Gulf Shores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

We are heading to Gulf Shores State Park the 1st week of April and I would like to fish for the first time in the ocean, most likely off the pier or the beach. Anyone that could recommend what kind of lures or bait I should use? I really don't know what will be in season yet, hopefully red snapper for the wife, her favorite.,flounder would be good too or, any tasty ocean species

Look up Yak Motley on YouTube.  He fishes the greater Pensacola area and has great fishing videos for the area.  You may be able to get Red Fish, King Mackerel, Jack's, etc.

Stop in at a local bait and tackle shop. If they're anything like the ones around here, they will give you pretty good information. The bad thing about fish- the hot bait that was catching fish yesterday ain't gonna get a glance today.

Sounds like a cool trip to me. Even as much sal****er fishing that I do, and have done Ore. to PV Mexico, I would still jump on a local charter for the first time exploring new waters and species. Your paying for the guides knowledge, tackle type, presentation of bait and lures, even local spots for that species. That's all good stuff for you to use on your own after that. We even used a 1/2 day charter for Lake Tahoe a few years ago. Had a great day of catching with the guide. Now when I go to Tahoe, I have the right gear for those fish, know where and what structure to look for. Totally worth it,,,gregg

Broke Boater said:
Sounds like a cool trip to me. Even as much sal****er fishing that I do, and have done Ore. to PV Mexico, I would still jump on a local charter for the first time exploring new waters and species. Your paying for the guides knowledge, tackle type, presentation of bait and lures, even local spots for that species. That's all good stuff for you to use on your own after that. We even used a 1/2 day charter for Lake Tahoe a few years ago. Had a great day of catching with the guide. Now when I go to Tahoe, I have the right gear for those fish, know where and what structure to look for. Totally worth it,,,gregg
Yea, I hope the trip is uneventful as far as the old motorhome,we are really looking forward to it other than the 950 mile trip there. If we really like it, it might be a yearly thing. I ordered a Penn 5000 reel last night, the pier net and some 30lb braided line and now, have to figure what size swivels, leaders and lures plus, learn all over again how to tie knots. I'd like to get everything I need up here for fishing there per Amazon due to cost

Sounds like it's been a while since you fished. A good guide will show you everything you want to learn, plus he/she will increase your odds of catching fish. They call it fishing and not catching for a reason. If a guide is out of the question, fishermen have been using youtube for everything fishing related. I would also recommend you search out a fishing web-forum similar to this one, but for fishing. Then on-site, your locals are a great resource, including the bait/tackle store.

My favorite tactic at the ramp is to ask the guys coming off the water a series of questions. I don't care what species they were fishing for, or where they were on the body of water. I know my species and it's preferred habitat. I'll ask and let them brag about their catches, or stories of defeat. We all want to share our stories. If you listen, you can pick up tidbits of information in the stories. 
For me to find fish, I need to know some basic info.
Water temp on the main body of water and bays/coves- combined with season of the year tells me fish depth.
Weather- there may be micro climates in the area. Generally its best to watch the weather for at least 4-5 days prior. The wind will push the bait fish. Local temps will bring the fish up, or push them down depends on the season.
Which side of the body of water did they have better luck- this tells me roughly where the bait fish are located. All fish follow their food source.
Water clarity- combined with sunshine/cloud cover tells me a type of bait to start with and a general idea of color (dark/light). If the water is really stained/muddy then noise makers may be the ticket.
I don't fish the oceans, so there maybe other factors you need to know. For example; current conditions, predators in the area, High/Low tide, breaks, submerged reefs/holes/rock/rubble/etc. and there maybe others.

As for gear, Amazon isn't always the low cost provider. Right now every tackle store/dealer are having pre-fishing sales. As winter turns into spring the sales will change to match the species next in-line. Around here we start will Walleye, then Crappie, then move into Bass. The sales also move from the South to the North, similar to spawn season. Actually the sales are designed to bring in the fishermen that are gearing up for the season, and have the sales prior to the spawn.

You have a ton of research to do and don't expect to catch anything the first time out. I fish Crappie tournaments and we have had teams without a single fish at the scale. Some of the guys I fish against fish national tournaments. Even the pros have off days. I highly recommend a guide, however I understand there may be factors that don't make that possible.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Hanr3 said:
Sounds like it's been a while since you fished. A good guide will show you everything you want to learn, plus he/she will increase your odds of catching fish. They call it fishing and not catching for a reason. If a guide is out of the question, fishermen have been using youtube for everything fishing related. I would also recommend you search out a fishing web-forum similar to this one, but for fishing. Then on-site, your locals are a great resource, including the bait/tackle store.

My favorite tactic at the ramp is to ask the guys coming off the water a series of questions. I don't care what species they were fishing for, or where they were on the body of water. I know my species and it's preferred habitat. I'll ask and let them brag about their catches, or stories of defeat. We all want to share our stories. If you listen, you can pick up tidbits of information in the stories. 
For me to find fish, I need to know some basic info.
Water temp on the main body of water and bays/coves- combined with season of the year tells me fish depth.
Weather- there may be micro climates in the area. Generally its best to watch the weather for at least 4-5 days prior. The wind will push the bait fish. Local temps will bring the fish up, or push them down depends on the season.
Which side of the body of water did they have better luck- this tells me roughly where the bait fish are located. All fish follow their food source.
Water clarity- combined with sunshine/cloud cover tells me a type of bait to start with and a general idea of color (dark/light). If the water is really stained/muddy then noise makers may be the ticket.
I don't fish the oceans, so there maybe other factors you need to know. For example; current conditions, predators in the area, High/Low tide, breaks, submerged reefs/holes/rock/rubble/etc. and there maybe others.

As for gear, Amazon isn't always the low cost provider. Right now every tackle store/dealer are having pre-fishing sales. As winter turns into spring the sales will change to match the species next in-line. Around here we start will Walleye, then Crappie, then move into Bass. The sales also move from the South to the North, similar to spawn season. Actually the sales are designed to bring in the fishermen that are gearing up for the season, and have the sales prior to the spawn.

You have a ton of research to do and don't expect to catch anything the first time out. I fish Crappie tournaments and we have had teams without a single fish at the scale. Some of the guys I fish against fish national tournaments. Even the pros have off days. I highly recommend a guide, however I understand there may be factors that don't make that possible.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks for the information, I have been watching plenty of videos on youtube. I'll see if it will help, one thing I do is ask plenty of questions, maybe too many. As for a guide there will be none unless it someone fishing off the pier down there which there might be. The only fishing I have done lately is at the rec club we belonged to, it has 6 or 7 lakes with all kinds of fish at each lake. My grandchildren were the primary reason for joining for the enjoyment of fishing and camping out there but, the lots have become tighter and the daily rates went up so, we made the decision not to renew our membership this year. I don't like being that close to a neighbor, that's why we live in the country with some acreage. As far as expecting not to catch anything the first time out, no one knows until the day is over, I just might. If I don't catch anything all week, we will be running to the one of many fish markets down there and bring home some good ocean fish, that's for sure. Haha

Back
Top Bottom