Catch And Release Vrs Catch And Keep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this catch and release ?
My wife and I were standing in the crystal clear waters of our secret natural salt water jacuzzi hidden in the middle of a Florida Keys mangrove island and were feeding the tropical fish that surrounded us. We were using bits of bread crusts from our sandwiches and holding them in our open palms just below the water surface. I was absolutely amazed when a beautiful seven inch long Gray Snapper ignored the crumbs and tried for my gold wedding band. It had a lip which was very soft on each side of it, and I never felt any teeth.
Maybe they should start making gold colored fishing hooks for you fisherman !
Jack L

JackL said:
Is this catch and release ?
My wife and I were standing in the crystal clear waters of our secret natural salt water jacuzzi hidden in the middle of a Florida Keys mangrove island and were feeding the tropical fish that surrounded us. We were using bits of bread crusts from our sandwiches and holding them in our open palms just below the water surface. I was absolutely amazed when a beautiful seven inch long Gray Snapper ignored the crumbs and tried for my gold wedding band. It had a lip which was very soft on each side of it, and I never felt any teeth.
Maybe they should start making gold colored fishing hooks for you fisherman !
Jack L

Thats all we need, high maintenance fish! LMAO

Broke Boater said:
I have a good recipe for Carp,,,,,,,,,
Salt the fish and pack red clay around the fish
cook on a hot open fire for 3hrs
break the clay apart and remove the fish
throw the fish away and eat the clay
your welcome,,,gregg

to each his own. I don't eat dirt myself but I know there are people so poor that it would be an attractive meal for them.

Broke Boater said:
I have a good recipe for Carp,,,,,,,,,
Salt the fish and pack red clay around the fish
cook on a hot open fire for 3hrs
break the clay apart and remove the fish
throw the fish away and eat the clay
your welcome,,,gregg
;D

djw2112 said:
Just wanted to see how many of you release and how many of you keep all legal catches.

I really enjoy fishing-- watching people fish that is. Been years since I've fished myself as it was always the "catch" part of catch & release that I never was very good at. Tried to rationalize my approach as "pre-release" but my fisherperson friends didn't buy it.

jymbee said:
I really enjoy fishing-- watching people fish that is. Been years since I've fished myself as it was always the "catch" part of catch & release that I never was very good at. Tried to rationalize my approach as "pre-release" but my fisherperson friends didn't buy it.

I fish like I play golf; not very well. I usually don?t call it golf or fishing, I call them both ?Oh Crap?. I tell my wife i?m Going to go Oh Crap she realizes it?s either golf or fishing only by what gear I load in the car.

I use a small pliers to bend the barb of the hook down toward the shaft of the hook, thereby making it 'barbless'.  This lets me release the fish without tearing it up... unless it actually swallowed the whole thing.

Oldgator73 said:
I fish like I play golf; not very well. I usually don?t call it golf or fishing, I call them both ?Oh Crap?. I tell my wife i?m Going to go Oh Crap she realizes it?s either golf or fishing only by what gear I load in the car.

I can relate. Years ago were someone to happen upon me near a lake which you had to shoot over on a local golf course, they would have a hard time deciding whether I was fishing or golfing-- if you know what I mean...

djw2112 said:
I was also curious if someone catches a fish that is too small but the fish is damanged and will die, do you keep them or release them anyway?  ...
In Cali you must release all undersized or illegal fish even if it is obvious they will die.  I would guess most states are similar.

Oldgator73 said:

LOL so what do you call it when you have to stink up the RV?  OH JOY lol

In my younger days my mission was to be a golf pro, not a tour pro - the kind on tour, but the kind in the clubhouse.  I was good and held my own on rules and playing the game honorably and correctly. However as much as i wanted it, there was a born talent that i did not have and so i was not able to achieve the score required, i was close but close does not cut it.  However i did teach golf privately for a while and did quite well at that, but other things called to me in life.

djw2112 said:
LOL so what do you call it when you have to stink up the RV?  OH JOY lol

In my younger days my mission was to be a golf pro, not a tour pro - the kind on tour, but the kind in the clubhouse.  I was good and held my own on rules and playing the game honorably and correctly. However as much as i wanted it, there was a born talent that i did not have and so i was not able to achieve the score required, i was close but close does not cut it.

When I stink up the RV I call it RELIEF.  There are only two actions that close cuts it; grenades and horseshoes (there?s actually more but that?s how the saying goes).

If you fish with bait look into circle hooks if you want to release fish. Or, as several folks said, flatten the barb, and/or cut one or two hooks off the treble hooks, flatten the barb on the other one. Fish have it all, local, renewable, sustainable, etc etc etc.  You can eat seafood or pond food.

( Can you tell I was a commercial fisherman? )

this is one of those questions I have struggled with in the past... badly or fatally injuring a fish that I'm not going to eat.

and the other thing.... if I cut the line leaving the hook to "rust out", what happens to the bigger fish that ends up eating the now injured fish with a hook in it?...

We don?t fish as much as we should, as we both love to eat fish. So, for us, ?a legal fish hooked....is a legal fish cooked?!    ;D

Love to fish Hate the taste of fresh water fish.

I find someone who wants to eat them then catch put directly on ice and give them away, if no one wants them I catch and release, but never touch the body of the fish.

For those worried about killing the fish, don't. Other fish need to eat too. Toss it back. Something will eat it. Bigger fish, turtles, birds, snakes, etc. When cruising from spot to spot the birds will follow me. They are fishing in my wake. If my boat/motor hits/kills a fish they birds will swoop down and pluck it up for dinner. Seen it happen hundreds of times. A little fishing trick, watch the birds. They have an advantage being above the water and can see the bait/fish swimming below the surface. The birds will hang out where the food is. If you see them following boats, there are fish in the area. When they break off from the boat, there are no more fish in the area.

Back
Top Bottom