Minimum used mileage to get the bugs out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slam308

When is used not used enough? 
I assume any used RV saves you the depreciation hit (correct me if I'm wrong), but how many miles is enough to figure that most of the bugs are worked out?  If there's a prior year model available used but it's only got 1000 miles, vs a prior year that has 3000 or 5000 or 8000, which is the best bet?  Obviously, I know it's not a clear cut answer, but what are your thoughts in general?

I've been searching on here alot over the past couple years even if I haven't been posting and I've been researching for years.  We're finally ready to make the leap sometime in the next 6 months. 
I've run the gamit from A to B to travel trailer and checked out every major manufacturer and their floorplans.  About a year ago I figured I had to find one limiting factor and settled on Winnebago.  They, and their reputation, have been a constant since I was a kid and, when I showed my husband one of their factory/manufactering YouTube videos, he really liked what he saw about their product.

We went and saw a local, used Vista 30T the other day and the floorplan is perfect for us.  I've found one year old models with anywhere between 1500-8000 miles, a three year with 25,000 miles and a 6 year old model with 9,000 miles.  It's such a wide range and I don't know how to factor that into the equation.
Again, I know all things are relative, but as far as these two factors of age and mileage are considered, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Here are my thoughts. Most RV's come with a one year warranty. If they were used during that year and there were issues, the owners likely took them in and had them fixed under warranty rather than ignore them and then either accept something didn't work or have to pay for it themselves.

So pretty much 99.5% of the trailers over a year old have been back to get major things fixed, if there were any. Depending on the owners handiness, most will take care of the little stuff themselves (Sticking doors that won't stay shut, loose screws or trim, etc. The 0.5% that don't take them back for repairs are very lucky and got a trailer without major issues or just lazy/IQ impaired for not taking it back under warranty if there was something major needed fixed.

None of the three examples you gave would scare me off from further investigating them. Talk to the owners and ask where they took their campers (Big trips across the country, Local short trips for 3 day weekends/Mix of both) and see if the milage makes sense based on their answers. Personally, all things equal, I would want a camper that was used more often than one that was used once or twice a year. Sitting for extended periods of time is never good for a vehicle. Most things in and engine need lubrication which they get when the engine is running. Besides that, seals dry out and can begin leaking.

Lastly, do a thorough inspection of the camper making sure everything works, checking the tires and dates on those along with the roof and all the appliances. Another tip is go look at it either early in the day or late in the afternoon/early evening. Delamination in walls seems to be easier to spot when the Sun is not directly overhead and you can look down the sides/ends of the trailer/camper/RV.

If you don't feel qualified to do the inspection, don't be afraid to pay the couple hundred to have it checked out at a dealership or by a professional inspector. Better to be out a couple hundred than to find out you have to drop a 1-5 grand on something you missed.

Hope my comments help. Happy hunting!

RV manufacturers are good at installing bugs while being built, many RV owners are good at adding to the bug inventory.  I don't subscribe to the "bugs worked out" theory after watching, listening and reading input from the RV owners.  It is best to thoroughly inspect, or have an inspection, of any proposed purchase.

Any RV manufacture's warranty is a waste of paper to me....

I would rather not have some 17 year old ex pizza delivery kid working on my RV. 

I'd much rather just fix it myself and know it was fixed to my standards...  :)

^^X2^^, that said, I do know a couple of really good mobile techs. Thankfully, I have generally got all the help I needed online, mostly here.

A friend and former co-worker of my husband's has been RV'ing his whole life and does all his own work on his (A) and his parent's (5th wheel) RV's and is a mechanic.  He's going to go over whatever motorhome we decide to set our sights on.  If we decide to go too far away, we'll definitely hire an inspector.

As I was looking through online sites, I found some 2018's with varying mileages and kind of got the feeling, that hasn't been used enough, wow, that's been used a lot and hmm, that's right in the middle.  I wasn't sure if there was anything to those thoughts.  If that makes sense.

CincyGus, you make a lot of sense.  It's more the time used as opposed to mileage, and how it was used.  The coach might only have 3000 miles, but they might have spent 6 months going cross-country and using it and all it's systems that whole time.

Also remember you wont see the depreciation on many used near new units.A private owner needs money to pay off loan,dealers often price used units as high as new ones.Know your price before you look at a unit

Getting the bugs out in general has more to do with how many days/nights the rv has been in use which is different than miles. A vehicle with 3,000 miles that has been lived in only 2 weeks would not have had sufficient owner experience to uncover the bugs. But a vehicle that's traveled that same distance that has been slept in and used for 6 weeks will probably have uncovered a lot more of the bugs. I'm only speaking from my own experience, having owned two campervans.

Our 2014 Sunstar had ~10,000 miles on it last September when we bought it. I'll throw out another caveat that has yet to be mentioned. The more miles/trips it has on it, the longer the previous owner had to do his or her own messing around with things. I don't think ours had any factory issues still outstanding, but the PO certainly did some things I had to straighten out.

The one big thing I would recommend it to check anything aftermarket installed on the exterior, especially the roof, for proper installation and sealing. Stuff like satellite antennas, solar panels, and broken vents that have been replaced, etc.

Having purchased a "very gently used" motorhome, I know how you are thinking. Our 2016 Thor Quantum ws31 only had 1400 miles on it! The original owners had only owned it 10 months before finding out the wife needed to go on kidney dialysis. They had purchased "ALL" the extra's they sales people threw at them! Fortunately, they were all transferable to us for a minimal fee. As an example, we made a claim with the company that guaranteed The stuff they sprayed on the interior. They paid us $600 for the vinyl chaffing on the captain's chairs. Also, Good Sam's paid for having the slide motors replaced a year after purchase ($1000+). So, keep in mind "the extra service plans" that may come along with the unit you check out! It has been a real plus for us .  Happy hunting! 

99Dart,
That's exactly what I'm referring to. 
If it's a used 2018, 1000 miles doesn't seem like enough.  It almost seems like a race to use it enough before that one year warranty runs out so I can figure out what needs to be fixed on the manufacturer's dime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom