Something in the RV making us sick...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a thought.  A couple of years ago both my wife and I found out that we are allergic to a certain cleaning compound.  Both of us in our 60's, been cleaning bathrooms since we were kids, and it wasn't until we went to work camp hosting that we found that we both reacted to a certain cleaner.  Could it be something that the PO used to clean the inside of the unit?

Lou Schneider said:
BTW, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide.  It's a harmless gas that you exhale with every breath and does wonders for plants, where photosynthesis turns it back into oxygen.

CO (no 2) is Carbon Monoxide.  It causes loss of consciousness and death by displacing oxygen in the bloodstream.

You want a CO detector to warn you if a combustion source is producing Carbon Monoxide.  A CO2 detector will simply go off every time you open a can of carbonated soda near it.
Sad Story:  Last week during a cold spell two Walmart employees in their 20s took their break by going out and sitting in a car parked with other employees cars.  That afternoon the police were called because they both were dead - carbon monoxide.  Nothing suspicious - just the car idling emitted enough CO to infiltrate the car and put them to sleep  - permanently.  SAD.

Years ago i lost an entire family of friends who spent the night at a football game in their rv.  Need those detectors for sure! CO is scary!

Ha! Yes Lou, you are correct :) And thanks, yes it is super scary, I just got the carbin monoxide detector today :) Still can't figure where it could becoming from with everything off and the engine not running, but taking precautions :)

UPDATE: So we removed all fabric from the space, cleaned, set off a mold bomb plus sprayed (just in case). I have a new carbon monoxide detector in there (it has not gone off) and though I did discover a very unfortunate leak into the closet, necessitating the removal of almost all the wet, rotting wood in there :-( the wood and area was not moldy, just wet. The last few work days in there we have felt just fine, though a little depressed at having to reframe the wood in the closet and reseal the roof :) We are thinking it may have been the carpet fresh crap the previous owner saturated everything with the day before we bought it. Thanks again everyone!

That's all good news. You found the source of what was making you sick, and in the process found a leak before it became a major issue, and you installed a CO detector. Sounds like your guarding angle was watching over you.

Songlad things are better.  When we bought our sticks and stones house here, i became very sick with asthma. It was from all the perfume packets they had in each room.  Took about a monthto get the air fresh again.  It could have been your carpet fresh! 

I'm so glad to hear you found the cause!  Hopefully it will be permanently fixed!

ArdraF

sad all the natural, and man made toxins in our daily lives. i have lung problems. so those little stink pads send me into a asthma attack.
then people smoking. but there is this black mold that can kill people. yes it grows in a s&b house.

get a top of the line air cleaner filter, ( i have no dust, junk floating around in my house :), and change them often. and let windows stay open a lot.

Back
Top Bottom