Replacing steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimdamedic

We have a Keystone Cougar Xlite 5th wheel and I want to replace the steps to the camper. Currently, it has the steps that fold down from underneath the door. Is it possible to replace this type of step with the so,I?d unit that folds down from inside the camper. Does that even work?  I?m looking at the Lipper SolidStep

Total retro.  Read the instructions looks easy to do.

I just replaced ours.  I talked to the Moride rep at the Tampa Rv show and he gave me a little brochure that had the critical measurements needed to accept their version of the steps. When we got back home and checked, our unit didn?t meet those specs. I found the Lippert steps at ETrailer (cheaper than the Moride) and called them to ask about clearance issues. The lady I talked with called Lippert, then called me back to say they would fit so I went ahead and ordered them. They are a simple instal, but I did run into a couple of issues probably specific to our trailer. When they are installed and in the UP position for travel, the stops on either side of the steps rest against the door flange and the clearance was so tight that the screen door had to be forced closed as the hinge side butted against the stop. I ended up cutting out the section of the flange that the stops contacted, then using some 1/8? flat aluminum stock, made sort of a ?bridge? that went over the cut out portion, and moved the contact area for the stops about 1/8? further into the trailer. That provided enough clearance with the steps up, for the door(s) to close without binding. It sounds complicated when I describe it here, but it makes sense in practice. All that being said, they make a huge difference, and other than that issue, was a simple installation. If not for that problem, I?d have had them installed by myself in around 45 min.

From the comments I've read, these steps are VERY stable because the end sits on the ground.  A bit less stable if parked on un level ground and both legs are not on solid ground, but still far more stable than what you have now.  They are simple to install and simple to deploy.

The negatives are if you are parked VERY close to someone, such as when in storage, there may not be room to deploy the steps.  Note the multiple disclaimers.  The other issue is dumping dirt from the steps into the camper when you fold them in.

There is another option you might want to consider. The Torklift Glow Steps. They do fold up like your current steps but they extend all the way to the ground and are very stable. The rise is also not as big as on the manufacture steps. We love them and get lots of compliments on them from other people. No worries about deploying them if close to other objects or getting dirt inside the RV. Also sits well on unlevel ground as it has 2 separate feet on each side giving a little more flexibility. We got ours from etrailer.

Vicki

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA8004.html

I just installed the Lippert Solidstep a couple of days ago. My FW is pretty high so it called for the 4 step version. It was a simple installation. My wife loves it. The large first step makes it very stable to step into the cabin. Got a great price and free shipping from Amazon. The only problem I had was the strut that holds the door open was in the way so I'm going to have to find a new location for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom