Newer Chevy Colorado and Silverado Transmission Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reedhoppa

Hi all,
I'm researching my next tow vehicle. I'll be pulling a small travel trailer around 3,000# dry and 3,600# loaded ... just me and a dog for passengers. I was prepared to go out and purchase a 2-year-old Colorado V-6 rated at 7,000 pounds (also still considering the Silverado option). Yesterday I came across a string of messages on another forum talking about a class action lawsuit pertaining to newer GM vehicles that have an 8-speed automatic transmission. The problem relates to a transmission "shudder" or "clunk" and has something to do with the transmission fluid that GM used in model years 2016 and newer ... that and an issue with the torque converter. I don't know if this is worth getting worked up about or not. I'm also considering a Tacoma at 6,500# towing capacity for my lightweight set-up. Anyone have any knowledge of this issue and/or that can refer me to other discussions on the topic? Many thanks!!

I realize this may not be the right forum for this question. I?d be happy to hear from anyone who is towing with a 2016 or newer Colorado or half ton Silverado and what your experience has been. Cheers!

You are welcome to post a question like that here.  It is clearly related to the mission of the Forum!

I can not help with your specific question.  My comments are thanks for including LOADED camper wt, not just dry wt.  It really helps.  Any truck you mentioned is fully capable of handling a 3600# camper. 
Since it is just you and the dog, this may not apply, but food for thought:  The trucks under consideration will not pull a much larger TT.  If you have thought of upgrading past about 5000 lbs loaded wt, you may want to consider a ? ton with tow package.

I know nothing about the specific vehicle and transmission problems.

However, what many folks towing a load don't think about is manually downshifting when heading up hills or into a head wind.  Especially with an 8 speed transmission where the upper 3-4 speed may be overdrive which really loads the transmission if it doesn't downshift early enough.  Keep in mind the transmission is 8 speed for fuel economy, not load pulling, so they may be programmed to try to stay in a higher gear longer before downshifting.  Especially with cruise control.

If you feel the engine loading up press down a little on the accelerator to encourage a downshift.  If it easily upshifts again, then downshift manually. When going uphill plan on keeping your RPM's in the 3000-4500 range.  The steeper the hill the higher the RPM's, the slower the speed and the lower the gear.

I wouldn't exactly say that is super common however it is a known problem.  I have the same transmission 6L80E in late model Chevrolet Caprice with no issues.  I realize this is not the 8L90E you are talking about but if you look at the GM truck forums you will see people complaining of the 6 speed having the same problem as the 8 speed.  I know a lot of people with Colorados and especially Silverados that have not had the issue.  Even if you have the issue, it is typically fixed with a trans fluid change and or a torque converter change which is not that big of deal on a RWD vehicle.  I always like to remind people that when reading through forums you will find people talking about the problems they have with their vehicles because they are upset or just want some help trying to resolve the problem.  What you wont find is people making posts simply to say they enjoy their vehicle which has given them no problems.  A good thing to keep in perspective. 

Keep in mind depending on the year model the transmission will be covered under warrant for 5 years or 100,000 powertrain warranty (up to 2015 or 2016 I think) or 5 years/60,000 miles 2016 or 2017 up.  This applies to used vehicles also.

After conducting some research, I finally decided on the Toyota Tundra. I won?t be breaking records for my gas mileage but I feel confident in the reliability. I take delivery next week and will then start looking seriously at travel trailers!

Back
Top Bottom