Friend recommended this WD hitch...thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfloamy

A friend with a travel trailer recommended this for my new trailer.  Thoughts and opinions?
https://www.etrailer.com/search/eaz+lift+48058+elite+weight+distributing+hitch+kit

Asking which WDH to get is like asking what oil to use. This hitch uses a friction anti-sway device. Just my personal bias, but I don't like a WDH that you have to disconnect before backing up.

In addition, to getting advice from the experts on this forum, I'd suggest you call etrailer and ask for the staff's advice. I've found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

IBTripping said:
Asking which WDH to get is like asking what oil to use. This hitch uses a friction anti-sway device. Just my personal bias, but I don't like a WDH that you have to disconnect before backing up.

:))...X's 2

:)) ^^X3 . You would be better served with an Equal-I-Zer brand or Fastway E2.

kdbgoat said:
:)) ^^X3 . You would be better served with an Equal-I-Zer brand or Fastway E2.
X4 on above

One thing thing I like about my Reese, (or others) is the way the bars connect.  Some of the types with bars that loop down (as you pictured), can cause some clearance issues between the bars and the ground. 

kfloamy said:
A friend with a travel trailer recommended this for my new trailer.  Thoughts and opinions?

A hitch that you can't back up your trailer with???  No way.  A hitch set-up is not something I'd skimp on when towing.  There's a lot of stresses on the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle going down the road and on the sway bars - bumps, sways, dips, and turning, etc. 

X5 -- You would indeed be better served, IMO to invest in an Equalizer or its off-shore equivalent, a Fastway E2 (or Reese).  In researching hitches myself, I found that you get what you pay for, and it's one thing you really want to ensure is high quality and good reliability.

Linda

What I gather from this thread is that a WD hitch with sway control bars mounted to hard points on the trailer are better than those whose bars are suspended from chains.  Also, it would seem to me that hitches with WD bars suspended from chains can't really provide any anti-sway control.  Yes?

Drifterrider said:
What I gather from this thread is that a WD hitch with sway control bars mounted to hard points on the trailer are better than those whose bars are suspended from chains.  Also, it would seem to me that hitches with WD bars suspended from chains can't really provide any anti-sway control.  Yes?

I have a weight distribution system that uses bars suspended from chains  and I have never had a problem with sway in 14 years towing with it. I think it is very important to have at least 12-15% of TT weight on the hitch.

Lowell said:
I have a weight distribution system that uses bars suspended from chains  and I have never had a problem with sway in 14 years towing with it. I think it is very important to have at least 12-15% of TT weight on the hitch.

That doesn't really address the question.  Bars suspended from chains (not hard points) do not appear as if they could provide any sway control as the chains would not seem to stop lateral movement. 

Drifterrider said:
That doesn't really address the question.  Bars suspended from chains (not hard points) do not appear as if they could provide any sway control as the chains would not seem to stop lateral movement.

Correct.  My Reese is suspended with chains, and I have separate sway control, that if backing up with a tight turn, I remove the sway bar.  It works fine, but to do it again, I would shell out the extra for the Equalizer or a Fastway E2 .  I do like how my bars connect to the hitch better than having them hang down low as the original posters link.

Drifterrider said:

I guess I should of said:"You may not need a sway control device."  In my experience with this TT and my set up, I've never experienced sway.  When I bought the trailer, I asked about sway control and the dealer suggested that I probably wouldn't need it.  He suggested I try it first without which I did and he was correct that I did not.  Your set up may be different.

Before I bought the TT, I had a Coleman Plantation that was light enough that it didn't require a weight distribution system.  I did need a sway control bar on that trailer.  I tried it without sway control, and it nearly took my full size Bronco off the road.

Dreamsend said:
A hitch that you can't back up your trailer with???  No way.

I find that claim hard to believe.

Perhaps E-trailer is erring on the side of caution because this hitch includes an integral friction anti-sway bar.  Like any other "third arm" anti-sway bar, letting too sharp of an angle develop between the truck and the trailer can overextend or compress the bar, damaging it.  Most friction sway bars include a warning to remove or disable the bar before performing sharp maneuvers while backing up.  You can jacknife the trailer further while backing and achieve more of an angle than you'll ever get while driving forward.

But routine backing, where you don't sharply jacknife the truck and trailer should be fine.

We have a Blue Ox WD hitch that looks like what you want (including the chains).  It also claims that it is sway control.  All I can say is that we use it all the time and we have never experienced sway.  Backing up is not a problem either. 

Friction type sway-control is ancient technolog (model T era). Link at the Reese dual cam WD hitch! Automatic sway-control built in with cams that hold the TT in a straight line with the TV.

Yes, the dual cam is nice, but a real pain to set up correctly. I used to have one. There are others that will just as good a job at sway control, but easier set up. I'm not saying don't get a dual cam, but be aware of the set up. Loading the trailer for the correct amount tongue weight does more for sway control than any hitch. The hitch just helps when getting a wind blast or emergency maneuver.

kdbgoat:

>Yes, the dual cam is nice, but a real pain to set up correctly. I used to have one. There are others that will just as good a job at sway control, but easier set up. I'm not saying don't get a dual cam, but be aware of the set up.
<

How so?  The only adjustment on mine is which link of the chain to hook to.

I do agree that it is a dirty setup with multiple exposed grease points. I wear coveralls when hooking up, and use gloves now that I have wrecked 3 pair of beige pants. ?

No trying to sound snippy, but you have obviously not installed and set one up. There's a lot more to setting up a dual cam than adjusting chains. Rather than go through it all, a member here did a very good write-up on the dual cam. It's in the library:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/26-towing-and-towables/517-reese-dual-cam-setup

Lowell said:
I guess I should of said:"You may not need a sway control device."  In my experience with this TT and my set up, I've never experienced sway.  When I bought the trailer, I asked about sway control and the dealer suggested that I probably wouldn't need it.  He suggested I try it first without which I did and he was correct that I did not.  Your set up may be different.

Before I bought the TT, I had a Coleman Plantation that was light enough that it didn't require a weight distribution system.  I did need a sway control bar on that trailer.  I tried it without sway control, and it nearly took my full size Bronco off the road.

The trailers in the class I'm seeking come in at 10,000 lbs. laden.  I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. 

>No trying to sound snippy, but you have obviously not installed and set one up.
<

Aha! Misunderstanding on my part. No, I have never done a first time installation on one. I understood "hooking up and adjusting" after I had the hitch itself professionally installed. Hence, my question. ?

I'm not 100% sure on the brand I have.... I use the WDH and a friction sway bar
This photo is of the WDH attached to my old rig....

I think the proper WDH weight rating and trailer weight is what you should be concerned with ....
Research the pros and cons of each type, then take into account your budget and buy accordingly.

If you aren't handy, find a shop to install it as the installation is almost as important as the weight rating.

There are a lot of opinions on brand.

Attachments

• WDH - LEFT.png
    WDH - LEFT.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom