Class A -- Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the specific rig, but in general probably so, for a gas class A. Most diesel class A's have air suspension, so would certainly be better. And like Tom, gas or diesel, I prefer to drive a class A -- better view, even (especially) while driving, more usable interior space for the length, more storage capacity. So much depends on your intended use, though.

But as Dan said, go test drive some of each, since your opinion is the one that really counts, for your use.

We've had three gas Class Cs and two Class A diesel pushers.  I've loved driving them all, but probably the As are best in our case because of the aforementioned air suspension.  Also diesel pushers are much more quiet because of the rear engine which is far enough away that the driver and passenger can talk.  The Class As, whether gas or diesel, also have good visibility because you sit higher and have a huge windshield with no overhang to block views.  But, as others have said, it depends on your needs, wants, how you'll be using it, and what you like.  The only way to find out is to test drive a variety.

ArdraF

I think most people prefer the cockpit layout and view of a class A, but a major factor in our recent decision to go with a C instead of the A ? not the TOP factor at all, but a major one ? was the fact that Class As do not have airbags and sure don?t have as much front-end mass (between you and the other vehicle) as a Class C. I believe my wife saw a comment somewhere here from a former EMT or fireman that he?d seen too many dead bodies pulled out of front-end Class A collisions to ever own one... Something to think about. We sure did.

In just shy of 40 years as a Firefighter/EMT, I can't recall ever responding to a crash involving a motorhome. Two fires (one each, Class A and Class C), but no accidents.

I'm sure that they happen, but statistically the odds must be pretty low.

On the other hand, sit in the driver's and passenger seats of a Class C and see if the legroom is sufficient for an extended trip.  The width between the engine doghouse and the wheelwell on the passenger side of the Ford van used in many Class C's is extremely limited because the engine and it's doghouse is shifted to the right to give the driver sufficient legroom.

A Class A's cockpit is wider and higher so it doesn't have this limitation.

You're getting some silly recommendations. Most Class A's are gasoline powered. That puts a heavy engine right at the front. The vehicle is high enough that even in a head on crash, it will ride up over the engine and front end of the other vehicle. Finally, you are a lot better off in a heavier vehicle in nearly any accident and, by and large, class A's are heavier.

There are differences between classes that may make one preferred, but, if anything, the class A is safer.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom