GPS for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarsMac said:
We were 7 miles NE of Boulder, and cell service was horrible.
Now we are an hour away from anywhere, and cell service beautiful.

Lars,

We were up in your old area a few weeks back and I had the need to venture into one of the adjacent towns for something.  As I was frequenting the establishment I asked the guy who he used for cell phone service provider.  I got a quick Verizon, which I had also recently switched over to. 

I rarely lost signal the entire two weeks and if I did it was probably on a trail next to rock walls.

He mentioned that he hears alot of complaints from "other" persons using "other" A+_ Rated, nationwide major cell carriers. Cant remember the name of the town though, near Estes Park.

Tom55555 said:
If you have a smart phone, you don't need a Garmin.

NOT going that route. Using my smart phone and google maps is why I have a Garmin 770. I was on a trip a couple years ago and thought I didn't need a new Garmin. Drove to Searcy, Ark to have my windows repaired on the Dolphin, then up to Eldon, Missouri. From Searcy to Eldon, my phone had me on at least 80 miles of 2 lane back roads. Did lots of cussing that day. I bought the 770 as soon as I got home and put the atlas back in the coach. I have found that the Garmin puts me on much better roads than the phone. 

X-Roughneck said:
Lars,

We were up in your old area a few weeks back and I had the need to venture into one of the adjacent towns for something.  As I was frequenting the establishment I asked the guy who he used for cell phone service provider.  I got a quick Verizon, which I had also recently switched over to. 

I rarely lost signal the entire two weeks and if I did it was probably on a trail next to rock walls.

He mentioned that he hears alot of complaints from "other" persons using "other" A+_ Rated, nationwide major cell carriers. Cant remember the name of the town though, near Estes Park.

Yeah, I tried Verizon, too. It was somewhat better, but we seemed to be in a dead zone where everybody had marginal service.

I and others have had conversations with Google about providing some sort of RV and Trucking related mapping tools. And Google seems to feel that those applications are well supported by GPS services, and Goole seems to hav no interest in that market.

So, while GMaps can do a lot with traffic monitoring and routing, we are wise to keep that GPS in our tool bags.
I would like to see Garmin present a more "Google-like" display.
So, I probably will continue to run both when I am in unfamiliar territory.

Back
Top Bottom