Want 4x4 truck but higher then 2x2 - Can I get the 5th wheel level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfar

I have had a 2x2 truck pulling my 5th wheel. I would like to get a 4x4. But I worry that I will not be able to get the RV and truck to be level going down the road.
I have seen a number of 5th wheels that are higher in the front then the back.
I also have a air bag 5th wheel hitch in the bed of my truck. My concern is that if I lower the kingpin ,the RV will hit the top of the bed when I hit a bump.
Am I over thinking this?
dfar 

What about air bags on the truck instead of the hitch?

The trailer doesn't need to be perfectly level going down the road. It just needs to be front heavy for stability.

Maintain minimum 5" clearance between the bottom side of the RV and the truck side rails. Preferably 6". They say you'll be putting more weight on the rear tires of the RV but I don't know about that. You can always flip the axles so that the springs are on top of the axles. That can be quite a job. Requires a little welding.

Assuming that you get a hitch and pin box combination that will maintain the minimum 5-6 inch clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the 5W then you will have to move the 5W axles from on top of the springs to underneath the springs to raise the height of the RV.

What truck are you getting.  I went from a 2011 F-250 2WD truck to a 2019 4X4.  Yes, the truck sits a lot higher.  And I was worried same as you.  But the first time I hooked up, I was pleasantly surprised.  Not only did it sit level, it looks great.  And it tows perfect.  I am still amazed that neither the truck nor the trailer needed any adjustment of anything.  Or the hitch for that matter.  Here is a picture of both my old truck and new truck with the camper attached.  So far my worries are put to rest.

Attachments

• DSCN0553 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCN0553 (Medium).jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00144 (Medium).jpeg
    DSC00144 (Medium).jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 48
WARNING - THREAD  HIJACK ATTEMPT

Ed:  in your pics, I note your landing gear is not completely retracted.  Has this ever been an issue?  How do you decide how high to raise them?  It would make set up and hookup about 5 min faster!  :-\

You know, someone else mentioned that, and I hadn't ever thought about it before.  I have a funky weird driveway (a nice little bump between the height of the driveway and the road), and have not had any problem.  I've had it out a few times like this, but did notice in other pictures of my rig that the gear was up much higher.  I will have to pay more attention (just to see what the deal is) next time I'm out.  Which looks like it may be spring break here in March.  I'll try to remember to get back here and report in.

But to reiterate, as it looks in those pictures, I have not had any issue.

depends on how high the 4X4 truck is.
i have a 1 wheel drive street truck, (does not tow anything). and it sits pretty high, for stock..
my ford 3/4 ton 4X4 truck sits ok high still a stocker.
but my cj-7 sits even higher (not stock).
but as to any fifth wheel sure you can lift them. but take notice as to the flex force to the frame, or you will find this interesting built in auto drop. and going higher = tip over problems.  yes you can adjust the higth of the hitch mount. spring over trailer axles.  new spring hanger mounts but they MUST be made far stronger than factory.

edjunior said:
You know, someone else mentioned that, and I hadn't ever thought about it before.  I have a funky weird driveway (a nice little bump between the height of the driveway and the road), and have not had any problem.  I've had it out a few times like this, but did notice in other pictures of my rig that the gear was up much higher.  I will have to pay more attention (just to see what the deal is) next time I'm out.  Which looks like it may be spring break here in March.  I'll try to remember to get back here and report in.

But to reiterate, as it looks in those pictures, I have not had any issue.

I raise mine ALL the way every time. The first time I did it, I used a magic marker and put a horizontal line across the inner square tubing (the one that moves) about 1/2" down. Now when I retract the legs, I stop when I get close to the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom