Cutting thick rubber stall mats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geo19ihq

Tractor Supply has 4'x6'x3/4" rubber stall mats that people cut up and use as leveling blocks. HOW DO YOU CUT THEM? I have tried utility knifes and a jig saw, slow going would take weeks. What tool will easily cut them?

Attachments

• DSC02873.JPG
    DSC02873.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 126
My 1st choice I'd try is a small skill saw. One of the battery operated one's. Cut it with the bottom side up so any burrs would end up being on the bottom and not the top. Also cut it slow so it doesn't have the chance to melt the rubber.

My 2nd choice would be a utility knife and just change the blade often

Take them to a sheet metal/fabrication shop. They should be able to shear them for you.

Looks like a fun project.... one of those..."Well it seemed like a good idea at the start." 

We've been landscaping our backyard with old tires we've painted. My wife decided she wanted some tires cut in half. 

Guess what....there aren't any out there cut in half.  Those babies are TOUGH and the steel bands are impossible.

Use a straight edge as a guide, something like a four-foot level. Score one side with a utility knife, then flip the mat over and complete the cut from the back side.

Try sandwiching the mats between 2 boards and using your circular saw. I don't know if this works or not.

Having working in Asphalt plants most of my working life cutting/repairing conveyor belts and we also have horses, so we have those several of mats around here too.There is a way to cut rubber, be it conveyor belt or the stall mats. Use a new utility blade, use a thin straight edge, something like a square or a 1/8" flat bar aluminum from home depot. You want it thin to keep the knife 90 deg. to the mat. Something thicker like a board or level pushes the knife blade at a angle because of the thickness of the handle and rides against the edge instead of the blade. Since you want small squares, start with making long strips first.  With the straight edge on your mark and holding it firmly down make a couple cuts, always in the same cut with some pressure, don't try and go all the way thru. Now that you have a couple cuts started, take a 2x4 and slide it under the cut off to the side a inch or so. This will open up the cut. You can cut the rest free hand if you think your steady enough or just keep using your straight edge. Don't pull towards your body, stay off to the side of your knife, think stored energy if your knife should slip out from the cut as you pull. It's not hard or a one cut and done either. Just get those first cuts started to open the cut and you'll have a much easier time,,,gregg

When I raced short-track motorcycles many years ago, we would often recut the tread on our tires...to provide a nice sharp edge on the tread, to help keep a tire at maximum traction. With your razor knife and a cup of gasoline, the job was pretty effortless. Merely dipping the razor blade in the gasoline, minimized the drag as you cut through the rubber.

I used a circular saw on my stall matts. Worked pretty good.

If you are trying a knife, wet the rubber first. It will cut better.

Stall mats are made from rubber tires so they will compress.

Attachments

• Stall mat1.jpg
    Stall mat1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Stall mat2.jpg
    Stall mat2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 101
Memtb said:
  When I raced short-track motorcycles many years ago, we would often recut the tread on our tires...to provide a nice sharp edge on the tread, to help keep a tire at maximum traction. With your razor knife and a cup of gasoline, the job was pretty effortless. Merely dipping the razor blade in the gasoline, minimized the drag as you cut through the rubber.
Wouldn't diesel fuel be better?

Geo19ihq said:
Stall mats are made from rubber tires so they will compress.

X2. I would only put rubber under stabilizing jacks or tires if there was nothing else available. Treated wood will last a long time and your RV won't rock like a boat on the ocean.

I used them under an aquarium sump and cut them with my general purpose shears (think large heavy duty scissors). The razor knife just seemed to skip across them.

darsben,  Not really sure......probably would. It the ‘70’s diesel fuel was pretty rare at the race track.....gasoline was readily available!  memtb

A Visitor stayed O/nite on our drive  used a few chunks of 'stall mat' for leveling ~~ left at daylight next AM.  Forgot one of the mats. Just went out and looked at it ~ see no blade or saw marks.  Looks like it was held tight on one side and broken off  ~ not even scored.

I use 2x12 myself

JM2?  ~~  YMMV.

Geo19ihq said:
Tractor Supply has 4'x6'x3/4" rubber stall mats that people cut up and use as leveling blocks. HOW DO YOU CUT THEM? I have tried utility knifes and a jig saw, slow going would take weeks. What tool will easily cut them?

A utility knife is all you need, but it takes numerous passes. See this video, which is what I followed when I cut my stall mats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2nFUeD6nA

The trick is getting gravity on your side and repeatedly scoring/cutting along the same line to slowly work through the rubber. The mats I bought were smooth and did not have the grooves (as the mat does in the video), so getting the "cut line" started is the most difficult part.

I agree that all you need is a utility knife. But you have to put a 1x2 under the mat where you want to cut. It keeps the cut open so you can cut down thru the mat in several passes.

Geo19ihq said:

Geo19ihq
I used a table saw.

Back
Top Bottom