Two thousand AND nineteen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

One of my biggest pet peeves. Just had a meeting and listened to the boss say this about 10 times. Was it "Nineteen hundred AND ninety seven"? NO!

Ok, rant over. I feel better...somewhat. Back to work.

Aren't they both correct? And in fact I would say that the AND version is how you would say it if just using numbers.....  ;D

Saying  20  19  is really just a shortened version....

Two Thousand Nineteen = 2019.
Two Thousand AND nineteen = 2000.19

Or in another branch of math 2000 (11111001100)
and 19 10011 or 1000 which is 8 in decile if I did the math right.

So no they are not the same.

Larry N. said:
AND means plus...  :eek: ::) ??? (ducking)  :eek: :-\ ;D ;D

No it does not
plus is an addition operative
AND is a Boolean operative. I demonstrated above.

When it comes to Binary there are only 10 kinds of people. those who understand. and those who do not

No it does not
plus is an addition operative
AND is a Boolean operative. I demonstrated above.

John, "and" is a very versatile word. In common conversation, besides its obvious use as a conjuntion, it does, indeed, get used as "plus," such as, "two and two equals four, four and four equals eight..." In computerese, it does indeed get used, along with "or" and "not" for specific boolean operations. In fact, in computerese there are many, many words that are stolen from ordinary usage, such as "child," " parent," "halt," "run," among others, and many math terms are used also (recursive, et al).

For mathematicians, who speak a language that I don't, there are all kinds of conventions that us commoners rarely come across.

Most of us here are commoners...

For 1,365,527 I'd say, "One million three hundred sixty five thousand five hundred twenty seven." There's a 50-50 chance that an "and" will get thrown in between "hundred" and "twenty" and/or between "hundred" and "sixty."

I think it's the difference between English and US English. Most Brits I think would use the and....

jackiemac said:
I think it's the difference between English and US English. Most Brits I think would use the and....
It's probably more regional than that. I've heard some folks say something like, "Back in nineteen and sixty five..." And it's quite common that I hear something like, "five hundred and five." I think it's more technically "correct" to leave out the "and" but it's used a lot, and not just in Colorado -- I've heard it many places.

Of course many folks speak in a "slangy" fashion most of the time, yet drop the slang when writing (perhaps more formally than the web, though).

John From Detroit said:
One Million, Three Hundred Sixty Five Thousand, Five hundred twenty seven.

No if, and's or buts about it.
AND thats only in Detroit, where things are getting really weird.>>>D

My grandpa always said 19 and 9 when asked when he was born. I used to ask him frequently because I liked to hear him say it :)

[quote author=jackiemac]I think it's the difference between English and US English.[/quote]

LOL Jackie, it's definitely a function of where we grew up and went to school. There could be a parallel discussion on money, very much so with pre-decimal Brit money  - pounds, shillings and pence  ;D

Back
Top Bottom