I'm back from the dead. Literally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah, I expect to feel those wires for a long time to come. They don't hurt any more, but I know where they are!

Any chance you could use those wires for better TV reception.....Maybe add a signal booster ;D

Gizmo100 said:
Any chance you could use those wires for better TV reception.....Maybe add a signal booster ;D
I bet you are going to have a hard time convincing Gary to stand on the roof for better reception, especially in the rain.
Bill

BinaryBob said:
Glad to hear your recovery is progressing well.
As to the wires.? no more airport security for you!

I had quadruple bypass surgery and several months later had to fly cross country. It seems that the chest wires don't trigger the alarm in security. Don't know why.

This discussion of wires poking is interesting because I have one tiny spot on my chest that hurts if you touch it and it's been four years since my surgery.

Could that be a wire some of you have mentioned?

For your information, years ago a glue was approved for gluing the bones back together in the bypass surgery, my brother had it done and thought it was wonderful.  Later the FDA removed the approval and while most surgeons had not changed, those that had had to go back to the wire.  My bypass used wires and I would vote for the glue.  I believe it has now been approved again but none of the surgeons want to change.  It is too bad as it is a much better way of putting you back together.  I had it used for some of my foot surgeries and had no problems as opposed to the problems I've had with screws or wires.
We used the same glue in aerospace vehicles with no problems  so don't know what the problem is with the Drs.

Jim Godward said:
For your information, years ago a glue was approved for gluing the bones back together in the bypass surgery, my brother had it done and thought it was wonderful.  Later the FDA removed the approval and while most surgeons had not changed, those that had had to go back to the wire.  My bypass used wires and I would vote for the glue.  I believe it has now been approved again but none of the surgeons want to change.  It is too bad as it is a much better way of putting you back together.  I had it used for some of my foot surgeries and had no problems as opposed to the problems I've had with screws or wires.
We used the same glue in aerospace vehicles with no problems  so don't know what the problem is with the Drs.

They used glue on my exterior chest but wired the bones. They showed me an Xray of my wires.

Mine show up on my annual xray, that how I know they laced them straight across. It has now (7 or 8 years) been shown that a criss crossed wiring is better. One of the major problem with lung transplants, other than rejection and cancer, has been the wires pulling in the holes. It triggers rejection issues...I dont know if they pull out but they would get very sore and occasionally I could feel the chest plates rub together. It would kinda pop.... like popping one of your knuckles.
  They stitched the inside muscles with dissolving stitches but glued the outside incision. Very nice job and can barely see the cut. The chest tubes hurt more than the wires and took almost as long to heal up.
  Unlike a bypass surgery where the go up and down vertically, a lung transplant goes side to side. From armpit to armpit, called a clamshell incision. Reminds me of opening up the hood on an old VW. Tried to watch the operation on youtube once but didnt even make it half way...too painful to watch.

Very glad you made it thru your surgery. We often take it for granted that this is just something we have to go thru and there is no risk involved but today we buried a high school friend of mine. He had bypass in november and has had bleeding issues ever since, back in the hospital 5 more times until last week where he suddenly passed away.
  A little more than a week ago a family member fell and broke her hip and shoulder so while they were there they did a bypass on here also. Something went wrong and we buried her last monday.
  It's not easy getting old...so much for the golden years !

My doctor used staples to hold my right knee together. When they took the staples out of the incision, the doc said they were leaving four in. I didn't understand what he meant until I saw an x-ray of my knee. There's four staples in there, one on the right side, one on the left side, and two below the knee cap. They look like Romex staples.

I had old-fashioned metal staples (now removed) on the surface of the sternum, but there are wires inside tying the ribs together. Surgeon said he didn't have time for finesse when he opened up the rib cage, so had to repair more as he closed up.

Arch Hoagland said:
Could that be a wire some of you have mentioned?
Sounds like it. I doubt if it?s harmful other than it?s painful and annoying. Either check with your PCP or send an email to your cardiologist. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom