mapquest horrible now.. any other suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

hi all, I used to use Mapquest, but *&*&*(HJIY^^%T& the ads now! Are well you know..

Any other freebees out there that you use for looking up routes?? Getting ready to get out of this frozen tundra! and head South!

thanks,

The Montana crew!

I use google maps, but don't like how it will route you down a narrow highway with no shoulders just to save a couple of minutes.  So I end up scouting out potential parallel routes with the street view feature to compare quality of the roads.

Isaac-1 said:
I use google maps, but don't like how it will route you down a narrow highway with no shoulders just to save a couple of minutes.  So I end up scouting out potential parallel routes with the street view feature to compare quality of the roads.

:)) :))

Isaac-1 said:
This -  :):))  Plus, you can zoom in on satellite view to check out gas stops and other potential stops, for access room for the rig.  Like said, the routing is not always the best.  I also use my Garmin 770 for truck routing, has kept us away from low overheads, a few times.  We also have a recent trucker's atlas for reference.

Just a suggestion, if you like Mapquest (I do too), then you might consider installing an AdBlocker software on your computer or whatever you use for mapping.  Mine is built into the Chrome Web browser.  I just now clicked on Mapquest and the AdBlocker stopped 12 Ads from showing......and M.Q. is very usable when all the ads are blocked.  I just used it last night to route an upcoming from from the Knoxville, TN area to Southaven, MS.  Once it was routed, as you know, it's very easy to drag the route around and bypass certain roads, etc.  I'm going south around Nashville, so just drag and move and then it recalculates and shows you the new time and distance.  Like I said, install an AdBlocker and it becomes a very useful tool again.

Google maps and Waze here also. A good RV GPS with paper map backup is the way to go in my opinion.

cadee2c said:
Google maps is good. Waze is good too.

:)) :)) me too.  Waze can be a bit crazy at times  ;)

I like using Google maps specifically on my computer.  It allows you to manually change the map plan (say you specifically don't want to take a certain route, you can drag / alter the plan.  I WISH that the iPhone app version allowed this over-ride. 

On our Android tablets, we've used Offline Maps and Navigation from the Google Play store. As the name implies, you can download maps by state and then don't need an internet connection to use it. On the computer, we still use Street Atlas 2014.

Not used but you might try these instead of Google?

http://maps.randmcnally.com/

https://www.bing.com/maps

or

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/

I used to use Mapquest until it changed.  Now I use Google Maps, my Garmin RV660 and RV Parky.  Since we use our RV for travel rather than camping Google Maps works great and you can click and drag a route suit your needs if necessary.

Just a suggestion, if you like Mapquest (I do too), then you might consider installing an AdBlocker software on your computer or whatever you use for mapping.  Mine is built into the Chrome Web browser.  I just now clicked on Mapquest and the AdBlocker stopped 12 Ads from showing......and M.Q. is very usable when all the ads are blocked.  I just used it last night to route an upcoming from from the Knoxville, TN area to Southaven, MS.  Once it was routed, as you know, it's very easy to drag the route around and bypass certain roads, etc.  I'm going south around Nashville, so just drag and move and then it recalculates and shows you the new time and distance.  Like I said, install an AdBlocker and it becomes a very useful tool again.

thanks everyone I  will try these... I did do the ad blocker tonight and wow... it is amazing!!! Thanks! as always, need a answer to something ask the forum!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom