Mail Box Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I finally got my welcome packet for the property i purchased and that means i can now start developing the lot.  So the first thing i did was put up my mail box.  The post office (2 dif people at my new post office) told me to put it past my driveway, 42-46 inches from ground to bottom of mailbox and as close to the road as possible.  So that is what i did. 

My neighbor came by to say hello and introduce himself (good guy) and was very polite and said that i should have put my mailbox on the other side of the road.  It was then that i noticed all the other mailboxes over there.  This is my first time owning property and i did notice that there were no other mail boxes on my side of the street but i just thought they were getting their mail in a box on their house rather than the street.

The thing is i dont want to move my mailbox, i like it right where it is.  If i have to move it ill have to bust it all part and redo the whole thing.  This is the first day of mail since i put it up and i dont know if ill get a note from the carrier or not.  I even checked with the community office and they agreed with me that i put it in the right place.  They also agreed that the mail carrier could just get out of their vehicle and walk 10ft and put my mail in my box, this is not a busy road, it is a private road in a private communty with little traffic.

This is kind of a delema, if i make the carrier mad who's to say that some of my mail wont misteriously get lost, but i also want to stand up for what i feel is right. 

Anyone deal with this before, can the post office force me to move it or refuse my mail delivery if i dont?

I'm surprised that you had a choice on which side of the road to put the box.  I live in a rural area and all boxes are on one side for the convenience of the carrier.  My box is next to my driveway, but I would love to have it on the other side of the road so that the muddy ruts wouldn't be my problem.  Yes, when packages are delivered, the mailman pulls partially in the yard rather then the end of the driveway.  :mad:

For us, they are all on one side as well. It would take too much time to complete the route and it would be unsafe for the mail carrier to walk across the road (no matter what kind of road you live on) if they were on both sides.

maddog348 said:
You want to fight the PostOffice ??

Well not quite fight but maybe a serious discussion  :)    I gotta get something for my .55 cents in postage  ;D

I will check my mailbox tomorrow and see if there is a dirty note in there for me. 

I guess maybe i could consider this a new owner learning experience to pay attention to things i dont normally look for. 

The 2nd option you'll get is to pick your mail up at the post office.

The problem is when the Rural Route driver goes down the road delivering mail.. He's on the other side. So your mail box being on the wrong side he either has to turn around.. Or it is simply never goning to be noticed.  I'd move it.

By the way.. Do you know where the first RR (rural Rout) post office was built?

Climax. MI.. and today it is the town library.

A new neighbor near our daughter a couple of years ago put his mailbox on the opposite side of the road from the others, and the route carrier just ignored it on his one way pass or never saw it. After a few days, the fellow moved it to the other side and started getting his deliveries.

Arch Hoagland said:
You don't have to move it.

Just leave it there as a decoration for Christmas, etc and put in another one across the street.

Ha, Ha, Ha - Best idea yet on this thread.  ;D ;D ;D

I had a mailbox next to my driveway...had is the operative word.  I ran over it backing my travel trailer in one day....put the new one several feet away from the driveway.

After I ran over the mailbox I backed into the rain gutter on the garage.  It was a fun day to say the least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom