Suncruiser windshield leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich488

I?ve had this 05, 38j for about 18 mos and whenever I washed it a few drops of water would come down from the windshield. Now it?s raining quite a bit in NorCal and it?s really leaking a lot. No dampness anywhere else. In reading up on it here it seems that there will be rust around the meeting of glass and steel at the top.
I?ve got a quote for $2500 but I?m hoping that  is high. The gentleman says the glass will definitely break on removal. Another guy said it is 50/50.
Meanwhile just some masking tape across the top is doing fine at keeping all water out and it?s been raining all day.
Your thoughts?

Richard

A good glass shop should do better than 50/50, but it is very risky. Did $2,500 include two new windshields? Mine is doing the same. I used 1" wide all weather tape and it is working as well. I had the passenger side windshield removed and replaced at factory in Forest City and they didn't break it.

From what I've heard these are very prone to rusted framework under the trim which may run into a more extensive job. I put a strip of the stick-on rain gutter all across the top right over the trim to help divert the rain, but thats after the fact and on a leak free windshield to start with.

Rusty windshield frames is an endemic problem with Winnebago, mine has been 'fixed' twice at Forest City.

We have discussed this topic extensively in this board, search for windshield, rust, or windshield rust, etc.

I'l bet a narrow strip of Eternabond Tape would work as a temporary fix. Who knows, it may last for years.

The black rubber or flexible plastic strip that goes all around the edge of the glass is a decorative strip.  It is not weather tight.  Take your fingers and gently lift the rubber/plastic far enough out of the grove and look to see if there is rust.  It is not uncommon to find the steel square tube framing completely rusted through in places.

In Sept 2017 on my 2006 Sightseer, both windshields were replaced.  The frame was rusty most all the way around.  The shop ground off the rust, put navel jelly on and then painted the steel.

Cost was about $2900.  Both windshields were cracked so insurance picked up the charge minus my deductible.

As mentioned above this is a common problem so this is what I would do for the near term. Remove the two vertical metal moldings on either side of the MH, Then remove the top black rubber molding. This will expose the top of the windshield and support frame. The rubber molding just pulls off BTW. At this point I'd clean the dirt and any loose sealant you can and any rust you can without going nuts and possibly breaking the window. Once its clean I'd use a solvent like lacker thinner and wipe that area and then get a good sealant and seal up this entire area where the top edge of the window is exposed to the support frame and then put the rubber molding back on before the sealant dries then the two side metal moldings that hold the ends of the rubber molding. This will stop the leaks. the hardest part of this job is accessing the top molding, I used the bed of my pickup truck as a work platform rather than a ladder.

I have an 02 Journey that had a few good leaks and fixed it as noted above. Later that year a rock hit the pass side window so I had it replaced, I watched the guys fix it and to my surprise the metal support frame really was not rusted to bad, just some minor surface rust in a few small spots which is where the leaks where, They cleaned this areas up, treated it and reinstalled a new window.

I'd also say you can remove the plastic moldings on the inside of the MH around the windshield and get a very good idea on the rust condition for the windshield support frame!

hope this helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom