I'm back from the dead. Literally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
HI all and many thanks for the kind thoughts and get-well gifts.
I finally got out of the hospital on 2/24 (after 17 days!) and came home, though there is still a lot of recovery to do. I'm mobile, though, with little discomfort. Going to be on restricted physical regime for several weeks, though.

I didn't mention this ahead of time because the plan was for a basic outpatient procedure, heart catheterization (angioplasty or maybe a stent). Too long a story to tell in much detail, but the heart arteries were badly clogged and the planned procedure was no-go.  The on-call surgeon was going to take over to do bypass when I died.  Code Blue, flat line, whatever you want to call it.  The surgeon dove in with both hand to manually pump my heart and prevent brain death.  The surgeon  Kept me going for 8 minutes by hand, the sort of drama usually only seen on tv.  I remember the cardiologist asking me to make responses  to show my brain was still ok.  They installed a pump in my femoral artery so the surgeon could do the bypasses, but that blew out and I ended up getting my entire blood supply replaced twice before they got it under control. Ended up with double bypass and a repaired left ventricle. I woke up in Cardiac ICU 3 days later with no idea what had happened except the memory of my cardiologist telling me to give him a sign I was still functional. 

SO I'm a supremely lucky man!  Plus I now have a second birthday on Feb 7, 2019, celebrating my return to the living!  My recovery has been unusually fast and trouble-free except for some water accumulating in my lungs. That actually is causing more medical problems than the heart surgery.
I'll be hanging around the forum but probably not too active for awhile.

Wow  you are a lucky man...just wasn't your time to go. Plus you got really lucky to share my birthday too.

Those born on February 7 are destined for a long life....I hope! 

I assume they glued your chest back together like they did on mine four years ago. Amazing what they can do for you nowadays.

Wow !
SOMEONE was looking out for you !

I'm glad you made it through as well as you did.
Now get those lungs cleared up so you can get out and tackle the world again

Jack L

Welcome back and stay around ....
It's nice to see you back and this forum isn't the same without your generous smart advice...prayers worked this time around.

Gary, I just turned on my computer and yours was the first topic I saw in my unread messages.  I can't even begin to tell you how glad we are to have you back!  You truly were missed.  You had quite an ordeal but, as Mother would have said, it wasn't your time.  Thank goodness you had a good surgeon who knew what to do!  Now you behave yourself, take it slow, get those lungs back to normal, and obey Nurse Nancy!  Hugs!!!

Ardra and Jerry

Welcome back Wiz! :)) I'm happy for you that there the right folks in place through your ordeal. God is good! We'll keep the prayers going out for you and your family.

Oh Gary, you have been through a real ordeal as no doubt have your family.  My heart goes out to you and I am so so glad you had such a good doctor and are on your way to a good recovery.  Take care and do what you are told, which I am sure will be unusual for you...    ;)

Sounds like you have had plenty of excitement! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Keep following the doctor?s orders for recovery and rehab.

So great to hear your story, and even greater you got to tell it  :)
The man upstairs isn't ready for you to end your adventure on this earth  ;)

Welcome back, you have been missed.  :))

Glad to have you back Gary, in more ways than one.

Back
Top Bottom