figure it out, the other three should be a piece of cake.....hows that for some encouragement!  ;D

Fortunately two are fine, one is a maybe but one definitely needs adjustment

xrated said:
2.  The other possibility that I can think of is that some of the trailers do NOT have rollers under the slide....yep, no rollers.  They are built to actually live up their their name "slides".  There is a long piece of material (hard plastic of some kind and I forget the name of the material), that the bottom of the slide actually "slides" on....no rollers, just sliding action. 

Here is the Youtube video.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGEWmeojN0&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Again thanks for all the tips. I didn't initially watch the video on the roller mod that you sent as I was certain it was an adjustment issue. Now that, with your assistance, I have a reasonable understanding of the adjustments, and after first getting it way out of adjustment  :-[ , I have the slide adjusted left/right, top bottom. Cables seem slack where they're supposed to be and tight where they're supposed to be. And it still chatters.

Previously I had stated I had rollers, which I do on the bedroom slide. I didn't bother looking at the others cause I assumed, yup, that hey, if one has rollers, they all have rollers. Wrong Bucko. I started looking for rollers on the other slides and found out the kitchen slide in question has the "wear bar" you described, no rollers. And this chattering is apparently a common problem with the wear bars (when I looked at the video, that slide was doing exactly what mine's doing, which I described as "chattering"). At this point I don't really know how far, if any, the slide was out of adjustment, so essentially this has just been a learning experience. One that, unfortunately, doesn't have resolution other than the roller mod in the video which I'm not thrilled about.

I have some spray Teflon dry lube, and also some silicon spray. I think I may try one then the other to see if either helps.

I guess I'm lucky there are even wheels on the trailer because undoubtedly some pencil pusher at Keystone probably thinks it would be perfectly OK for the trailer to just slide along on the frame, perhaps on a "wear bar". Sheesh :mad:

Scott, it was good talking to you on the phone this evening and hopefully, the other thing we discussed will help to eliminate some or all of the chattering.  Keep us posted and good luck.

Same here Vernan, enjoyed the chat. Thank you for passing along your knowledge and I'll post the results

xrated said:
hopefully, the other thing we discussed will help to eliminate some or all of the chattering.  Keep us posted and good luck.

As we discussed, I brought the top in by about an inch on both sides so that the top starts in about the same time as the bottom, maybe slightly before. I would say there was a very slight improvement but not much. Definitely have to think hard on adding the rollers this summer to at least the kitchen slide.

The best thing was standing up there, looking at all the nuts and knowing exactly which ones and in which order they needed to be turned to accomplish my goal. Thank you for that!  :)) :)

Back2PA said:
As we discussed, I brought the top in by about an inch on both sides so that the top starts in about the same time as the bottom, maybe slightly before. I would say there was a very slight improvement but not much. Definitely have to think hard on adding the rollers this summer to at least the kitchen slide.

The best thing was standing up there, looking at all the nuts and knowing exactly which ones and in which order they needed to be turned to accomplish my goal. Thank you for that!  :)) :)

Scott, I'm sorry to hear that didn't help.  Rollers may be your only salvation on this one.....unless you are feeling like maybe trying to adjust a little more to get the top coming in even more, before the bottom of the slide starts.  I'm just guessing here, but there is probably a point where you could go too far with the top movement before the bottom.....I just don't know where that point is.  Like I was telling you the other night on the phone, my top visible moved at least 1/2" to maybe 5/8" before the bottom started to move.

Back2PA said:

:))

>I guess I'm lucky there are even wheels on the trailer because undoubtedly some pencil pusher at Keystone probably thinks it would be perfectly OK for the trailer to just slide along on the frame, perhaps on a "wear bar". Sheesh
<
Ah, man! SO sorry for all the trouble this is putting you to. :-(

And sorry for all the extraneous garbage that various software packages inserted into the post above....

Frank B said:
And sorry for all the extraneous garbage that various software packages inserted into the post above....

Must be that "elegant" Linux you're using! LOL  ;D ;D ;)

Back2PA said:
Must be that "elegant" Linux you're using! LOL  ;D ;D ;)

Indirectly only. I posted from my Android phone which uses the Linux kernel.

Am I the only one here that has issues with random font sizes appearing in responses for no apparent reason?

by the way, I managed to edit out all of that extraneous material when I went back and modified it. Is interesting that none of that extraneous stuff appeared in the editor when I sent it, though I could see it when I did a preview. Strange.

Frank B said:
Am I the only one here that has issues with random font sizes appearing in responses for no apparent reason?

No. Mobile Safari is occasionally having that issue also which is being looked into

iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and ChromeOS - all Unix based OS's. The random font stuff does not happen with Windows?

Back
Top Bottom