Trashed Battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark-M

Friends,

I've had my RV for almost a year.  At home, it is parked in our drive and has access to electric.  I have had the RV plugged in (just 15a circuit) for 95% of the time.  Yesterday I was having a problem with a radio in the RV (kept turning on/off on it's own) so yesterday I turn the battery cut off switch off.  Today I go out there and the battery was really low.  I have a cheap Innova Battery monitor and the Battery was reading at 9.5 - 9.8 volts.

Because of the low volts, is the battery trashed? (I have 2 12v batteries)

Link to the Innova Battery Monitor Here -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVWDU0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I turn the battery cut off switch off.
That disables the charging. If the voltage dropped that much that quickly, the batteries might not be in good shape, unless you have a lot of "phantom" load. Assuming the batteries don't need water added, and have been freshly charged, checking the specific gravity of the battery individual cells with a hydrometer will be the most accurate way of checking condition.

Are both batteries low? The same voltage? try charging them up with a good battery charger. You might get lucky. check the water level. Should not get low if plugged into shore power and the battery disconnect is on.

Checked water level, ok in both, all plates covered.

Tested with a hydrometer, one battery in the good (green) range 1.260, 2nd battery in the ?recharge? (red) range.

Connected to shore power for 4 hours with battery disconnect on (I know pretty short time) monitor says 9.8v.

Will leave it connected to shore power & see what it looks like in the am.

Temps in the 20?s tonight.

Thanks!

You can also get battery chargers with a desulfate feature. Sometimes batteries are too far gone to work, but I have taken some back from the grave to last another year or two.

I found a tripped breaker and now batteries are charging.  I guess the converter is behind the breaker.

Well... feeling a little stupid in that I should have checked the breakers first.  But now I've got to watch to see if that breaker trips again then I'll need to figure out what's causing it.  The RV is connected to a 30amp Circuit I had installed this fall.  I've got a Progressive Industries Surge protector at the plug in the garage

Thanks for all of your responses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom