Something in the RV making us sick...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there. We bought a 1984 21' leisure craft rv a few days ago that we will be fixing up. After hanging out in it for about a hour this morning we both got really dizzy and a bit nauseous and I have a little throat irritation (we're still feeling really crappy/ill even after being out of the rv for two hours). We are trying to figure out what it could be. It is currently still winterized, the propane is off (I double-checked the valve) It has not been run in 2 days nor has the generator so it is not exhaust fumes. I talked to the previous owner who said nothing but Carpet Fresh has been spraying inside, and they just had it on a three-day trip last week and everything was fine. Nothing new has been done to it in years, nothing new has been put inside that could cause fumes. Any ideas what it could possibly be? Thanks in advance for your help :)

A 1984 unit that never had a leak would be extremely rare.  So MOLD is a likely cause of your poor health. 
That's a guess but since mold is most often behind a panel or wall it's likely not something you can see but it
could still affect some people - like you, other people not so much.

Check all the areas around where the roof meets the walls inside and out - Also check for any soft spots in the floor.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

There are any number of things that can accumulate inside a closed up RV, but the most suspect is mold from hidden water leaks that has let an area stay damp.

You can get a mold test kit at stores like Home Depot.  Let it sit inside the closed up RV and see if any spores develop in the test dish.

It's also a good idea to open the windows and let the RV air out if it's been closed up for a while.

Thank you. There is some mold on a cushion where there was a leak (repaired) though it seems unlikely we would have such a strong reaction in just an hour? (I will be getting rid of these cushions )

You might see if anyone in your area does Ozone treatments for RV's.

See this video about using it on cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FYXEHFhqI

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6uP-skntY

I've never had issues with mold/allergies in my life, we felt great right before hanging out in the rv, and both of us feeling bad after? Coming down with something is unlikely. I've never been prone to psychosomatic reactions/illnesses.

theflyingpickle said:
I've never had issues with mold/allergies in my life, we felt great right before hanging out in the rv, and both of us feeling bad after? Coming down with something is unlikely. I've never been prone to psychosomatic reactions/illnesses.

Interesting, my wife and I sometimes get the same thing at the same time. It depends on if we were exposed together. For example Norwalk virus together or the flu at the same time. My wife and I must be an anomaly but it seems we get things together because we are together.

Psychosomatic illness can be influenced by many outside factors, Stress is one. It is still real in that you are ill

Might it also be advisable for these folks to get a hepa/charcoal filter going?  VOC standards have changed a lot over the years...is it possible that they're inhaling VOC compounds (carpet, glue, wood preservatives, etc) that they're unaccustomed to?  Just an idea.  Similar issues I think with some of the FEMA trailers and how people's health was affected.  Good luck!

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/volatile-organic-compounds-impact-indoor-air-quality

For reference...just an idea in case this is your culprit.  Good luck!

I would start with taking all the seat cushions and bedding out of the rv.  next day go in rv and see if you get ill feelings again.  Sometimes old musty new odors just take some getting use to.  We rented a steam cleaner with an old Class C rv we purchased years ago, cleaned everything, and what a difference. 

Thanks Spencer, good call, I am going to be removing almost all the fabrics/carpets, treating for mold (I have a mold tester and cleaners on the way) and cleaning really well, (it is super dusty) hopefully she will be happy then. In the meantime I'm opening the windows as the weather allows and airing it out as well as possible. I don't want to go through that again, I'm still feeling crappy after 6 hours but feeling better. That sucked :)

We bought a brand new travel trailer and it did that to us for two years.  We finally found two boards under our table that reaked of mold.  Took them out and it has been great ever since!  Keep looking until you find the problem.  Good luck!

I agree with the mold/mildew suggestion..  Sadly I can NOT advise on how to eliminate on a layered wall construction RV (I've done it on a single layer wall RV.. Chlorox. but getting into the walls.. Well. that's another story)  (Non layered wall means the same poly-styrene that is the outer "Skin" is also the inner "Skin")

The other option would be Formaldehyde but NOT on a 1980's unit.  ON a 2019 unit yes. but even a 2018 should have aired out enough by now so that would not be the issue.

In the meantime, you might want to wear anti-mold masks to reduce your intake ot mode spores and just plain dust while working in the RV.

Welcome to the Forum!

The symptoms sound much like CO poisoning.  Do you have a functioning CO alarm in the camper?  I know what you said about the propane off, but it may be worth checking.

grashley said:
Welcome to the Forum!

The symptoms sound much like CO poisoning.  Do you have a functioning CO alarm in the camper?  I know what you said about the propane off, but it may be worth checking.

I wondered about that too.  It does sound similar to CO2 poisoning. 

I thought co2 as well, though yes the propane is definitely off, my rv guy said it would have to have 2 leaks in that case to be leaking co2 into the rv which is unlikely. Also the people I bought it from just took a 4 day trip in it a week ago and all was well. A co2 detector is on the way from Amazon (as well as a mold test) , and my rv guy will be giving everything a thorough check this weekend when he reseals the roof. I will be doing all I can to also mitigate any mold (mold bomb, mold spray, removing all the fabrics, (carpets and cushions) replacing warped/water damaged panels and spraying behind them, and finally painting walls/ceiling with Kilz or the other sealer paint that starts with an "S" (can't remember the name :) I'm confident this will do the trick (it better, I'm still not feeling back to normal today :-(

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted :)

BTW, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide.  It's a harmless gas that you exhale with every breath and does wonders for plants, where photosynthesis turns it back into oxygen.

CO (no 2) is Carbon Monoxide.  It causes loss of consciousness and death by displacing oxygen in the bloodstream.

You want a CO detector to warn you if a combustion source is producing Carbon Monoxide.  A CO2 detector will simply go off every time you open a can of carbonated soda near it. 

Back
Top Bottom