Chain saw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose it could happen that a tree would fall down right in front of us as we're traveling. It would come in useful then.  :eek: ??? ::) :-\  It may be a great idea. Thanks. Got me thinking about it. NOT!!!

I own our own site where we snow bird and I am thinking of getting a small electrical one just for some pruning on a large tree in our front yard

Jack L

To answer the OP's question, I never carry one. I do have a bow saw that I carry. Most campgrounds don't allow a chainsaw anyways. And I'm sure it would tickle your neighbors right to death ?

Bowsaw and chainsaw here, plus tow straps. I spend winters several miles down a forest road

I have a battery powered chainsaw. Along with the gas and electric one. The battery one is great for little stuff. Never thought about taking it in the motor home. Might be a good idea.

mapakids said:
Does anyone carry a chainsaw with them all the time?

Absolutely.

Wife, dogs and I routinely boondock in Wyoming national forest.  We?ve had to cut our way in and out more than once.  All it takes is a thunderstorm wind to drop a deadfall across the road  ;)

However, for the road trip, commercial campground, Walmart stops... no, leave it home.

We are boondocking on this trip and we have a sawzall and generator. And I have used to twice to cut down firewood.

Cut down firewood???  Have camped lots of places where you could pick up dead wood ~ never saw one where I could Cut it Down.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

OH ~~  NO chainsaw. 16" Bowsaw ~ CampAX & small 'cleaning' ax.

Since lithium batteries have became popular there is a lot of tools that have become easy to carry and much more reliable. I have a gas Stihl chainsaw but don't carry it in RV due to mess (some oil/gas leakage) and don't use as often so gas gets old and gums up, even with fuel treatment, or hard to start when cold but seriously thinking about replacing it with the new battery one. I think the battery one would be easier to carry. I camp in a lot of Corp of Engineers campgrounds. Can't really cut stuff down but some of the fell wood needs cut to fit campfire ring better.

maddog348 said:
Cut down firewood???  Have camped lots of places where you could pick up dead wood ~ never saw one where I could Cut it Down.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

OH ~~  NO chainsaw. 16" Bowsaw ~ CampAX & small 'cleaning' ax.

Let me rephrase that ...No we don't cut down tress...We cut down the length of some of the bigger pieces of wood we find while walking around.

No chain saw.  A bow saw, a back saw(and miter box), a machete, a couple of hand axes, and a sawzall, but no chain saw.

I carry a sawzall, 60 volt chain saw and a 60 volt blower. We volunteer for Texas Parks and Wildlife and I smoke a lot of meat for fellow hosts and get to gathers. We also host many camp fires. The sawzall is very versatile. The 60 volt chain saw cuts as good as any gas saw of the same size. I have been very impressed with it.

Attachments

• DSCN6427.JPG
    DSCN6427.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 32
falconhunter said:
The 60 volt chain saw cuts as good as any gas saw of the same size. I have been very impressed with it.

What brand is that, and under continuous cutting load about how long will the battery last?

It's a 60 volt Greenworks from Lowes. With 2 batteries I can get around 80 cuts of 6' to 8" live oak and the live ok is very hard. If I'm cutting BBQ wood I use vegetable oil in place of bar oil to alleviate any off taste from the wood. I'm very picky about my smoking wood.

Back
Top Bottom