7 pin connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

Hi guys.  After my little test run with the new truck, I found that the 7 pin connector from my 5th wheel to the truck sits very loose.  As a result, I keep losing power to the camper.  I keep getting the "Disconnected" message on the dash, and light errors.  I checked when I got home, and it definitely sits in there loose.  I used an in-bed plug in my previous truck, and never had the problem.  I imagine i will be putting one in this truck, but in the meantime, any suggestions to run down the exact issue?  I think I can zip tie it to the connector door, but that is obviously a bandaid, and not a fix.  The camper is 8 years old, if that makes any difference.  I will look again when I have another good weekend, but in the meantime, seeing if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks Bill.  That helps for general knowledge, but in this case, it's the fit of one plug into the other.  The camper plug just seems like it's too small.  It just sits very loosely in the truck plug.  It's very strange.

My cargo trailer has the same problem. However the TT does just fine.

I wrapped a zip tie onto CT and it seems to help. But your right it's a band aid

Edit...

I also noticed that you trailer is a Forest River and My Cargo Trailer was made by Forest River. It may be a problem with the plugs they are using. As I said the TT works just fine.

Can you bend the receiving plug springs to make a tighter fit?
you cant change the diameter of the pin, but you should be able to adjust the mating connector to tighten the fit.

Maybe take your truck with you to the Auto parts store and check the fit of a new male connector from the 5th wheel.

Most of the plugs that I have used also had a flip up metal locking flap on the female connector that locks the connector together.

Maybe you just have a mismatched size connector.

How about wrapping some Gorilla tape around the plug to increase its diameter? Start with one wrap, test fit, and repeat as necessary alternating the seams. Gorilla tape really stands up to the elements so it should last a long time.

Gizmo100 said:
My cargo trailer has the same problem. However the TT does just fine.

I wrapped a zip tie onto CT and it seems to help. But your right it's a band aid

Edit...

I also noticed that you trailer is a Forest River and My Cargo Trailer was made by Forest River. It may be a problem with the plugs they are using. As I said the TT works just fine.

Interesting.  I never had a problem with my other truck, but the plug I used was one I put in the bed myself.  It was actually kinda tight, but better that than loose.

Hanr3 said:
Can you bend the receiving plug springs to make a tighter fit?
you cant change the diameter of the pin, but you should be able to adjust the mating connector to tighten the fit.

It's not the pins.  It's the diameter of the plug and the receiver.  it just fits loose.  (I actually did try that by the way...no help.)

Joezeppy said:
How about wrapping some Gorilla tape around the plug to increase its diameter? Start with one wrap, test fit, and repeat as necessary alternating the seams. Gorilla tape really stands up to the elements so it should last a long time.

Well, here's another bandaid.  Good idea.  Though Gorilla tape might be a bit thick.  But I have lots of other tape to try.  Thanks.  Until I can figure out the real fix anyway.

You have several workable band aids suggested.  Your other answers indicate to me that one or the other plug need to be replaced.  As Bill said, take the truck to the auto parts store and test new trailer plugs for fit, or add the in bed plug sooner rather than later, making sure it mates well with the camper plug.

grashley said:
You have several workable band aids suggested.  Your other answers indicate to me that one or the other plug need to be replaced.  As Bill said, take the truck to the auto parts store and test new trailer plugs for fit, or add the in bed plug sooner rather than later, making sure it mates well with the camper plug.

This will probably be the case.  I have a camera on the way that I have to see what it needs.  I think it is going to require, or at least be much more convenient, to have the in-bed plug.  I put the one in my 2011, so I know I can do it on this one.  It just kills me to drill holes, especially the size of the one needed for this plug, in a brand new truck.

If I do need to go somewhere before then, thanks all for the great suggestions.  One way or the other, I will get the right fix eventually.

Knowing that your having problems ...I may be tempted to replace the plug on the cargo trailer...Unless the band aid holds ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom