Towable 4 wheels down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

What are some cars that are towable 4 wheels down?

At this time I would Prefer a Automatic  but.....

I have been told that an automatic 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case will work, and a standard transmission.

I contacted ford about my automatic Turus and I was told it could be towed but found out yesterday that I would ruin the transmission after about 1000 miles.

So I am looking for a new car any suggestions?

Just purchased RV yesterday now the fun starts.......

New car?  Basically nothing any more has a real transfer case except maybe Jeep.  And theremis no way I would recomend them.  DDs Jeep has been sitting since Sept waiting for a new transmission.  After they started Lemon law buy back the transmission mysteriously appeared and got installed.
If you just want another something that can be towed 4 down, older Honda CRV, Suzuki Samuari, Sidekick, or Grand Vitara all can be.  I personally Like Suzukis for a frame on body, real 2 speed transfer case.

Basically nothing any more has a real transfer case except maybe Jeep.  And theremis no way I would recomend them
Well, I've been happy with a Jeep Wrangler as my toad for a number of years (on my second one, both automatic). I don't have the problem noted above, and many other folks don't either. I DO recommend a Jeep, especially if you have any thoughts of off-road/4WD trails.

And many lower end pickups have a manual transfer case (pretty much all 4WD, not AWD, have a transfer case -- some are push button/rotary switch, though). Some of the higher end pickups have special procedures to put the transfer case in neutral, even though it may not be a direct button, switch position, or command.

I too have towed many Jeeps 4 down for many years with no issues.  Here is a link to the 2019 Dinghy Towing Guide put out by Motor Home Magazine.  It lists all the current vehicles able to towed 4 down. 

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2019DinghyGuide.pdf

Remco Towing offers an electric transmission pump system that can make many cars towable that normally aren't. We've towed two automatic 4WD RAV4's over 50,000 miles so far, using a Remco pump. Our first RAV4, a 2002, was towed about 30,000 miles and is still in service as a spare car we leave at our upstate NY cottage for family use. The only transmission problem it ever had was a broken shift cable, something I can't blame on the pump... ;)

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

Here is a link to Remco Towing, they are the experts in which vehicles do or do not need modifications to allow towing behind your Motor Home.  Most non towable automatics can be modified to allow towing, and they can tell you what might be needed.  http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php
    You might also want to search our library or previous strings as this has been a frequent subject.
Oops I see Dutch just typed faster than me

Ed

donn said:
New car?  Basically nothing any more has a real transfer case except maybe Jeep.  And theremis no way I would recomend them.  DDs Jeep has been sitting since Sept waiting for a new transmission.  After they started Lemon law buy back the transmission mysteriously appeared and got installed.
If you just want another something that can be towed 4 down, older Honda CRV, Suzuki Samuari, Sidekick, or Grand Vitara all can be.  I personally Like Suzukis for a frame on body, real 2 speed transfer case.

Motorhome magazine has a yearly dingy guides for flat towing.  Remco.com has a listing of what vehicles can be towed and what needs to be done to do it.

Don't make this too hard unless you have special requirements. There are quite a few vehicles that are towable without any modifications and even more if you are willing to spend $1200 or so.  Check out the Dinghy Tow Guides on the Mortorhome Magazine website to get some ideas what may work for you. Doesn't have to be a new one - the guides go back many years.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

No, it doesn't have to be a Jeep and no, it doesn't have to be stick shift or 4WD.

Back
Top Bottom